Traveling Abroad w/ your Phantom. Any tips or recommendations?

Reaction score
I'm headed to Turkey and then Eastern Europe for a month. I want to take my phantom to get some pictures and videos of the beaches in Greece, hiking the Alps, and historic castles in context. I'm trying to prepare adequately and have done a little research so far, but I was wondering what tips others have? Please no speculation, only verified information.

I've looked up the UAV rules for several countries, but I cannot find Turkey's. From what I understand, the country itself doesn't embrace drones as easily as the EU, but I haven't seen any horror stories aside from an idiot running into the Blue Mosque (I hope he was fined had to pay for the repair!)

Also, does anyone have any tips re: traveling with a drone? I've heard hard cases are great, but hard cases that are worn on the back tend to not contour with the body and be somewhat cumbersome. Also that backpacks are better for things like hiking, beaches, but hard cases are better for travel. I've also been told to check with airlines re: LiPo batteries- and that most only allow transport of them if they are in the carry-on.

As far as insurance goes, I haven't found a good insurer. I would like to get one, as if the drone fails on me and I am held responsible for property damage / injury, I do not want to be jailed in a foreign country and lose my P3. Anyone know of any good insurance companies that will offer liability insurance to a hobbyist?

Rules I've found so far (hint, use translate.google.com to translate. if it's a pdf, cut and paste into the translator):

Switzerland: http://www.bazl.admin.ch/dienstleistungen/02658/index.html?lang=fr

Several others can be found on DJI's website, at http://flysafe.dji.com/#regulatory - for example:

Germany: http://www.riot.ch/wp-content/uploa...ation-unbemannte-Luftfahrtsysteme-10.2013.pdf
Austria: www.riot.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/BMVBS-Kurzinformation-unbemannte-Luftfahrtsysteme-10.2013.pdf
Czech Republic: http://www.caa.cz/letadla-bez-pilota-na-palube/unmanned-aircraft
Denmark

Can't help you with the laws and rules for the countries you wish to visit, but my P2V+ flew over the US, Myanmar, and Laos in 2014. We're in Laos again right now.

If you're going to hike, you want a backpack. Launch points and better flights will be more accessible. From my perspective, a hardcase is too cumbersome to take anywhere except from the trunk of a car to a nearby launch point. Check with the airlines. For my travels, the backpack needs to be no more than 15 kilos.

Get proficient at hand catching, if you're not already. I've had to launch from the slopes where the backpack was my launchpad and landing would have been impossible.

My LiPos are fully charged and I carried 4 last year, 5 this year. You might want to plan your day around morning and evening flights, with charging during the day and at night while you sleep. I pack two chargers.

I compartmentalize as much as possible, using pouches and containers. It makes packing easier and keeping track of your gear a breeze. I made a video of me packing but haven't uploaded it yet. I'll try now and leave a link in a later post. Internet is very slow here, so that might not be possible.

I also travel with a MacBook Air and download regularly. Never know which flight will be your last and possibly unrecoverable. I'd hate to lose all my footage.

Be careful about radio towers and environments where signal power may not be as regulated at the US.

I've had encounters with Myanmar police and Lao police. I suggest a shoot and scoot strategy. Get a good flight in and get out with as little attention as possible.

I'll post more if I think of more. Hope this helps.

Your contingency plan doesn't sit too well with me. I would assume I could leave it at the airport and retrieve it on the way out, no?

Your contingency plan doesn't sit too well with me. I would assume I could leave it at the airport and retrieve it on the way out, no?

Leaving my drone in airport custody is one of my contingencies but my not be one of theirs. Sometimes it's not up to us and you never know what can happen dealing with a foreign government.

Curious to know what part of, or why, my contingency plan doesn't sit well with you. I was just thinking through the possible outcomes and trying to mitigate risks.

I flew first class American Airlines to Jamaica 2 weeks ago. I bought the $75 backpack soft case for it. I had that as a carry on and a suit case with my clothes as my carry on. They let me put both on there(and they should for $1000 tickets).

I had to get on a single engine once in Jamaica and when checking it through security they just asked wtf it was and I opened and showed them.

GL

I also just came back from Jamaica my whole rig was X-rayed , no problems with anything flew awsome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic