Video footage (newbie)

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to these and taking video so apologies if this is basic stuff.
My footage plays fine on ipad mini 2 however when i transfer footage from drones sd card to imac ( late 2009) it is very jerky.
Looking at my imac its runnning Sierra
Procressor -2.66ghz intel core i5
memory- 4gb 1067 mhz ddr3
graphics- ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 mb.

checking the info from the footage it reads
dimensions 1920x1080
codecs H.264.

Is it just the case that my Imac cant handle this video and what if anything can i do and how (in laymans terms).
thanks
jebs

In my experience, jerky video like that, indicates that your ram is not high enough.
Windows or Mac will give you a problem. The video you are viewing on the ipad is compressed.

I have a laptop that performed the same way. I increased the memory to 8gb and it played much smoother.

Using ram like G.Skill will perform better than others, as it's designed for gamers.

My current PC is running 24GB Ram and I only get issues with viewers (quicktime, VLC, etc) trying to play off the memory card.
When I transfer to the hard drive, it usually plays just fine.

You could test to see if it's the video or the mac by uploading a clip to a google drive.
This extra step can help to determine if it's the camera or the mac.

In my experience, jerky video like that, indicates that your ram is not high enough.
Windows or Mac will give you a problem. The video you are viewing on the ipad is compressed.

I have a laptop that performed the same way. I increased the memory to 8gb and it played much smoother.

Using ram like G.Skill will perform better than others, as it's designed for gamers.

My current PC is running 24GB Ram and I only get issues with viewers (quicktime, VLC, etc) trying to play off the memory card.
When I transfer to the hard drive, it usually plays just fine.

You could test to see if it's the video or the mac by uploading a clip to a google drive.
This extra step can help to determine if it's the camera or the mac.
Thanks Eirik
I suppose trying my sd card in a more modern imac wold be a starting point
regards
john

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl