Volvo Ocean Race...No Drones allowed?

The city of Santa Monica has banned the use of drones on public beaches.
And if I'm not standing on the beach while flying my UAV over it?

Three little words. Airspace is Federal. Lots of local municipalities and large event organizers either forget those three words exist or simply ignore them. And if no one challenges them on it, then they get away with it. But them getting away with it because no one has challenged them on it does not equate to them having the right to do it.

From my perspective in the UK, I think part of the problem is that (to my knowledge, feel free to correct me) the rules and recommedations in the US are pretty loose. I find the rules in the UK occasionally a bit on the tight side sometimes - however discussions like this one are unlikely to ever even start in the UK. Flying within 150m of, or over a substantially congested area, within 50m of any structure or over an open air gathering of over 1000 people are not permitted, without explicit CAA approval.

All I am saying I guess, is that if the FAA had "slightly" tighter rules, it would make things much less ambiguous and avoid run ins with private organisers trying to be God.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamYankee
The gaps between federal and local law do not entitle us to do as we please. Use common sense. Flying over a major sporting event without permission is asking for trouble. If you want to be that guy, I can't stop you. But I will continue to advise you against it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
All I am saying I guess, is that if the FAA had "slightly" tighter rules, it would make things much less ambiguous and avoid run ins with private organisers trying to be God.
The Federal Aviation Act was signed into law in 1958 and it designated all navigable airspace the US and it territories as the jurisdiction of the federal government. But local governments and/or private organizations have been attempting to circumvent and/or ignore that almost since the day it was signed. There is a long history of towns and cities trying to pass (or actually passing) laws which prevent air traffic over their land at certain times of day under certain circumstances. More often than not a civics lesson for those in charge ensues as a result.

Airspace is federal. Simple as that. UAV's are a relatively new player in the game. But the game is still exactly the same as it ever was.

I am not disputing whether it is federal or not. I was saying that laws (recommendations) could easily exist at that level which made it clear what was a good idea and what wasn't. If such a framework was in place there would be less need for ad hoc, knee-jerk, ambiguous, Draconion rules being brought in at a local level. I was just reflecting on what we have in the UK, which is a bit of a pain in some ways as a hobby flier, but the UK CAA believe that articles 166 and 167 of the Air Navigation Order are working well so far.

I guess you think only phantoms fly cams WRONG
And yes their are "drones" that can and do shoot better .
Do you live in a box under a rock ? Come on man you are just so focused on a phantom with a GoPro .

Good luck at the race :p
So you're fine if they just ban DJI quads? Only the Phantom line?

I don't agree with all of the restrictions but flying a drone over a major sporting event without permission is simply stupid.
But, unless the FAA issues a TFR or NOTAM to the effect, it is NOT illegal.

The gaps between federal and local law do not entitle us to do as we please. Use common sense. Flying over a major sporting event without permission is asking for trouble. If you want to be that guy, I can't stop you. But I will continue to advise you against it.
Flying over people or simply fly in the airspace above an event? In this case they are attempting to ban people from an area that they have a legal right to fly in. As far as "asking for trouble", I agree. Buy I think we'd all agree that if you don't sometimes stand up for your right you will soon lose them. That is where I'm coming from. If we don't stand up for our rights now we will continue to see people curbing our ability to fly anywhere.

Flying over people or simply fly in the airspace above an event? In this case they are attempting to ban people from an area that they have a legal right to fly in. As far as "asking for trouble", I agree. Buy I think we'd all agree that if you don't sometimes stand up for your right you will soon lose them. That is where I'm coming from. If we don't stand up for our rights now we will continue to see people curbing our ability to fly anywhere.

^^^^This.

And exactly grants said organizers the right to say who can who cannot fly in the airspace above their event? Airspace is Federally regulated. Like it or not, once you place yourself or your craft .01" above the surface of the earth in sustained controlled flight, you leave the area where Volvo has any say in the matter.
Let me add to that...
By the time the race is on...
Pilot's license - check
FAA 333 Exemption - check
COA - check

Not in a class B,C or D airspace - checkmate!
I'll be there... flying!

So you're fine if they just ban DJI quads? Only the Phantom line?
Not sure how you got that out of what I said ?:eek:
I was making a point about him stating that no "drone" can take professional footage .
This affects all of us micro to the big money quads . :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj