update Nvidia k1 ?

Reaction score
P3P owner
I use a Nvidia K1 tablet but haven't updated it for at least 11 months so because of that I haven't got any maps showing bottom left, I still fly with it as is but next month when I get back to the UK I'd like to use maps again
I'm perfectly happy with how everything is set-up now with
RC 1.60
APP 2.8.3
V1.9.60
what will happen if/when I connect my K1 to the internet? will it insist that I update and won't let me fly or is there someway that I can download the google maps as before?.
if it's going to give me hassle then I'd rather carry on flying without using the maps.
also when it says "home point has been recorded, please check it on the map" all I can do is see if the quad pointer is in the same place as the home point is but the home point could be anywhere, without the map there's no way of telling.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If it IS broke, fix it.
I'd first suspect DJI go, or connection, maybe not sending the map.

Hi don't update you k1 tablet to the new Android 7.0, it has conflicts with dji go app that the app crashes in mid flight, it's been discuss a lot on the dji go forums, I had to do a hard factory reset to my nvidia shield k1 tablet to get it back to android 6.0,

I have a K1 that's updated to Nougat 7.0 and it works fine with Litchi. I don't use DJI go because of the forced update and I like the mission setup in Litchi.

. I don't use DJI go because of the forced update and I like the mission setup in Litchi.[/QUOTE]

I'm happy with the version dji go I've got but you've answered what I was worried about, when I get back to the UK I want to connect to the net just to download google maps (they only stay for about 30 days ) but I'm worried that if I connect to the net and start up dji go it will force me to update GO which I don't want to, will I have any choice to not update and be able to stay with the version I've got?

You can cache maps without opening DJI.
Just open Google maps app and view the areas that you want to fly. There are settings in Google maps as to the properties of the cache. Google maps will keep the cache up to 30 days.
If you do get a forced app update from DJI, you can easily uninstall it and download and install the earlier version that you want.
Just Google the version of DJI go that you want.
The DJI GO Nvidia shield K1 issue isn't with DJI GO alone, it is with the Android 7.0 version. If you still have Android 6 on your Nvidia and use the newest DJI GO version, you won't have any issues. But if you update the Nvidia to Nougat 7 and use the latest DJI GO, that's when you will have issues.
I have the latest DJI GO version on my Nvidia shield K1 running Android 6 marshmallow and I don't have any issues.
But I like using litchi with my Android stuff anyway.

All you answers are above and that's right you won't be forced to up date you k1 tablet by the dji go app

I don't use DJI go because of the forced update and I like the mission setup in Litchi.
you've answered what I was worried about, ... I'm worried that if I connect to the net and start up dji go it will force me to update GO which I don't want to, will I have any choice to not update and be able to stay with the version I've got?
Forced updates?
Simply turn off auto updating in your Android settings.
DJI have only ever done one forced update and that was back at the beginning of the year because of a serious problem they needed to fix.
Apart from that, there have never been any forced updates from DJI.

. I don't use DJI go because of the forced update and I like the mission setup in Litchi.[/QUOTE]

I'm happy with the version dji go I've got but you've answered what I was worried about, when I get back to the UK I want to connect to the net just to download google maps (they only stay for about 30 days ) but I'm worried that if I connect to the net and start up dji go it will force me to update GO which I don't want to, will I have any choice to not update and be able to stay with the version I've got?
You can cache maps without opening DJI.
Just open Google maps app and view the areas that you want to fly. There are settings in Google maps as to the properties of the cache. Google maps will keep the cache up to 30 days.
If you do get a forced app update from DJI, you can easily uninstall it and download and install the earlier version that you want.
Just Google the version of DJI go that you want.
The DJI GO Nvidia shield K1 issue isn't with DJI GO alone, it is with the Android 7.0 version. If you still have Android 6 on your Nvidia and use the newest DJI GO version, you won't have any issues. But if you update the Nvidia to Nougat 7 and use the latest DJI GO, that's when you will have issues.
I have the latest DJI GO version on my Nvidia shield K1 running Android 6 marshmallow and I don't have any issues.
But I like using litchi with my Android stuff anyway.
=================================================================================

thank you for your very informative answer,
I still have marshmallow on my K1 and happy with it so will stay with it.
and I'm still using an older version of dji go, without checking it was the first one that came out after dji pilot about 1 year ago.

thanks very much for answering my query
ray

I still use DJI go when i need to with an older version (2.9.1) as long as I don't let it connect to the net it runs fine. The (Here) maps are kinda low res compared to google maps in Litchi.
I think the forced update was because of Home location being off. Which caused fly aways when using the return to home function. DJI could have put an older version of DJI go on the google play store while they fixed the bad version. Not everyone knew how to down grade their version without using the google play store.
I worry about when will DJI force a firmware update that will cause you to only buy DJI parts for your drones. (like batteries)
I haven't crashed either of my 2 phantoms, (both run fine) so i'm not bitter over bad warranty service...knock on wood...

I still use DJI go when i need to with an older version (2.9.1) as long as I don't let it connect to the net it runs fine. The (Here) maps are kinda low res compared to google maps in Litchi.
I haven't crashed either of my 2 phantoms, (both run fine) so i'm not bitter over bad warranty service...knock on wood...

well as I expected, today I connected to the net and loaded the areas I wanted using google maps, then switched off the net, THEN switched on dji go v 2.8.3 and up came a message you need to update dji go, there was no way to use the app as nothing would let me do it so I downloaded the latest dji go, then all I got was other messages that I needed to update the camera/controller and the AC.
so after a while I deleted the dji go app and reinstalled v 2.9.1 as v 2.8.3 was not available in play store. so now all's ok again but back where I was before without any maps.
how do you feel about not having maps on dji go when you use it?
I was wondering if I disabled dji go v 2.9.1 on my K1, then loaded the maps using google maps,then turn off the net, and enabled dji go again would that work without having messages pop up telling me to update?
will google maps work on v 2.9.1? or only here maps?

Forced updates?
Simply turn off auto updating in your Android settings.
DJI have only ever done one forced update and that was back at the beginning of the year because of a serious problem they needed to fix.
Apart from that, there have never been any forced updates from DJI.

all apps have auto update turned off
and as you see I was forced to update from v 2.8.3 as nothing would work until I did

well as I expected, today I connected to the net and loaded the areas I wanted using google maps, then switched off the net, THEN switched on dji go v 2.8.3 and up came a message you need to update dji go, there was no way to use the app as nothing would let me do it so I downloaded the latest dji go, then all I got was other messages that I needed to update the camera/controller and the AC.
so after a while I deleted the dji go app and reinstalled v 2.9.1 as v 2.8.3 was not available in play store. so now all's ok again but back where I was before without any maps.
how do you feel about not having maps on dji go when you use it?
I was wondering if I disabled dji go v 2.9.1 on my K1, then loaded the maps using google maps,then turn off the net, and enabled dji go again would that work without having messages pop up telling me to update?
will google maps work on v 2.9.1? or only here maps?

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/forced-go-app-update-workaround.106488/
I got a lot of info from this thread on trying to get around the forced update. You can even download a hacked version of DJI go that works for about a day. One person talked about editing your (Host) file on your Tablet/Phone to redirect DJI go from contacting the update server. I think that would work but you would need to root your tablet/phone. I think you have to cache your maps from DJI go to make them work offline. Maybe you could manually add them from google to the right directory in DJI go? There are older versions of DJI go (2.x.x) that still use google maps but they wouldn't have many of the useful updates. I have several stored on my K1.

I've loaded V 2.9.1 and I find that it's using the here maps which is what I don't want so if I do this mod will I be able to get google maps or will I have to load an older V of Go?

well I thought I'd loaded v2.9.1 but checking it on the controller it says app 3.1.5. version 1.9.60. controller 1.6.0, what now? when I connect now I still get the message update required in red but after about 30 seconds it goes and safe to fly in green can i still use the mod below?

Method #3: Replace two files on the Android device
We can keep the current version of DJI Go installed, and simply copy/paste two configuration files to replace what is forcing this update. To do this, you will need to download two files from the link below and paste them into a folder on the device. Credit to zamarawa

1. Download the following ZIp file: DJIGoAndroid_FixedForcedUpdate.zip

2. Copy the files to the following folder on your Android device: /android/data/dji.pilot/cache/
  3. how do I get to this folder on my K1 ???????
  4. Close DJI Go using the App Manager

5. Re-open DJI Go

6. Chose “remind me later” if prompted

Last edited:
how do I get to this folder on my K1 ??????? I downloaded "File Manager HD" from the google play store. I think "File Manager ES" is another good free app if you don't mind ads.

Let me know if Zamarawa's fix works. So far after a day or 2 the file "List.json" gets re-written and has to be edited again or replaced. My google maps stopped loading in ver 2.9.1 No here maps either. I only use DJI go to calibrate the phantom now.(If it needs it) Litchi works well with the Shield K1 using Nougat 7.0.

went to have a fly today after installing what I thought was v2.9.1 going from v 2.8.3 but checking it on the controller it says app 3.1.5. version 1.9.60 ??
as
20170505_132417.jpg
I connected up I got the message update required scrolling across the top, I clicked on it and this is what it said
see pic, after about 30 seconds the red message changed to green showing gps safe to fly and message home point recorded check it on the map followed by rth 180ft
I did fly close to me for 15 minutes with no problem but is this a warning or just an advisory, is it really safe to fly???
camera/AC/controller, all need updating??
I only wish that I could get back to my old setting using v2.8.3 but I just can't seem to get it my nvidia k1 appears to load it but it only shows in downloads when I click it it says app not installed?

I run a shield with android 7.0 using litchi and have never had a issue.

Reactions: Pete43
not sure if I've done a good thing but I've managed to solve the "update required" showing on my K1
first I deleted dji go from my tablet then reinstalled it but before I first opened it I disconnected from the internet, now all it shows is "latest firmware" still got my here maps showing from previous connections to the net.
when I get back to the UK I think I'll update to the latest everything then I'll be able to have maps for wherever I want albeit here maps which I consider a joke, looks just like a map from a map book

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31