Vertical drifting issue after firmware update

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been lurking here for several months and have learned a lot from your discussions! Hoping you can shed some light on this issue with my Phantom 3 Professional.

Yesterday I updated my firmware on my phantom and transmitter to the latest version, no apparent issues with the installation process. I recalibrated the IMU, did my compass calibration and my normal preflight checks before takeoff.

I climbed to about 2 metres and released the stick to put it into a hover, but the phantom continued to climb at a very slow rate with 0.0 m/s indication on the vertical speed indicator. I descended the phantom back down to 2 metres and released the stick and it continued to slowly drop, again, no vertical speed indication. The altitude reading doesn't seem to adjust to these minor shifts in height , resulting in discrepancies; for instance it might read positive 4.5 metres or negative 2.3 when the drone is actually hovering at 1.5. The altitude and vertical speed readings DO seem to indicate intentional altitude changes resulting from control inputs, but not the changes resulting from the drifting. The issue also seems to be intermittent; sometimes the Phantom halts it's vertical movement immediately when the controls are released like it normally should, other times it drifts.

I have made sure the phantom is in GPS positioning mode and not ATTI, and have recalibrated the IMU a couple of times, once after cooling the Phantom in the fridge.

Any ideas what might be causing this? The firmware update? IMU issue? Something wrong with the barometric sensor? Any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Many thanks for your assistance. Best wishes.

Does it stop drifting on its own or do you have to intervene? Try re-calibrating your sticks.

Does it stop drifting on its own or do you have to intervene? Try re-calibrating your sticks.
I do have to intervene to stop the drift. I've just recalibrated the RC and will check the results after my flight battery recharges. Thanks! :)

Did a test flight. At first the problem persisted but at a reduced level. Then an error message about a failure in the sonar system popped up (I can't remember the exact wording of the message) recommending that I should land as soon as possible.

I landed the phantom but decided to risk a second flight and oddly enough the issue seemed to vanish other than a slight inaccuracy in the altitude reading (less than a metre).

I'll have to do a few more test flights in a few days when my schedule permits. Hopefully the issue will resolve itself or be fixed with the next firmare update. If anybody else has any ideas, please feel free to comment.

Many thanks for your assistance bbfpv! :)

Hey Faxstar, I just posted last night about my phantom3 drifting to the right during Flight. And same for me it just vanished! Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I have the same issue and i havent done the update yet. It only happens when i first take off, so ill usually fly it around once and bring it back to a low altitude and everything is fine again. It doesnt happen all the time too.

I saw this this morning (the vertical drift)... but did a stick recalibration and it went away and was rock solid after that.

Thanks guys. I hate to see other folks having problems but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Same issue for me. I did the update yesterday and did a very short test flight.

While sometimes it can hover ok, overall it drifts badly vertically.

As with the other guy its either keeps on going slowly up or slowly down.

I did a stick re-calibration and an IMU check.

I'll try a re-start in the hope this fixes it!

I was checking a few other threads and apparently it is a known issue with the Visual Positioning System which also controls the ultrasonic altitude sensor. DJI has been notified and hopefully will look into fixing the problem. In the meantime, turning off the VPS in the settings is supposed to help, although I don't have time to try it out yet.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/caution-vps-after-firmware-update.45258/
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/vps-problems-on-new-firmware-maybe.45235/#post-417256
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2384430&page=1268

Best wishes :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic