Tree Stuck

Reaction score
So my drone is stuck about 60ft up in a tree and now its been raining on it for three hours now but the lights are still blinking. I have a tree service coming out tomorrow to free it. Am I screwed since it has to sit in the rain?

Maybe not. Your battery ought to be dead by the time you retrieve it, but if it is still blinking, turn if off immediately. Then take everything apart, dry everything carefully with compressed air, and then and bury everything you can with loads of rice in some tupperware closed tight. Do not even think to go flying earlier than a week after you have put it in there, and even then I would be extremely cautious because there is no telling what the Phantom will do after getting wet. It is very difficult to tell what may be fried or shorted. Be careful when you remove the top, because the GPS cable connects the top with the bottom. Be sure to use the right screw driver for the right screws so that you don't strip the screws, and be sure to put the top back on in the same orientation as it is now. Some guys have messed up by rotating the top 90° relative to the bottom. Good luck. Let all of know how it turns out.
Where are you located to be so lucky to have 3 hours of rain?

Water will not do it any good but you can salvage it. Open it up and check it for moisture. If it has any at all I wouldn't bother with rice (doesn't work well), you'll want to flush it or submerge it in 90% rubbing alcohol you can get at the pharmacy, then compressed air if you have it, then a thorough drying like in front of your heat register for a day or so. The alcohol will not leave microscopic minerals behind like water does which will destroy your connections.

I'd been flying about a month when a friend of mine got a P1. We went out to the baseball field and on his second flight, a tree ate his drone.

A tree service in the SF Bay Area quoted $75 over the phone. Once the tree guy saw the tree, the price doubled to $150. My buddy paid it, but as far as I know that's the last time he flew.

The Phantom was about 70 feet up.

A few years back i got one stuck and it cost me $200.00 to have a guy go up and get her.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDYljjY6nO4[/youtube]

LuvMyTJ said:
How did you manage to hit the only trees for miles? :lol:

LOL i tried really hard lol

No .....i had about 5 people gather around and start asking questions so i was distracted and not paying full attention.
Gotta tell people to wait until your grounded to ask questions.

Oh and by the way it stayed in the tree overnight and no damage was done

Glad you actually paid to have someone retrieve it.

There was someone in here a few months ago bragging about grabbing his chainsaw and cutting down a 70 ft. oak tree to retrieve his stuck bird. It was on private property and he didnt even ask permission from the owner. Snuck in at 1am under cover of darkness to do it.

Got plenty of self-centered jerks in this hobby!

eckoner said:
A few years back i got one stuck and it cost me $200.00 to have a guy go up and get her.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDYljjY6nO4[/youtube]

Phantom is retrieved and in perfect working condition!

Phantom is retrieved and in perfect working condition!

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 396
Every Phantom flyer should own a Big Shot Sling Shot My bird was up 80'.Sooner or later it will end up in a tree if your lucky.If not it will fly back to china.

tonylumps said:
Every Phantom flyer should own a Big Shot Sling Shot My bird was up 80'.Sooner or later it will end up in a tree if your lucky.If not it will fly back to china.

Actually, I have one. I bought it for putting up ham wire antennas, but it is useful for many things.

I have only been stuck in 1 tree since I start Piloting mine and that was just the top of a Cedar which it had end up in after hitting a much taller hardwood tree and tumbling down to it. The other times it has always jut fell through the limbs and hit the ground :roll:
These Phantoms really are some tough birds ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna