No Drones - by city ordinance

Reaction score
Im seeing more and more signs posted in the country (jefferson county open space) and local parks (garden of the gods) in Colorado stating no drones allowed. Last I recall, the FAA regulates the airspace, not local jurisdiction/municipalities. Now I havent pushed it yet by flying in one of these areas yet, but darn tempted to see what would happen. And if I'd be asked to leave or get a ticket?

Seems more and more cities are jumping on board for no drone flights over their open space land.

My question is, what are the real consequences?
Has anyone been cited? Did you pay a fine or take it to court?

Take it for flying above the park or launching from the park?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Careful what you ask for. Federal is supposed to be limited to interstate or general welfare.

Noticed a big sign on my way into Roxborough State Park today. I guess I never really thought about it. Just never wanted to push it. I fly ultrlights and although we have a lot of gray areas of where we're allowed to fly, we try not to push the limits to avoid any future laws/regulations.

From what I have read, they can regulate take off/landing/operation from their property, but not the airspace over it. Takeoff and lane from outside the park. Autonomous SW (litchi or Autopilot) can be quite helpful. Plan carefully with the aid of Google Earth Pro, then fly from the perimeter.

Reactions: Richard Gozinya
Kind of courious about all this too. What about hand launching and catching. Wonder if this would be a way around it.

Had a guy on here and we had a short conversation about shooting the space needle in Seattle. Mind you he had an aerial shot of the needle as his advitar. He stated he knew the personnel that worked there and they would confiscate any drone they found flying around the needle. I thought it was a little arrogant stating you can't do something or we'll take your property away, but oh by the way, here's what it looks like when you do it. Anyway... What are your feelings on this? Is the needle a county owned building or?

Reactions: lonjsnyder
Kind of courious about all this too. What about hand launching and catching. Wonder if this would be a way around it.
You are still "operating" the quad from property where such action is prohibited. In the situation you describe, if you use Litchi or Autopilot to fly an autonomous orbit around the space needle that you launch from a block or two away (not on park property), they can't do much about it. Now, depending on time of day and crowds, you could be cited by the police for flying over crowds and reckless flight. At 2:00 am that might be a different story though if no people are around.

From what I have read, they can regulate take off/landing/operation from their property, but not the airspace over it. Takeoff and lane from outside the park. Autonomous SW (litchi or Autopilot) can be quite helpful. Plan carefully with the aid of Google Earth Pro, then fly from the perimeter.

Right on
You are still "operating" the quad from property where such action is prohibited. In the situation you describe, if you use Litchi or Autopilot to fly an autonomous orbit around the space needle that you launch from a block or two away (not on park property), they can't do much about it. Now, depending on time of day and crowds, you could be cited by the police for flying over crowds and reckless flight. At 2:00 am that might be a different story though if no people are around.

You are correct, rules say no take off or landing on the property. The roads through these propreties are howver maintaned by the county, so public raods. As long as I take off and land on public DOT raods, tbey shouldnt, have a case should I fly over the subject restricted airspace, correct?

Just wondering if anyone else encountered similar cituations and outcome.

Right on

You are correct, rules say no take off or landing on the property. The roads through these propreties are howver maintaned by the county, so public raods. As long as I take off and land on public DOT raods, tbey shouldnt, have a case should I fly over the subject restricted airspace, correct?

Just wondering if anyone else encountered similar cituations and outcome.

I'm not sure I quite follow your logic. Isn't the park public property? The roads through the park may be maintained by one department or another but that doesn't mean they are owned by some entity other than the same entity that owns the park. You might be able to come to a more clear understanding of who owns what by making a few well placed inquiries.

What about calling the park headquarters and asking if they control the airspace over the park? Of course they do not. When you find somebody in a position of authority who admits they do not own the airspace or control it you can ask what might happen if somebody overflys the park while piloting from out side of its borders.

In another thread I recently wrote about national parks and explained that while they cannot cite someone for overflying a national park while piloting from outside its borders it might be possible for the pilot to be cited for endangering or disturbing wildlife or people. This would be quite separate from the act of flying in and of itself.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just wanted to weigh in here. I'm frustrated as well that a lot of local towns, parks and even states are enacting laws restricting flying drones. Legally they cannot restrict the flight of a drone over an area with special designation like Washington DC. The FAA has clear authority to regulate the National Air Space (NAS) that extends from the ground to the heavens. Part 107 that goes into effect on August 29 clarifies this even more tightly. The snag is that a lot of these towns can make takeoff and landing a violation so even though you may be able to fly over the area you'll have to takeoff and land outside of their banned area. I really feel like once Part 107 is the law, there will be a divide between "hobbyists" and drone Pilots that pass that exam and I'm hoping that many of these bans won't apply to someone passing the test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eric0669

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1