UAS registration renewal

Reaction score
I went through the UAS registration ordeal nearly three years ago. It was a three year deal and my time is almost up. How do I renew? I can find nothing on line about renewal, only first time registration. Maybe by this time there is something new that has taken its place.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have been wondering how the recent Re-Authorization changes registration for Hobbyists. Since the Part 336 was removed I don't know if each aircraft will need to be registered now.

I went through the UAS registration ordeal nearly three years ago. It was a three year deal and my time is almost up. How do I renew? I can find nothing on line about renewal, only first time registration. Maybe by this time there is something new that has taken its place.
It should be a 5 year "deal" and I think the earliest it is up is 2020.

I have been wondering how the recent Re-Authorization changes registration for Hobbyists. Since the Part 336 was removed I don't know if each aircraft will need to be registered now.

Until the laws are re-written (And I seriously doubt they will do more than copy/paste the hobby registration portion anyway) the current laws are still at play. Allowing hobbyists to have a single Reg # is a good system and how we've done it for years albeit we were using our AMA#. All aircraft had the same # but the # was unique to the operator for identification purposes.

It is my understanding that the hobbyist distinction is going away. But I have not read much of the Bill that passed though.

It is my understanding that the hobbyist distinction is going away. But I have not read much of the Bill that passed though.

I think it's safe to say "it's changing" but I doubt it's going away. Only time will tell for sure.

336 is going away and the lines between commercial and non-commercial will exist but they will be coming closer or blurred.

According to the FAA Site, 336 was immediately repealed:

On October 5, 2018, the President signed the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 (PDF). The Act establishes new conditions for recreational use of drones and immediately repeals the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. The agency is evaluating the impacts of this change in the law and how implementation will proceed. In the interim, please continue to follow all current policies and guidance with respect to recreational use of drones.

It will be interesting to see how it gets implemented regarding non-commercial knowledge testing and registration. I am also curious to see how and when they will actually flip the switch (end the interim period mentioned above).

It will be interesting to see how it gets implemented regarding non-commercial knowledge testing and registration. I am also curious to see how and when they will actually flip the switch (end the interim period mentioned above).

It will be interesting. If the FAA holds true, they will take years to come up some form of terrible and vague plan. It will then take another year or so to start the process.

I do not believe this is correct. The Official FAA website (FAADroneZone) does not allow you to register or re-register a drone for Hobbist Rules. The website you quote here (Drone Registration Renewal Form) is a commercial operation and not the FAA or any other government department. they may act as a 3rd party, but they cannot get your drone re-registered at this time. If you read the Frequently Asked Questions on the FAA site (https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs) and scroll down to REGISTRATION #18 you will see that the registration period of 3 years has been extended to 12/12/2020 which explains why the FAA is not accepting re-registrations at this time.

Hope this helps clear some of this discussion.

Last edited:
I did not realize I had been extended. Was thinking I was due to re-register in February. Thanks for pointing this out!

This is only for Hobbyist Rules flying. Since 336 has been scrapped and no new rules formulated, they are not taking any re-registrations. The new or initial registration links don't function on the FAADroneZone site (at least last night and so far today). The FAQ explains that all registrations prior to December 12, 2017 are extended until 12/12/2020; but nothing about "New" registrations.

WOW-ZA!!! As my 3-yr registration expires next month, I logged onto my FAA account - and - my registration now shows expiration in 2020! (I don't think the're ready, administratively, to re-register half the planet ;-)
Check your's and get back to me if it is still showing 2018 expiration.

WOW-ZA!!! As my 3-yr registration expires next month, I logged onto my FAA account - and - my registration now shows expiration in 2020! (I don't think the're ready, administratively, to re-register half the planet ;-)
Check your's and get back to me if it is still showing 2018 expiration.
Yep, mine changed to 2020 - yay!

I do not believe this is correct. The Official FAA website (FAADroneZone) does not allow you to register or re-register a drone for Hobbist Rules. The website you quote here (Drone Registration Renewal Form) is a commercial operation and not the FAA or any other government department. they may act as a 3rd party, but they cannot get your drone re-registered at this time. If you read the Frequently Asked Questions on the FAA site (https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs) and scroll down to REGISTRATION #18 you will see that the registration period of 3 years has been extended to 12/12/2020 which explains why the FAA is not accepting re-registrations at this time.

Hope this helps clear some of this discussion.
Thanks for the clarification. My reg. expires 12/30 and I was going to use this link. If I had read the terms, I would have known better! Thanks again. I have deleted my prior posting to avoid further confusion.
Jack

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers