UK drone recreational insurance

Reaction score
Hi

I am a teacher and have been asked to take some pictures of a sports day with my drone for my school. There will be no pay for the work. I have cover with the BMFA for public liability but have been told that wouldn't cover for this issue.

What companies are out there in the UK for recreational drone use but crossing into educational use??

Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not sure you will be able to cover for recreational use in the UK.

Also, the CAA state:
Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:
  • within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures
  • over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events
If I were asked, I would simply say no, sorry.

if you have spoken to BFMA then I can't offer anything new, but I did read about their Data Development and Demonstration Insurance which might cover what you are after eg work which does not fall under a commercial banner, but is outside the scope of recreational flying.

Data, Development & Demonstration Insurance

Whether this meets the requirements of your school's safety management process I cannot comment, and whether you will actually be able to achieve what the school wants within the usual rules and your artistic capabilities/requirements is a different matter.... Good luck!

In accordance with the CAA I will be doing the aerial shots of specific events and not large groups, well below the CAAs idea of congested. Also, I stated to the school that there are distance limitations to which they gave the okay. I spoke to the BMFA and they also directed me to the data, development and demonstration insurance which they said would be more than suitable for what I need it for. The school have done a risk assessment and I have accounted /mitigated for as much as I could. Also, I will not be directly above students at any time which reduces risk should a prop fail etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj