Video size for dummies?

Reaction score
I am completely befuddled by 4k, 1080, etc, as well as fps rates and why to use certain combinations. Can anyone recommend a good basic document or book on the subject? I am a novice editor but love the challenge. I figure garbage in garbage out but in video, what constitutes garbage in? I understand jello and its relationship to vibrations (I.e. Unbalanced props) but is there also a relationship to fps and or transmission bitrates?

I am completely befuddled by 4k, 1080, etc, as well as fps rates and why to use certain combinations. Can anyone recommend a good basic document or book on the subject? I am a novice editor but love the challenge. I figure garbage in garbage out but in video, what constitutes garbage in? I understand jello and its relationship to vibrations (I.e. Unbalanced props) but is there also a relationship to fps and or transmission bitrates?

Check this out.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-change-video-dimensions-and-frame-rate-on-y.html

Reactions: Jeff48920
Please look into what i say as i may be off....but 50-60fps is optimum when filming fast moving objects.
1080p vs 4k converted to 1080p....
apparently 4k converted to 1080p will hold all the true color information where a native 1080p recording will loose some of this due to compression. The conversion process can be timely and intensive so that is something to consider.
ND filters and correct shutter speeds can remove artifacting and jello.
I too hope to get a better insight to camera modes and settings as i can see that just like any other field there is a set of standards that can be applied to get the best output...
Hope a "pro" can throw out some nuggets of wisdom... (simplified) ;)

Hopefully that book will answer some of your questions if not all of them. As a retired television repair tech and videographer for over 20 years I find it isn't easy to answer questions in a way that a non-technical person can under stand so a book helps.

Please look into what i say as i may be off....but 50-60fps is optimum when filming fast moving objects.
1080p vs 4k converted to 1080p....
apparently 4k converted to 1080p will hold all the true color information where a native 1080p recording will loose some of this due to compression. The conversion process can be timely and intensive so that is something to consider.
ND filters and correct shutter speeds can remove artifacting and jello.
I too hope to get a better insight to camera modes and settings as i can see that just like any other field there is a set of standards that can be applied to get the best output...
Hope a "pro" can throw out some nuggets of wisdom... (simplified) ;)

Nugget for the day. ;) It's not fps the that optimize fast moving objects that's what fast shutter speeds are for. :D

Just as long as there just nuggets.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic