Video editing amazing footage takes a lot of time :(

Reaction score
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAccp_Ehm7w[/youtube]

I have hours of footage of this stuff and it's taking too long to edit. By the time I get some good stuff down, the next weekend has come and I am off filming something new. Just wanted to see what everyone else does or if I just have to dig in and spend the time doing it. Currently this is my process:

1) Load all the videos of the day into Sony Vegas
2) Watch through the video and split and scenes that I think are worthy
3) Spend hours trying to find a some that YouTube will allow me to put in the background
4) Sync up scenes with the music
5) Publish

Step 3 is the biggest pain in the arse ever. I see some videos with popular songs and links to the iTunes store but it looks this is only for bigger companies or something. YouTube's auto swap music sucks a lot and I have heard the music a bunch of times on other people's videos.

The watching through the clips is a lot of work too but I don't think there is an easier solution while still getting all the good shots. I watch them in fast forward but it's still a very long process.

Any tips? Or should I just stop complaining and posting on these forums - and get back to work on editing instead?

SeeUAV said:
Step 3 is the biggest pain in the arse ever. I see some videos with popular songs and links to the iTunes store but it looks this is only for bigger companies or something. YouTube's auto swap music sucks a lot and I have heard the music a bunch of times on other people's videos.

If you use music on YouTube that is copyrighted, you can acknowledge content and it will be allowed to play.

Go to Video Manager on YouTube, and on the left hand side there is a list - select copyright notices.You can then click on the blue link beside each video 'video blocked in some countries' and acknowledge the tracks that you are using. Works for me 99% of the time.

I hear ya...
For step #2, what I like to do and saves a little time is:

While watching thru the video (yes you gotta do it at least once) rather than spitting the clip during playback by pushing "S" (in Sony Vegas), I just let it play out and rather jot down in a clean piece of paper the start/end Time sections that show good footage (particularly when flying in a straight line), and jotting notes indicating where in the clip it would look good.
Then go back to those times and split the clip at your timeframes to keep the meat and delete the fat.

This seems to work (for me) much better for very long clips rather than chopping it up initially to small pieces which gets messy and confusing.

I agree in the end it gets tedious and I end up rushing and getting sloppy though ...lol

Thanks guys! I was expecting replies such as "get off your lazy butt and stop sooking" but you have actually replied with really useful tips. Now I just have to get off my butt and implement these changes :) Seriously though - thank you. You have saved me time and the remaining strands of hair that weren't pulled out due to frustration.

happydays said:
If you use music on YouTube that is copyrighted, you can acknowledge content and it will be allowed to play.

Go to Video Manager on YouTube, and on the left hand side there is a list - select copyright notices.You can then click on the blue link beside each video 'video blocked in some countries' and acknowledge the tracks that you are using. Works for me 99% of the time.

Very good to know!

Some good tips there.
I edit a lot of video (not as much Vision+ footage as like) and yes it can be boring.

Coming into quad flying I've carried over habits from my everyday camera work, which is I do a lot of takes and start/stop recording often. I find that the last take is often the best and it's amazing how you remember while editing which takes worked.
E.g. You may remember flying close to that tree as you started your shot and you jerked direction later on so you had another go at it and recorded another take. In those first few seconds you remember that shot was no good so saved time not going through the whole footage and move on to the next take/file.
This won't work for material that you have to stay recording such as a wedding (which I refuse to do unless it's family) or a full motorbike race but if you know you just filmed a great bike jump, hit stop, start recording quickly, then you'll know to go directly to the end of the take.
Using a general video camera you can also write it down while on shoot but that's a bit dangerous while flying.

I also use Sony Vegas. Another tip is, it's well worth learning as many keyboard shortcuts as you can.

Hope that helps.

thats why i pay a $100.00 an hour to my video editor for my commercial videos :)

a five minute video takes about 3 hours of edition... :eek:

chapsrlz said:
thats why i pay a $100.00 an hour to my video editor for my commercial videos :)

a five minute video takes about 3 hours of edition... :eek:

That's a lot of $ but if you've got the work to warrant it all the better for you. I'm jealous!
Video work is only one of my sources of income though I'm working to change that.

Double-D said:
That's a lot of $ but if you've got the work to warrant it all the better for you. I'm jealous!
Video work is only one of my sources of income though I'm working to change that.

this is the kind of video i pay for.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVIyIHNUquA[/youtube]

there's a lot of postproduction, thats why im paying $100 an hour.
luckily for my, i dont pay from my wallet, its sponsored :)

chapsrlz said:
Double-D said:

this is the kind of video i pay for.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVIyIHNUquA[/youtube]

there's a lot of postproduction, thats why im paying $100 an hour.
luckily for my, i dont pay from my wallet, its sponsored :)

Great work, even if I didn't understand a word of it. I especially liked the lighting on the subject playing guitar.
Your editor is definitely worth the money. That's a lot of footage put together extremely well.

I produce a lot of real estate. I shoot, write the script, edit and my wife does the voice overs. http://youtu.be/PRwvJupaZrs

I also film a lot of dance school competitions and concerts with a mate. 2 camera's mixed live. It's boring as hell but those dance mums all want a DVD of their little angel. http://youtu.be/RP2hvrJlIpQ

I have been editing internet video for close to 15yrs now. I look back on something I remember spending 14-16hrs on that I would now be embarrassed to show. No matter how good I am, I will never feel like I'm good enough.

Now if I only had a copy of AVID software!!! Anyone that has AVID and wouldn't mind sharing it,....I'm here. :)

flyNfrank said:
I have been editing internet video for close to 15yrs now. I look back on something I remember spending 14-16hrs on that I would now be embarrassed to show. No matter how good I am, I will never feel like I'm good enough.

Now if I only had a copy of AVID software!!! Anyone that has AVID and wouldn't mind sharing it,....I'm here. :)

What sort of video work do you do?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl