Verizon Users: Any Recommendations for a Good (but under $150) Phone?

Reaction score
Do any Verizon users have a recommendation for a phone that works well with the DJI app and is just a "good phone" overall, that is preferably under $150 (at least second-hand price)?

My Samsung J3 Mission doesn't connect right away, is laggy, and crashes with the DJI Go app.

I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon for the better coverage since I wasn't getting any maps to show up in the app (plus I was in areas where I had no cell service with T Mobile so I couldn't sign up for Verifly insurance without having to drive 20 minutes first).

So I am looking for a camera that is a bit bigger, a bit brighter, makes good phone calls, and has a decent camera. I guess I need GPS too in case I don't have cellular service, right???

If all else fails, I guess I could use a tablet instead. So if you have tablet recommendations, that is good, too, just as a backup.

(My Alcatel Fierce XL worked fine with the DJI Go app, but again, no service with T-Mobile out in semi-rural areas and the camera was pretty bad...)

Thanks in advance.

My Google Pixel handles it pretty well, not sure what you can get it for 2nd hand now that the Pixel 2 is out.

Thanks for the note. Looks like the original pixel is still selling north of $300 though...

I've bought my last couple phones(second hand) from this website... depending on the phone you can get some pretty good prices...

https://swappa.com/

Reactions: Just Mark
BTW: I understand that DJI has a list of supported phones, which is one-half of the equation. I just don't know which of those phones might be good as a regular every-day working phone for things like making calls and taking photos.

I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon for the better coverage since I wasn't getting any maps to show up in the app
You do realize you can cache the maps before you go fly and you won't need cell service. GPS on the phone or tablet is nice but you do not specifically need that either.

Thanks for the reply and the link. Any suggestions on which model phone might be decent???

I can't help you there... I've been using the iPhone 4 for a few years because I can replace them for $40 on that swappa site...

You do realize you can cache the maps before you go fly and you won't need cell service. GPS on the phone or tablet is nice but you do not specifically need that either.
Yes, but that would require me to be ORGANIZED :) Call it planning ahead (or malice aforethought... either is fine with me).

I can't help you there... I've been using the iPhone 4 for a few years because I can replace them for $40 on that swappa site...
Thanks for the note. So the iPhone 4 works ok then with the DJI Go app? Is it a good phone, too? Does it have GPS?

I thought that apple basically FORCED IOS upgrades on to users of older phones making them pretty mush too slow and thus basically forcing people who use older iPhones to upgrade. Am I wrong?

I personally use the ulefone power 2. For around £130 you get

5.5" screen at 1080p
3GB of ram
60GB of storage
4G
also has an RF blaster so you can control the TV, DVD, sky, etc...

Awesome phone to use to fly the phantom. The ulefone power 1 is also a good phone too. Got mine from aliexpress and no problems at all

Do any Verizon users have a recommendation for a phone that works well with the DJI app and is just a "good phone" overall, that is preferably under $150 (at least second-hand price)?

My Samsung J3 Mission doesn't connect right away, is laggy, and crashes with the DJI Go app.

I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon for the better coverage since I wasn't getting any maps to show up in the app (plus I was in areas where I had no cell service with T Mobile so I couldn't sign up for Verifly insurance without having to drive 20 minutes first).

So I am looking for a camera that is a bit bigger, a bit brighter, makes good phone calls, and has a decent camera. I guess I need GPS too in case I don't have cellular service, right???

If all else fails, I guess I could use a tablet instead. So if you have tablet recommendations, that is good, too, just as a backup.

(My Alcatel Fierce XL worked fine with the DJI Go app, but again, no service with T-Mobile out in semi-rural areas and the camera was pretty bad...)

Thanks in advance.
Look for a Nexus 5 or 6P. I use a 6P with DJI Go and Litchi and it's more than fast enough

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor