Tripod Mounts

Reaction score
Does anyone use a photography tripod mount for their P3/P4 controllers. If so, I'd like some recommendations as to manufacturer.
Thanks in advance.
met

Well as crappy as it sounds, I bought a camera tripod mount for $10 and mounted a shallow biscuit tray to the top to hold the controller. Works fine and I can raise it up and down and swivel to get the right orientation when taking those long distance trips.
I'd post a photo of it but would get laughed off the forum...

Reactions: Neon Euc
Not such a bad idea & I've thinking about the same thing. I bought a couple of tripods (yard sale & Goodwill) and they just happened to be the same brand. One had a broken part so I kluged them together with some other crap I had laying around & now have one that won't tilt/pan but the other one does. The standard camera mount is a 1/4 x 20 thread so you should be able to find an old GoPro / GPS mount & put it together. If you have a Tap Plastics store nearby they'll make you a flat mount & just use velcro to hold the controller in place. You could even use a small hunk of thin plywood & stick a 1/4 x 20 T nut in the center.

I use this
1508037018324.jpg

Not such a bad idea & I've thinking about the same thing. I bought a couple of tripods (yard sale & Goodwill) and they just happened to be the same brand. One had a broken part so I kluged them together with some other crap I had laying around & now have one that won't tilt/pan but the other one does. The standard camera mount is a 1/4 x 20 thread so you should be able to find an old GoPro / GPS mount & put it together. If you have a Tap Plastics store nearby they'll make you a flat mount & just use velcro to hold the controller in place. You could even use a small hunk of thin plywood & stick a 1/4 x 20 T nut in the center.
Your logic and terminology reminds me of my late father in law who could talk you through and then construct a lounge suite out of a beer can, piece of string and an axe :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well here it is in all its technological glory:
Ist photo is the mounting plate, rated at IP56 and in stealth mode.
Second photo is ready and prepped for action.

Reactions: DocDiggler
Your logic and terminology reminds me of my late father in law who could talk you through and then construct a lounge suite out of a beer can, piece of string and an axe :)

I take that as a huge compliment - thank you. I turn 64 next week & got my 1st screwdriver when I was 3 years old. I contracted Polio when I was 6, was in an iron lung for a while & had to re-learn how to walk, etc. so I've been inventing / building / adapting things to compensate for what I lost. I use a tripod when I target shoot b/c I'm unable to hold my arms out in front of me. When I was about 18 I learned how to 'point shoot' which is the way FBI Agents were originally trained & I've carried a gun for 35+ years. I only had to pull it once but there were four of them & one of me. When they heard the hammer **** they all decided to go somewhere else - fast.

I graduated HS at 17 & it wasn't until 2009 that I learned my HS GPA was 1.67. Funny enough I'd become a self-taught Mechanical & Software Engineer for a global company & used to fly all over the place to fix what the local techs couldn't. I've taught numerous technical courses all over the US & even in Tokyo. I have a patent (well, the company I worked for owns it) that uses data encryption to move funds within a self-contained hardwired system or via the internet and it's never been hacked. It was also patented in the UK & Germany. I started as a Service Tech when I was 18 & nearly 37 years later was chucked out the door along with a few thousand other employees. We all got severance & our retirement packages but at 56 I wasn't ready to retire. Without a college degree my resume immediately went into the trash and while collecting $23/hr unemployment I couldn't get an $8.25 / hr job so I officially retired. The drone thing is real new to me & I swapped a brand new .45 cal 1911 for a P3S with a ton of accessories. I paid $530 for the pistol but we both left happy & that's what counts.

I'll probably have a Mavic Pro & a DJI FPV headset by Spring but my next newest coolest thing is a Segway based wheelchair. I bought a VG used Segway & the seat is currently being built in Greece. Search YouTube for 'Sui Generis Buddy Seat' & you'll see what it is. They guy driving it is George, the inventor and notice the narrower tires - that's the version I'll have. At $9k total it's actually a pretty good deal b/c there are units that sell for more than $22k & basically do the same thing. I can walk on smooth flat surfaces but with the chair I'll be able to go on hiking trails & a lot of other places I can't go now & that's another reason for the drones - go places & film them.

I take that as a huge compliment - thank you. I turn 64 next week & got my 1st screwdriver when I was 3 years old. I contracted Polio when I was 6, was in an iron lung for a while & had to re-learn how to walk, etc. so I've been inventing / building / adapting things to compensate for what I lost. I use a tripod when I target shoot b/c I'm unable to hold my arms out in front of me. When I was about 18 I learned how to 'point shoot' which is the way FBI Agents were originally trained & I've carried a gun for 35+ years. I only had to pull it once but there were four of them & one of me. When they heard the hammer **** they all decided to go somewhere else - fast.

I graduated HS at 17 & it wasn't until 2009 that I learned my HS GPA was 1.67. Funny enough I'd become a self-taught Mechanical & Software Engineer for a global company & used to fly all over the place to fix what the local techs couldn't. I've taught numerous technical courses all over the US & even in Tokyo. I have a patent (well, the company I worked for owns it) that uses data encryption to move funds within a self-contained hardwired system or via the internet and it's never been hacked. It was also patented in the UK & Germany. I started as a Service Tech when I was 18 & nearly 37 years later was chucked out the door along with a few thousand other employees. We all got severance & our retirement packages but at 56 I wasn't ready to retire. Without a college degree my resume immediately went into the trash and while collecting $23/hr unemployment I couldn't get an $8.25 / hr job so I officially retired. The drone thing is real new to me & I swapped a brand new .45 cal 1911 for a P3S with a ton of accessories. I paid $530 for the pistol but we both left happy & that's what counts.

I'll probably have a Mavic Pro & a DJI FPV headset by Spring but my next newest coolest thing is a Segway based wheelchair. I bought a VG used Segway & the seat is currently being built in Greece. Search YouTube for 'Sui Generis Buddy Seat' & you'll see what it is. They guy driving it is George, the inventor and notice the narrower tires - that's the version I'll have. At $9k total it's actually a pretty good deal b/c there are units that sell for more than $22k & basically do the same thing. I can walk on smooth flat surfaces but with the chair I'll be able to go on hiking trails & a lot of other places I can't go now & that's another reason for the drones - go places & film them.
Well that's one hell of a story about overcoming, adapting and being successful. I'm heading towards sixty and we had a couple of polio kids at my school and one of them became an A grade tennis player through sheer determination and guts. She ended becoming a physics professor and still as feisty at our last school reunion as she was back then. Her story and yours make for a lesson in life that many supposed able bodied could benefit from.
Had a look at the Segway link you posted and am pondering how you would be able to take it up and down trials without throwing it in the bush. Think you will appreciate the Mavic for portability when whizzing around during your travelling and be able to get it up in the air with only a moments notice.
Take care.

Well that's one hell of a story about overcoming, adapting and being successful. I'm heading towards sixty and we had a couple of polio kids at my school and one of them became an A grade tennis player through sheer determination and guts. She ended becoming a physics professor and still as feisty at our last school reunion as she was back then. Her story and yours make for a lesson in life that many supposed able bodied could benefit from.
Had a look at the Segway link you posted and am pondering how you would be able to take it up and down trials without throwing it in the bush. Think you will appreciate the Mavic for portability when whizzing around during your travelling and be able to get it up in the air with only a moments notice.
Take care.

Those chairs are amazing & will climb / descend a 30 degree grade. They handle trails quite well b/c they have a low center of gravity. I noticed that you're in Western Australia so check out 'Ogo Episode 42' on YT. It's from NZ & will be introduced here next month for $18,000 USD but it'll come with 2 sets of tires/wheels. Interesting back story as well.

DJI offers this product, the description claims it is compatible with the I2 remote but I am pretty sure we had it mounted with a P4 controller, I will have do double check as I think we still have one in stock.

Buy DJI Remote Controller Accessories Mount

I've been using the tripod mount from Hoodman that's custom made for DJI controllers. Have used it for months and it makes a HUGE difference in my ability to do steady flights and video because you're not trying to balance the controller and a heavy tablet while manipulating the sticks. Attaches to any tripod that has a standard 1/4" screw mount. It's been a great investment. See the link for more views of how it attaches.

Link: Drone Controller Tripod Mount for DJI - HDCMDJI

Hoodmand Tripod Bracket.png

Reactions: PDX1953
I've been using the tripod mount from Hoodman that's custom made for DJI controllers. Have used it for months and it makes a HUGE difference in my ability to do steady flights and video because you're not trying to balance the controller and a heavy tablet while manipulating the sticks. Attaches to any tripod that has a standard 1/4" screw mount. It's been a great investment. See the link for more views of how it attaches.

Link: Drone Controller Tripod Mount for DJI - HDCMDJI

View attachment 89795

Pretty nice setup but being the inventor / tinkerer I am I already have some ideas that should be very inexpensive. If I do the mod I'll include instructions & photos.

Reactions: KentA

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik