Trainer Port

Reaction score
I understand there is a "trainer port" on the back of the Phantom 2 V2 remote controller.

Is there any software to use this with, I can't see it on the DJI downloads page.

Is there any documentation which describes what kind of connector/lead I need to plug in to the port.

Thanks.

Wow. 32 views and 0 replies. Have I posted in the wrong group.

The Phantom Vision 2 V2.0 has a port on the back which the DJI marketing data strongly hints that it could be used with a simulator. I take it that noone is aware of any such simulator.

A bit surprised that DJI did not emphasise the real use of this port - to be able to bypass the transmitter and send the signal via Lightbridge.

I may be wrong (often am) but I think trainer ports have a standard protocol - that is any trainer port outputs the same signals. So any simulation package that supports a trainer port will work. It's just like the standard outputs from R/C receivers - you can plug any servo into them.

Makes good economic sense - otherwise transmitter makers would have to develop and sell their own simulation software. You just need to find a simulator that offers a 4-channel quad as a supported model.

Thanks for your reply

Typically the cable used to connect to a PC or Mac is a serial to USB cable. That is, the device uses the old PC serial protocol and some electronics in the cable converts that to USB. Such cables need drivers and you may not have installed one for the cable you have (did it come with OSX software?)

You can see what sort of cable you have by plugging it in and going to
"About this Mac"
selecting "System Report"
and looking at the USB entries
There should be a USB-Serial Controller there and you can discover the details (manufacturer, model etc) by selecting it.

Having done that, search the web for a matching OSX driver.

Looks like that's what is happening. I have the remote plugged in, but there's nothing listed in the USB details section. Remote is switched on, BTW!

I can't find any driver on-line - they all point to the RC assistant. I emailed DJI and got this...

Jolie.Zhuo (DJI)
Nov 17 18:47

Dear Connor,

you can use our remote controller to the simulator software through the training port. For the cable, you can contact our service center for one (the cables would not be available so soon because we need to ship them to our overseas service center. But once they arrive in our service center, you can get one with them).

For simulator software, sorry that I know only little about that and thus cannot give you a valuable answer. My suggestions will be to ask other customers online. I think there are lots of them who have experiences with different simulators and know the advantages/disadvantages of them, as our DJI customers are so smart and creative.

Thank you for your kindly understandings!

Best regards,

Jolie

Has ANYONE managed to get the RC working with a sim?

I did but a specific cable. It has a small jack on one end and a USB on the other. The cable connects on to the underside of the controller.

Like this
BABAF913-EFC9-44B3-840E-B4E2B7C004F5_zpsdlmi3yjp.jpg

The large lump at the USB plug end of that cable contains the serial-usb conversion electronics. When you plug that into your Mac (just the cable, nothing plugged in at the other end) your Mac should interrogate the USB plug and discover things about it (since the electronics will have been powered from the USB port of the Mac). You should definitely then see something appear in the USB entries part of the System Report.

zenoshrdlu said:
The large lump at the USB plug end of that cable contains the serial-usb conversion electronics. When you plug that into your Mac (just the cable, nothing plugged in at the other end) your Mac should interrogate the USB plug and discover things about it (since the electronics will have been powered from the USB port of the Mac). You should definitely then see something appear in the USB entries part of the System Report.

Here's what I'm seeing.

[URL=http://s1371.photobucket.com/u...nShot2014-11-29at205507_zpsfbd781ea.png[/img][/url]

Thanks for your help, BTW - invaluable!

happydays said:
zenoshrdlu said:

Here's what I'm seeing.

[URL=http://s1371.photobucket.com/u...nShot2014-11-29at205507_zpsfbd781ea.png[/img][/url]

Thanks for your help, BTW - invaluable!

Here's what I'm seeing - An error message from Photobucket that you moved or deleted the image.

Connor - too late to write more tonight, but the pic shows there is a usb-serial (PPM) device attached. You could try searching for the manufacturer using the vendor and device id's.

PS Take a look at this page - you might want to download and try the demo version.
http://heli-x.net/

The trainer port plugs easily into a Lightbridge ground unit using the LB cable. I suppose it will function as a normal trainer port for using with computer simulation/training software if you have the right cable. As you already found out, there are many types out there. These guys http://www.aerosimrc.com/en/home.htm sell simulator software and provide a trainer -->USB cable with their software. Not sure if they include the cable with the multi-roter simulation software but if not you can just buy the cable as an add on.

Wow. 32 views and 0 replies. Have I posted in the wrong group.

The Phantom Vision 2 V2.0 has a port on the back which the DJI marketing data strongly hints that it could be used with a simulator. I take it that noone is aware of any such simulator.

A bit surprised that DJI did not emphasise the real use of this port - to be able to bypass the transmitter and send the signal via Lightbridge.

I am able to use my V.2 P2 controller with the Phoenix Simulator and cable without any problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.