Bought a Futaba T8 transmitter - what would YOU do??

Reaction score
So...I have a brand new Futaba T8 and a Phantom I'm flying as a trainer to recover my heli flying skills which are extremely rusty after a 22 year hiatus from flying. Although I have a Gopro, I have little interest in taking video at present, and I'm much more interested in recovering my old skills and cultivating excellent new, quad specific flying skills. Consequently, I currently fly the Phantom very near by - never more than 40 - 50 yards away, and at a very modest altitude of perhaps 30, max 50 feet.

I want to save the current Rx that came with the radio for installation in the OFM JUmper 600 I ordered. I have the option of dropping a Futaba Rx into the Phantom - I could probably pick one up at my local hobby shop today. Should I bother going through that whole installation and setup process?? I watched three YouTube videos on the entire process and I'm CERTAIN I can get the Rx swapped, but only PRETTY SURE I can manage the Tx setup. That part seems a bit daunting to me. Maybe if I watch the video a time or two more my confidence in properly setting the Tx up will improve.

The obvious advantage would be using ONE transmitter for both quads. Since my Phantom is V.1.1.1, the throttle is self-centering. Not so the T8. A concern I have is that this could prove to be a source of confusion when switching between copters. So...what would YOU do? Two copters, two transmitters or two copters one Tx?

Also, one quick question: I'm flying the Phantom as if it were an R/C plane. What I mean by that is when circling or doing figure 8's, I input pitch, roll and yaw (forward stick, left aileron, left rudder for example) to do "coordinated turns" as you would if flying a real plane. Can I use the Futaba T8 (Heli) to mix roll and yaw (aileron and rudder) so I only need to use the right hand stick and reserve the left hand stick exclusively for throttle?

PF

You need the T8J in R/C Plane mode. If you open the back of the TX and remove the square plastic plate at the back of the left stick you'll find it should self centre.

MKheng said:
You need the T8J in R/C Plane mode. If you open the back of the TX and remove the square plastic plate at the back of the left stick you'll find it should self centre.

Hmmm...didn't see that in the manual. Must have missed it, which is easy to do as the manual is JAMMED with information. That's great news. I may just do that! Thank you, sir!! :cool:

PF

Unless they've changed the hardware around, the T8J has no option to self-center .. unless you contact them and they'll send you out the hardware to convert it.

But it's def handy to have one Tx for both quads,. just set up different models in the setup.
I'd hate flying my quads without a timer, p-mixes and stuff.

I ordered the bits to change my TX to self centring sticks and took the plate off the back and they self centred, didn't need to fit anything just remove the plate.

Going to take it apart tomorrow. Will let you know what I find.

EDIT: So, I opened up the back. No joy. The design of the throttle gimbal is not amenable to modification for centering. There would need to be a post and a tab to which a spring could be mounted to pull the lever back to midline, and there is none. :cry:

PF

Before to took mine apart and realised all I needed to do was remove the plate I emailed Futaba and they said, and did, send me the parts to make the stick self center FOC. The parts needed are;
HSP50105 SPRING HOOK
HSP50120 SWING ARM
HSP79832 SCREW 2X14
HSP67445 SPRING

MKheng said:
Before to took mine apart and realised all I needed to do was remove the plate I emailed Futaba and they said, and did, send me the parts to make the stick self center FOC. The parts needed are;
HSP50105 SPRING HOOK
HSP50120 SWING ARM
HSP79832 SCREW 2X14
HSP67445 SPRING

Outstanding. Thank you for your help and information. I definitely want to make the change. I'll drop them a note.

10-28-13 EDIT: I was directed to a repair shop in GA and spoke to a fellow named Tony. He's sending me the parts. Total cost $6.50.
Thanks again, MKheng!!

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20