Value of Part 107 Certification?

Reaction score
I am purely a hobbyist flyer and have no desire to use my P3P for commercial use. Having said that, I am interested in obtaining a Part 107 cert, mainly because I like the challenge of obtaining certifications.

My question: do the experts here think that the Part 107 cert will become more valuable in the future in the flying of drones for hobby? It seems that the proliferation of drones may result in increased regulation of the hobby, to the point where some sort of certification may be required across the board. It would seem prudent to just go ahead and get the cert to be 1) prepared for the future, and 2) beat the rush when the cert becomes required for all.

I've read repeatedly on this site that if you're flying recreationally (which means you're flying under Part 101) and you violate any part of Part 101 during that particular flight, your flight automatically "defaults" to Part 107. I've read this at least three different times on this site with at least one in-depth discussion concluding same. So assuming that's true, that would be one good reason to get a 107 since you probably don't want to be cited for flying Part 107 without a certification.

Reactions: Teamfour
My main take away for someone to get a Part 107 certificate, even if you're never going to use the commercial privilege aspect of it is that the 5SM notification rule goes away when you fly in Class G airspace.

With the exception of 400' within 5SM of an airport hobby rule, if you are flying Hobby and violate a Part 101 rule, most likely you've also busted a 107 rule too, along with many other general FAA rules that apply to all aurcraft. Part 101 is so much more lenient in many ways vs Part 107.

As to the 2nd part of the OP's comments / questions: I do not see this happening. But what I would like is some form of education right in the face of new sUAS owners. Whether it's a prominent placard attached to the body when you open the box detailing the hobby rules, with links to the FAA & AMA websites specific to sUAS's or, and I shudder as I write this, an online course you need to take, before your sUAS is enabled to fly. I've seen too many videos of late where someone shows off their new P3 / P4 and because they don't even register it/them with the FAA they have absolutely no idea of what they are getting into.

Last edited:
My main take away for someone to get a Part 107 certificate, even if you're never going to use the commercial privilege aspect of it is that the 5SM notification rule goes away when you fly in Class G airspace.

With the exception of 400' within 5SM of an airport hobby rule, if you are flying Hobby and violate a Part 101 rule, most likely you've also busted a 107 rule too, along with many other general FAA rules that apply to all aurcraft. Part 101 is so much more lenient in many ways vs Part 107.

As to the 2nd part of the OP's comments / questions: I do not see this happening. But what I would like is some form of education right in the face of new sUAS owners. Whether it's a prominent placard attached to the body when you open the box detailing the hobby rules, with links to the FAA & AMA websites specific to sUAS's or, and I shudder as I write this, an online course you need to take, before your sUAS is enabled to fly. I've seen too many videos of late where someone shows off their new P3 / P4 and because they don't even register it/them with the FAA they have absolutely no idea of what they are getting into.
Only if it applies to all s unmanned aircraft! Remember, that while we on this forum tend to think only in terms of drones, but in the eyes of the FAA, drones, RC gliders, fixed wing and helicopters are all lumped together as sUASs. It's only when you get to local rules and restrictions that drones get singled out.

Reactions: Teamfour
You will learn a lot about how the national airspace works, weather and have an idea how the guys in the tower and the pilots around you think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic