Update firmware or not?

Reaction score
I just got my P3S on 12/31/16 and on the DJIGO app the firmware version states unknown. I've read bad experiences when updating FW. Is it worth the risk? What advantage would I get if it updated successfully?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

We don't know what FW versions you have so can't comment much. You will see the versions of all when RC is connected with AC and Tablet is communicating with RC.

In general, one should not be in hurry to update every thing quickly without understanding the process very well. You can fly and ignore messages for updates until you are confident of installing updates. These are my two cents.

I agree with Alok.

Also, maybe post your question in the P3S forum as well in case the guys there have more specific info for you than we do here in the Pro/Adv forum.

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies. Using the PhantomPilots app the only forum choice I have for Phantom 3 is "P3" which is this forum. The app doesn't have the choice for sub forums that I can find.

Also thanks for moving to the correct forum. Anyone know who to contact to see about getting the app corrected?

Also thanks for moving to the correct forum. Anyone know who to contact to see about getting the app corrected?

It just happens. My first P3 never showed the FW version in any app version. My second one was already upgraded from the factory and took about a week before the FW version finally showed up in the app.
I stopped upgrading the app at version 2.9.1 because every new app since seems to be problematic. I can't recommend upgrading firmware via the app anyway. Too many failed upgrades reported since it started raining new drones after Christmas. Go and fly it and enjoy!

Last edited:
I just got my P3S on 12/31/16 and on the DJIGO app the firmware version states unknown. I've read bad experiences when updating FW. Is it worth the risk? What advantage would I get if it updated successfully?

Did you have the RC and the AC powered up when checking the FW version?

As usual with questions about firmware updates on Phantom forums you will get 2 types of reply.
Do not upgrade and...
Upgrade

Personally I have done all the upgrades in the last 10 months and had zero issues, others have had problems.
You takes your chance.

Reactions: Cadbob
@WilliamM Yes they are both powered up
@CrispyClaret Yea I've noticed that. I'm just going to fly it as is for now but I'd like to know the current firmware it has so I would know what all is "fixed" or upgraded if I update it.

I upgraded mine right out of the box, simply because I didn't know any better. Mine seems to fly completely fine.

Well I think I have the latest firmware. My iPhone 7 using the DJI GO app states it can't read the firmware version so I get my old Android phone (HTC One M8 which is not active on a cell network) and fire it up in airplane mode with wifi. Load the DJI GO app and connect to the P3S. It shows that the firmware is up to date on the general info page while on the iPhone there is no firmware info on the general info page. I have to long press the "box" in the upper right corner on the Equipment page to bring up a secret page (shhh.... LOL) that tells me the product ID and current version (unknown).

I don't really care. I just going to fly it and enjoy. If I ever get the message to update I might or might not.

Yea take it from me, wish I would've found these forums and such before I updated.. now im a dead stick. 1.7.09 Gives me a Barometer Error and if I update to the 1.7.094 it gives me RC Signal Lost.

Ive tried everything I can find to get it fixed, and nothing. and once you goto 1.7.09 you cannot roll back any lower. says the firmware dont support a lower version.

So Be weary when updating, check forums first to see what issues. Apparently DJI Firmware releases are not the most quality controlled product.

Yea take it from me, wish I would've found these forums and such before I updated.. now im a dead stick. 1.7.09 Gives me a Barometer Error and if I update to the 1.7.094 it gives me RC Signal Lost.

Ive tried everything I can find to get it fixed, and nothing. and once you goto 1.7.09 you cannot roll back any lower. says the firmware dont support a lower version.

So Be weary when updating, check forums first to see what issues. Apparently DJI Firmware releases are not the most quality controlled product.
But keep in mind, there's thousands that have done the firmware update that have no issues at all, including myself. So I honestly don't think it's a quality control issue at all, more of a corrupt install or corrupt file that you got ahold of. Did you install it via the Go app or the SD card directly?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do you slate Apple/Microshite every time your PC/i........ whatever farts?

Reactions: CrispyClaret

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic