Trying to get into the real estate drone photography

Reaction score
Anyone on here make money shooting with their drones? I'm trying to get into this and I just need to know all the legal steps that need to be done before I reach out to Realtors to shoot some houses. Any info is appreciated!

Yes he is right about the 107. I actually called the FAA to figure this out because I heard so many different stories. There is a test called the 107 certification that you have to pass to be able to legally sell your drone photography.
From what I gather the best way to go about it is to buy the lessons online. Cost somewhere between 200 and $250 and it gives you all the study material. After you've studied enough find out where you can take the test in your state. If you pass you are good to go and start selling your material.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: Cpv1989
Anyone on here make money shooting with their drones? I'm trying to get into this and I just need to know all the legal steps that need to be done before I reach out to Realtors to shoot some houses. Any info is appreciated!
Legal steps include part 107 license and business license, that is the easy part. The hard part is finding customers that are willing to pay for your time, with the number of part timers, and hobbyist that have Phantoms out there is very tough to get paid for your time, much less capture the cost of the equipment. My personal experience is that realtors are willing to pay only videos of high dollar listings, and those that are willing to pay for them want the complete package stills and video with background music, and voice over. I spend 3 to 4 hours shooting at the location and full day editing. My understanding that these videos are sent to potential owners and published on the internet.

Just to give you a quick update. I ended up taking my FAA part 107 on Saturday and passed the test. I did my studying at droneU.com. I went HARD for 10 days watching the videos and taking a practice test. That was enough prep for the test. Although the questions from droneU did not match up to the questions I took at the test center they gave me enough knowledge to figure out the answers.
After passing the test I came home, registered my business with the state of Connecticut, started a website and ordered business cards. Tonight I filled for my FAA airmen certificate. It's been quite the process so far. I consider myself to be a techie and figure things out pretty quickly, this plus it has been the slightest bit tricky. I will get my temporary certificate in the mail over the next couple days stating I can officially start flying and getting paid for it!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: chadrob30

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor