Updating Firmware on Phantom 4

Reaction score
Please note: We are talking Phantom 4 here - NOT Phantom 4 Pro.

As far as I can tell, my firmware is completely up to date. I am not getting any messages on the app telling me I need to update. I have verified with the app that I have the latest firmware.

This being the case, do I have to update? (I know this sounds like a silly question, but I have been hearing that I do have to update, even if I am not getting messages telling me to do so.)

I’d never update DJI firmware per their direction after reading the hottie stories of those who did and found their drone grounded or in a NFZ. Instead do what I did and many others and simply switch to Litchi and forget about DJI. Why do you need them anyway? Their “warranty” is worthless and “Customer Service” is absolutely terrible do break away and fly on your own. I’ve been doing that for over a year with no problems!!!
Good luck
Jim
Wa5TEF

Reactions: manosm1 and pdmike
I’d never update DJI firmware per their direction after reading the hottie stories of those who did and found their drone grounded or in a NFZ. Instead do what I did and many others and simply switch to Litchi and forget about DJI. Why do you need them anyway? Their “warranty” is worthless and “Customer Service” is absolutely terrible do break away and fly on your own. I’ve been doing that for over a year with no problems!!!
Good luck
Jim
Wa5TEF
Thanks, but what does this have to do with the question I asked - is it necessary to update firmware when I am not being told to do so by the app? And what is Litchi?

You don't ever have to update even if it tells you just click ignore. I wont update as long as I make no changes to the rc or ac. I have the plus version and have disconnected the wifi. JMOYMV

Reactions: pdmike
Thanks, but what does this have to do with the question I asked - is it necessary to update firmware when I am not being told to do so by the app? And what is Litchi?
There are no updates that you 'have' to do - it's purely your own preference if you think there is a new feature you may want, or a bug fix that will correct an issue you have.
Don't ever feel that you have to update in order to fly...

Litchi is a 3rd party app that allows you to do (IMO) more than GO, and also allows you to set up 'missions' on a PC then simply upload them to the drone - it can then fly autonomously if you prefer, so you can concentrate on photography etc. There are lots of threads, YT video's and user groups on Litchi which can help you also.. Good luck!

There are no updates that you 'have' to do - it's purely your own preference if you think there is a new feature you may want, or a bug fix that will correct an issue you have.
Don't ever feel that you have to update in order to fly...

Litchi is a 3rd party app that allows you to do (IMO) more than GO, and also allows you to set up 'missions' on a PC then simply upload them to the drone - it can then fly autonomously if you prefer, so you can concentrate on photography etc. There are lots of threads, YT video's and user groups on Litchi which can help you also.. Good luck!
All RIGHT! So I would download Litchi onto my drone viewer (iPad Mini) and then use it instead of the GO app, correct? Can Litchi and GO co-exist on the same viewer? I would suppose they can.

You don't ever have to update even if it tells you just click ignore. I wont update as long as I make no changes to the rc or ac. I have the plus version and have disconnected the wifi. JMOYMV
Thanks so much!

Can Litchi and GO co-exist on the same viewer?
I never use both together - no need. In fact, some have said that you must close GO for Litchi to work as there may be conflicts, but I have never seen any.
You may still need GO for some 'setup' routines such as IMU cal etc.. but after that, you don't need it at all. You won't get the annoying 'update required' messages also with Litchi. I think you'll like what it can do..

Yes, not sure about the price now as I purchased it over a year ago..

I never use both together - no need. In fact, some have said that you must close GO for Litchi to work as there may be conflicts, but I have never seen any.
You may still need GO for some 'setup' routines such as IMU cal etc.. but after that, you don't need it at all. You won't get the annoying 'update required' messages also with Litchi. I think you'll like what it can do..
Oh, I didn't mean to OPERATE both apps at the same time. I just was wondering if they could both be on the viewer together with one open and the other closed. Never mind .... I'm wandering off into la la land here.

To each their own.... Here is a good read comparing the 2 apps that may help explain the differences also... It's from the Mavic forum, but still applies to the P4P
Litchi vs DJI Go 4

I took a look at Litchi by going to it's Web site. I'm not ready for it yet. I am very new to quad flying and need to master the flying aspect of it before worrying about photography. It seems to me that Litchi is primarily a photography aid although I guess it also addresses flight planning as well. Anyway, it does look interesting.

Anyway, it does look interesting.
Well done for your decision to learn flight first - I applaud that! Yes, Litchi is very interesting, and I use it almost exclusively now.
There is also 'Autopilot' which is even more expensive than Litchi but has far more photography features when you really get into that aspect of droning. I do have both, but stick with Litchi most of the time. Cheers...!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20