Vision+ remove all the wifi guts

Reaction score
So I've got two Vision+ that have damaged cameras. I'll be upgrading to a Mavic Pro or P4P in the spring, but for now wanted to turn these two into flying mounts for other cameras, mainly a Hero 5 Black and a Theta SC. For both I'll be attaching a RAM mount to the bottom so I can adapt to whatever camera gear I choose. I'm not worried about gimbal, I'll be shooting stills only. I don't care about FPV. Telemetry would be handy but not required. So here's my question(s):

1. Is it possible to get telemetry data without the camera/gimbal unit connected?

2. If the answer to 1 is no, is it hard to just rip out the rest of the wifi downlink hardware and just leave the control link? This would be mainly to lessen the interference in the 2.4Ghz range for wifi connection to GoPro or Theta and to lighten the drone.

To answer your question:

1) yes,
Let me explain, the power for the wifi module goes through the gimbal FIRST, hence no camera, no wifi. So you must Re-route your wifi to gimbal wire, back up to top board and connect it directly to CAM port on p2 mainboard, this will power up module and provide telemetry.
( added : also known as wifi module bypass )

As for hard to rip out guts, not hard, it is the same as a p2 ( any version ) research p2 and go pro, most use a mini OSD, receiver, transmitter, and monitor, as well as a special cable, with aftermarket, or zen muse gimbal, there are lots of options, as I've upgraded a p2v to a p2v+, and Vicea versa! All the main boards are the same ( later versions having the zen muse port added )
Also ( beware ) as I've come across a few boards with an 8 port CAM connector, where most are a 6 port, make sure if it is an 8, you plug it accordingly ( pos, and negative ) mostly ( 1st 2 pins closest to edge of board are COM pins ( Telemetry ) middle 2 are Pos and Neg pins ) last 2 unused, I've not tested the 8 port ones, as they were repairs and did not want to risk burnout!

Lastly
I need a working wifi module, if yours work, I'd swap you a perfectly working plus camera ( mint ) for a working wifi module! ( let me know ) I have 5 cameras and no modules! Working on a fix with help from a friend, on reflash the NAND on the modules, as I have 9 bad ones, but no luck as of yet!

Hope this helps?
J Dot
:cool:

Ps: or just take all the cam stuff out, and only have the tx to bird control, but I believe the GoPro runs 5.8, so you might have to change your receiver and tx to a 2.4 Ghz set? Like the original p2

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuether
To answer your question:

1) yes,

1. Awesome! I'll look into this. Thanks for all the info. It would be handy to have telemetry working even if I don't get FPV.

Seems the working wifi modules are a hot commodity right now, good to know. I may have one of the two available at some point, I'll let you know.

I'm kinda leaning towards ripping out all the cam stuff. May put the prop guards on one and lighten it as much as possible and play around with learning to fly in manual mode and such. Use it as a practice drone to improve flying skill.

Hero 5 Black uses 2.4 and 5.8GHz with no prioritization so I guess I'll see how well it work with control radio running in 5.8.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: J Dot

This worked beauty! I removed the other cables and cleaned up the cable runs and now have telemetry working on both P2V+ with no camera mounted. Mounted the prop guards and enabled Manual mode... now to practice.
Thanks again!

My Pleasure!

GO HAVE SOME FUN!

Challenge yourself,
Daily
Things like front forward, left forward, right forward, and lastly rear forward. These will help you get out of any tough situation!
Orientation
Is the key to a good way pilot.
Then later when you get video ready,
Place items out in the yard, and fly all around it, while always keeping it in the frame!

But most of all,
Just have fun!

Take care, and the best of luck to you!
J Dot

I never have, but I remember there being one avail for the vision crafts, but very expensive! I think it was part of the ground station? But cannot remember off the top of my head! Lol

I've never done it! Let me know your findings!

J Dot

Thx again for your quick response!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
If u come across ANYTHING that might help PLEASE let me know. Thx

To answer your question:

1) yes,
Let me explain, the power for the wifi module goes through the gimbal FIRST, hence no camera, no wifi. So you must Re-route your wifi to gimbal wire, back up to top board and connect it directly to CAM port on p2 mainboard, this will power up module and provide telemetry.
( added : also known as wifi module bypass )

As for hard to rip out guts, not hard, it is the same as a p2 ( any version ) research p2 and go pro, most use a mini OSD, receiver, transmitter, and monitor, as well as a special cable, with aftermarket, or zen muse gimbal, there are lots of options, as I've upgraded a p2v to a p2v+, and Vicea versa! All the main boards are the same ( later versions having the zen muse port added )
Also ( beware ) as I've come across a few boards with an 8 port CAM connector, where most are a 6 port, make sure if it is an 8, you plug it accordingly ( pos, and negative ) mostly ( 1st 2 pins closest to edge of board are COM pins ( Telemetry ) middle 2 are Pos and Neg pins ) last 2 unused, I've not tested the 8 port ones, as they were repairs and did not want to risk burnout!

Lastly
I need a working wifi module, if yours work, I'd swap you a perfectly working plus camera ( mint ) for a working wifi module! ( let me know ) I have 5 cameras and no modules! Working on a fix with help from a friend, on reflash the NAND on the modules, as I have 9 bad ones, but no luck as of yet!

Hope this helps?
J Dot

Ps: or just take all the cam stuff out, and only have the tx to bird control, but I believe the GoPro runs 5.8, so you might have to change your receiver and tx to a 2.4 Ghz set? Like the original p2
J Dot are you still looking for a wifi from P2v+ I have 2 version 2 message me.

Phxbird57
Message coming your way!
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it!

J Dot

J DOT,
Can u put a light bridge in s vision 2 plus?
Sorry I am late to the party. Yes I have a lightbridge setup on my P2 V+. After the first owner crashed it and destroyed the gimbal, I added a lightbridge with Zenmuse H4-3D and Love it!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl