UK - New Drone laws for 2018

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen more on this ?

"New drone laws
Police will be given new powers to prevent the unsafe or criminal use of drones as part of a new package of legislation.

The measures are intended to allow drone users to continue flying safely and legally, helping to place the UK at the forefront of the fast-growing drone industry.

The draft Drone Bill is set to be published in spring and will give officers the right to order operators to ground drones where necessary.

They will also be able to seize drone parts to prove it has been used to commit an offence."

taken from here,
These are the new laws that will come into force in the UK in 2018

I would have thought the UK Police already have enough powers under existing regs to prevent the unsafe or criminal use of drones.

Personally I have no worries about pending new regs, I will comply,register,pay, and take whatever tests etc. The criminals will just continue as they are and ignore the regs, after all that is what crims do.

Reactions: neild
I agree with the new laws in the UK, they seem reasonable. There is a really good app for IOS or android Called "Drone Assist" it by NATS who control Air Traffic in this country. It shows really good Maps that are official. There are switches to differentiate,
Airspace
Areas of increased risk
Danger Areas
Navigation Warnings
Prisons
Restricted Areas
Tempory Flight Restrictions
Upper Airspace
Every UK drone pilot should have this on their Ipad/Phone.

Interestingly The DJI Geo zones do not correspond to the UK governments published zones. Also areas within I km of airfield boundries can be unlocked in the DJI system. Does this make it legal to fly in such a zone? Should a Chinese company be dictate where a UK citizen can fly in his own country.
I queried with DJI support why they impose 7.6 km "Enhanced Warning Zone around "Lee-On-Solent" on our south coast.
There first reply informed me that zone was "HERLONG RECREATIONAL airport" . Well that airport is in Jacksonville Florida. Not many thousand miles out.

Our Government seems to have a good handle on no fly zones in the UK. Let the British goverment control this stuff not DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31