Torn on buying a Standard or Advanced... New pilot

I'm a long time hobbyist landscape photographer who just got a itch to get into aerial photography to spice things up a bit.

I'm looking at buying a phantom as they seem like a solid photography platform, but I really can't figure out if its worth pushing my budget (and angering my wife) to get the P3A or if I should get the nice P3S package on amazon that comes with lots of accessories for much less than the advanced drone alone.

I will be using this mostly for coastal photography, often over water, in very rural areas with little or no wifi interference. With some parabolic reflectors could I get respectable wifi range on a standard in these conditions?

The idea of flying 1-3km with the advanced fascinates me, as I could fly it from my deck at home and explore a lot of coastal coves and islands. Do you need perfect line of sight for Lightbridge to work properly?

Any advice on if I might regret getting the standard instead of going right to the advanced? Thanks for any input.

Don't waste your time on the toys .. get a P3P or P4 this way you won't need to buy a better one later!!!

I think it's always a good idea to buy the newest technology if you can afford it - and if you can't afford it, then buy the previous technology. But don't go any further back than that because technology improves too fast and your purchase will be obsolete before you know it.

P4 = newest technology - 2016

P3A = previous technology - 2015
by the same logic, your P4 will be obsolete by next year. personally think your looking at this from the wrong angle (not an insult) Take a look at what the actual drone can do. so lets take a very experienced pilot with a P3A and a Very experienced Pilot with a P4. go film the same thing. you will still get the same result. the reality is a P3A does more then enough for the normal person, who wants to film for a hobby. just as the P4 does.

My take on the following. People get drawn into the little things (just like cell phones, just like any gadget) is a P3 A/P better then a standard? Yes because of the WiFi link.
Now is a P3A worse than a P3P? based on what? a 4k camera? how many people really Film in 4K, then go edit in 4K, then Upload in 4K, and then get people looking at the video in 4K?
You need a very powerful pc to make a proper Video using 4K then when its posted to the Likes of Youtube, Facebook ect? does the person watching it, really see the benefits of 4k?
If you have all of the above, awesome, if you dont, P3A is more than ample.
Look at what your end goal is, take away the hype about this and that. and see what you need.
A stable camera platform, that's easy to fly, easy to use and able to film in HD?
(as a side note, everyone has gone nuts for the Mavic. does it film better than a P2/3/4 for that matter? in short no)
ps, just my opinion, not trying to rile everyone's feathers.

Reactions: Goldsaum82
by the same logic, your P4 will be obsolete by next year. personally think your looking at this from the wrong angle (not an insult) Take a look at what the actual drone can do. so lets take a very experienced pilot with a P3A and a Very experienced Pilot with a P4. go film the same thing. you will still get the same result. the reality is a P3A does more then enough for the normal person, who wants to film for a hobby. just as the P4 does.
In 1984 you could buy an IBM PC. Why waste your money on the new AT or even an XT? If you don't need it, there's no point in buying it, I guess. ;)

My take on the following. People get drawn into the little things (just like cell phones, just like any gadget) is a P3 A/P better then a standard? Yes because of the WiFi link.
Now is a P3A worse than a P3P? based on what? a 4k camera? how many people really Film in 4K, then go edit in 4K, then Upload in 4K, and then get people looking at the video in 4K?
You need a very powerful pc to make a proper Video using 4K then when its posted to the Likes of Youtube, Facebook ect? does the person watching it, really see the benefits of 4k?
If you have all of the above, awesome, if you dont, P3A is more than ample.
Look at what your end goal is, take away the hype about this and that. and see what you need.
A stable camera platform, that's easy to fly, easy to use and able to film in HD?
(as a side note, everyone has gone nuts for the Mavic. does it film better than a P2/3/4 for that matter? in short no)
ps, just my opinion, not trying to rile everyone's feathers.
Agree completely. I own a P3A and can't imagine needing anything better/newer at this point in time. I also own a P3 4K and never even shoot video in 4K. I still prefer recording/post-editing my work in 1080P @ 24fps. Now, the P3S certainly limits you in terms of range, but will still give you excellent video. I still say go for the P3A.

Don't waste your time on the toys .. get a P3P or P4 this way you won't need to buy a better one later!!!
The P3P is just as much of a "toy" as the P3A. Aside from different cameras, they're literally the exact same bird. Do you do a lot of shooting/post-editing in 4K? If so, please share your projects with the rest of us. I'd love to see it!

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
I have owned a Standard for the last year and am looking to upgrade (if Santa brings my wish true). I am more interested in the Pro, for the better camera + range. It is also good to be able to use the batteries from the Standard in the Pro (or advanced). I would go for the 4, but now there are two sets of everything with no overlap or reuse. I have had one serious mishap with the Standard, broke the camera off. Was able to fix it and it flies great. Trying to get some work after getting the airman cert, being able to shoot 4K video, plus having the stability of signal with Lightbridge are the main reasons for me wanting to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The comment about 4k vs 2.7k is valid as most people cannot edit or even view 4k video.
Upload to YouTube / vimeo and even 2.7k gets downgraded !

The advantage is in the range of the models.

Let's be realistic. The P3S can be pushed out past the 1km mark with about $50 modification.
The P3A hits the 2km mark as does the P3P but costs a darn site more than the S version.

I bought the P3S version - have now bought argtek mod for it. Will it cover my needs ? My original reqts were for about 500m range ... that has now expanded to what I can get. Would I still buy the P3S ? Probably not, basically because I have now found various selling fully working deals second-hand of the A and P versions for not much more than I paid for my new S.

Nigel

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
I'm a long time hobbyist landscape photographer who just got a itch to get into aerial photography to spice things up a bit.

I'm looking at buying a phantom as they seem like a solid photography platform, but I really can't figure out if its worth pushing my budget (and angering my wife) to get the P3A or if I should get the nice P3S package on amazon that comes with lots of accessories for much less than the advanced drone alone.

I will be using this mostly for coastal photography, often over water, in very rural areas with little or no wifi interference. With some parabolic reflectors could I get respectable wifi range on a standard in these conditions?

The idea of flying 1-3km with the advanced fascinates me, as I could fly it from my deck at home and explore a lot of coastal coves and islands. Do you need perfect line of sight for Lightbridge to work properly?

Any advice on if I might regret getting the standard instead of going right to the advanced? Thanks for any input.
Get the Advanced. The Standard is far better quality when it comes to the Remote Control. The Standard only has ONE antenna as opposed to TWO with the Standard.

I think Jcmarathon meant to say that the Advanced remote is better than the Standard (Advanced has 2 antennae). 2.7k camera. True many devices cannot play back 4K (yet).

There are good reasons to get the Advanced, but the number of antennas is not one of them.

The Standard has three antennas: One is visible on top for control, and the two inside, hidden from view, are for FPV/telemetery.

The Advanced has two visible antennas. My understanding is, one is for control and one is for Lightbridge.

Reactions: firestars
Solent,

Thanks for the link. The Advanced and Pro both utilize Lightbridge which is how these Phantoms get more distance and a more stable link in general than the Standard. This is the big difference between the models, plus the 4K camera on the Pro.

I really like my Standard, but the recent Black Friday deals had me looking at the Pro. I have a couple batteries and some other accessories, so I wanted to stay in the Phantom 3 series.

What Is Lightbridge 2 And How Does It Work?

According to online reviews, Lightbridge combines ALL signals - control and video feeds into one as the link above explains.
I've read these articles before and thought same, but I've been told on this site that I'm mistaken and the two antennas on the P3A/P controller do two different jobs. My enlightened but still weak understanding is that one antenna/transmitter handles control via the 2.4 ghz band and the other antenna/transceiver handles both FPV and telemetery, but it's done via lightbridge which is proprietary to DJI and is not a wifi signal even though it uses 2.4 ghz, but a different channel than control.

If somebody wants to correct or expound on this with solid info, that would be marvelous. :grinning:

The problem with LB as I understand it - DJI will not give out too much info on it to avoid copycats.

But all sites including DJI own - indicate a single combined signal system.

The only way we could check if the signals are split across those two antenna would be to dissasemble and measure the active part of the actual antenna inside the plastic stick. If they differ - then yes, if same - then likely the single system is true.

Nigel

The guy who corrected me had links and tests and evidence proving he was correct, so I had no recourse but to exit the thread with my tail between my legs...

The guy who corrected me had links and tests and evidence proving he was correct, so I had no recourse but to exit the thread with my tail between my legs...

Ouch !

Would like to see the guys evidence - really genuinely interested.

Once I get back home and have good connection - I will be looking into this .....

Has anyone opened up an advanced / pro transmitter RC ? What connections are to the antenna ?

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj