Tucson at Night

Im also interested in these AMA regulations. How can they differ for someone who pays a membership fee vs someone who doesn't. Or is there more to becoming a AMA member than that?

Thabks

Ok, so not laws. Got it.
Look up Raphael "Trappy" Pirker, who was fined $10,000 for a "reckless flight" in 2011, when he allegedly flew his drone "directly towards an individual standing on a ... sidewalk."

Im also interested in these AMA regulations. How can they differ for someone who pays a membership fee vs someone who doesn't. Or is there more to becoming a AMA member than that?

Thabks
You become an AMA member by joining. If you follow their rules they will back you up and you also get an included insurance policy.
Academy of Model Aeronautics

Well this thread has been awesome. One problem was taken care on its own, and actually the rest has been educational.

Look up Raphael "Trappy" Pirker, who was fined $10,000 for a "reckless flight" in 2011, when he allegedly flew his drone "directly towards an individual standing on a ... sidewalk."
A case of COMMERCIAL operation settled for $1100 with no admission of wrongdoing. Not a hobbyist, and FAA backed down when he did not just panic and pay. It is not that I endorse using drones to harass people. But you have clearly sympathized with Mikeflight, and implied that your AMA private club rules and FAA commercial rules somehow have the force of law over hobbyists when they don't, and that befuddles me. The truth is there are zero laws that apply to hobby flights under 55lbs. other than general laws that apply to any activity (assault, harassment) and FAA rules regarding controlled airspace. Why can't any of you just admit that's true and stop trying to scare people with "clear as mud" allusions to rules that don't exist? It is like the forum is run by a bunch of old ham radio guys who can't understand that your beloved rules don't apply to my cellphone. You should have defended me, not him. He attacked me and he was wrong whether you sympathized with him or not.

A case of COMMERCIAL operation settled for $1100 with no admission of wrongdoing. Not a hobbyist, and FAA backed down when he did not just panic and pay. It is not that I endorse using drones to harass people. But you have clearly sympathized with Mikeflight, and implied that your AMA private club rules and FAA commercial rules somehow have the force of law over hobbyists when they don't, and that befuddles me. The truth is there are zero laws that apply to hobby flights under 55lbs. other than general laws that apply to any activity (assault, harassment) and FAA rules regarding controlled airspace. Why can't any of you just admit that's true and stop trying to scare people with "clear as mud" allusions to rules that don't exist? It is like the forum is run by a bunch of old ham radio guys who can't understand that your beloved rules don't apply to my cellphone. You should have defended me, not him. He attacked me and he was wrong whether you sympathized with him or not.
Again you are incorrect... my point was the FAA can & will punish you if they decide to do so. While it was a commercial flight, Pirker was fined for endangerment, not for flying a commercial flight before they were allowed. And don't worry, there will be laws... soon. NYS is trying to pass a LAW that says no flights under 100' or over 400' with all the trimmings like no BLOS, no flights within 5 miles of an airport, etc. It is just a matter of time till every state makes similar laws when people like yourself believe you can do whatever you want just because you can. And I would like to point out I didn't defend anyone in this thread, I enforced the rules here. Obviously, there is no point in trying to educate you in this matter, you know it all. Enjoy your quad.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well, OK, I do know a lot. I will own that. But the way you old school types talk about the FAA is really misleading and you know it. HERE IS THE TRUTH: There are currently no legally enforceable rules or laws that apply to hobbyist drone users that don't apply to any other public activity in which they may engage. The police will arrest and fine you for endangerment, harassment, assault, or any other number of bad acts and they will not need to work with a community organization or spend years in court to do it - whether you do it with a drone, gun, or your left shoe. Just admit this is correct and that is a start of something better - real dialogue.

That said, I'm sorry I have annoyed you and the other super-serious people in your model flying club. You old school types have invested a lot in this whole thing for many years and now you are being overrun by a flood of casual drone users who do not care to get with your very serious program where you all get to show how authoritative you are by quoting FAA jargon. You are doing a very poor sales job here. You are preaching to the choir.

As a wealthy, powerful person, retired astronaut, appellate lawyer, stand-up comic, and former criminal prosecutor (three of those things are true) I know this stuff you are putting out here about flight "rules", laws and FAA enforcement is 99.9% hyped up BS. Heck, you have about as much chance of getting FAA bureaucrats off their butts to go after a hobbyist drone user for some dumb stunt as you do of getting killed by terrorism. But that's the point, isn't it? Scare the crap out of them and they will do what you want. Well I think that is not nice or effective. You are ruining people's fun and hurting your own cause here in a sunk cost fallacy.

Pivot. Be honest and protect new people from BS scare tactics and jerks. That would be smart and more effective to get new people interested in actually learning your message - or just go back to your hobby club meetings and keep preaching to each other about the end of the world. I have a tee time. Bye.

This post started out with a great video. Now all of that is gone and forgotten because of.....
Kudos to LuvMyTJ for maintaining his cool.

This post started out with a great video. Now all of that is gone and forgotten because of.....
Kudos to LuvMyTJ for maintaining his cool.

And now it can end with an even greater video that will get the FAA moving to shut me down for good!. Please wake up Mikeflight and tell him he needs to get on those FAA reports ASAP! This is getting super serious . . .

And now I just saw this . .

Mikeflight, please come back and help me fight this danger! We can take shifts and report everyone to the FAA who posts a drone video we think is illegal. I'm with you now, Mikeflight! Can I get a vest now?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna