Traveling with phantom 3 pro

Reaction score
Trip planned on Southwest Airlines from las Vegas To Seattle. Any tips on how to carry
I currently have the dji hardcase backpack (got on amazon) nervous that the bags too big to carry on. Any thoughts

I Think i would call the Airlines and give them the size and weight....and let them tell you how it would work out..and If what you have is going to be OK then your all set to enjoy the flights ! "Good Luck" !

Mine has travelled the world in its Peli basically "bombproof" case with the internal foam cut to fit the components and has never come to grief. It belonged to my son who was a jungle pilot in Papua (see Worst place to be a pilot lll on Youtube). and it travelled from `Papua to the UK/Europe many times over his seven years there. I believe airlines are OK with the Pili Storm Case in the hold due to its toughness and basically indestructible qualities. IMG_5490.jpg
IMG_5424.jpg
IMG_5490.jpg

If your P3 bag is less than 10*16*24 inches and you have less than 20 batteries you should have no issues taking as carry on. 3mins on the southwest website should give you all the comfort you need.

The batteries must be drained to let say 30% or less. Each of them should be in its fire protective sac and you must have them with you in your personal luggage in the cabin. They shouldn't be transported in luggage department, because in the case of fire nobody will react until it is too late.

Let’s say the partial discharge and fireproof sack is a waste of time and effort. It is not necessary and certainly not mandated by any regulations.

The terminals need to be protected from shorting and the packs need to be in carry on.

Reactions: Loz
I think the Lipo batteries are a huge question mark. Call the airline or search through their web site.

Batteries are no problem. FAA mandates only 2 batteries over 100 watt hours are allowed, and there is no restriction on the battery discharge level during transit. Ive flown countless times and never once been questioned about the batteries, especially since dji phantom 4 high capacity batteries aren’t even close to 100 watt hours total capacity. Only actual concern you should have is if your pack/case meets the carry on requirements as slated by the airline.

Can you find any official requirement for this?
I can't - just a thousand forum posts repeating the same myth.
You know (or at least I suspect you almost certainly do) the answer to that question.

The only thing I have come across is that certain airlines place a restriction on total number of packs (including below 100wh).

Can you find any official requirement for this?
I can't - just a thousand forum posts repeating the same myth.
OK. Maybe you're right about myth but certainly fully charged batteries can do more harm in case of any accident. There are no official requirements I know that, but it is an additional safety measure.

OK. Maybe you're right about myth but certainly fully charged batteries can do more harm in case of any accident. There are no official requirements I know that, but it is an additional safety measure.
Drone fliers aren't the only passengers that have lithium batteries.
If it was such a good idea, air safety authorities would recommend it for anyone travelling with a laptop, iPad, camera, mobile phone etc.

A depleted battery can make a fire the same as a fully charged battery. If a fire starts on the plane, it's a fire, and they have ways to address carry on's that catch fire (happens very rarely). It's the integrity of the battery that really matters. Hence your should be aware that batteries will show signs of poor integrity over time, with the sides bulging out, swelling up. That's what matters, battery integrity, IMO.

I always fly on airlines with my batteries fully charged because I will often go direct from the airport to a flight location to fly. TSA has never asked any questions about charge level, in over 100+ flights in the last 4yrs. The charge level isn't a concern.

If the OP is doing two trips, I highly suggest he invest in a good backpack for the P3P and carry it on the airplane. Forget the hard case! I only check things that are replaceable when I arrive. Everything else I'll carry on. Hard cases are heavy and awkward while on vacation (unless you've got one of the DJI light weight hard shell backpacks). You cannot hike or bike with a typical hard case, which limits your options to fly in the best locations. When someone sees you carrying a hard case in the middle of the mountains, people get suspicious. However a backpack is not. The Think Tank Helipak is the best one IMO, if you want something with quality. Otherwise, you can buy cheap drone backpacks for a little as $35 from China that work fine for about a year or so.

Thanks all! I just got back from my Seattle trip, and although I would have liked to fly a bit more to get some good footage(bad weather) going through the airport was a breeze. Not a question asked. I had all three of my batteries at full power and did just fine
Next trip, JAMAICA!

A depleted battery can make a fire the same as a fully charged battery. If a fire starts on the plane, it's a fire, and they have ways to address carry on's that catch fire (happens very rarely). It's the integrity of the battery that really matters. Hence your should be aware that batteries will show signs of poor integrity over time, with the sides bulging out, swelling up. That's what matters, battery integrity, IMO.

I always fly on airlines with my batteries fully charged because I will often go direct from the airport to a flight location to fly. TSA has never asked any questions about charge level, in over 100+ flights in the last 4yrs. The charge level isn't a concern.

If the OP is doing two trips, I highly suggest he invest in a good backpack for the P3P and carry it on the airplane. Forget the hard case! I only check things that are replaceable when I arrive. Everything else I'll carry on. Hard cases are heavy and awkward while on vacation (unless you've got one of the DJI light weight hard shell backpacks). You cannot hike or bike with a typical hard case, which limits your options to fly in the best locations. When someone sees you carrying a hard case in the middle of the mountains, people get suspicious. However a backpack is not. The Think Tank Helipak is the best one IMO, if you want something with quality. Otherwise, you can buy cheap drone backpacks for a little as $35 from China that work fine for about a year or so.
Very low SOC almost always results in a puffed cell as the worst outcome. Full rated terminal voltage is the most dangerous state.

Doesn’t change the fact that no airline seems to care at this point (for carry on).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic