"Topping Off" my battery?

Reaction score
My procedure for charging my batteries has been to get home from flying, plug the battery in and charge until the lights go out. The next time I go to fly (let's say the next day or a couple of days later) when I check the battery I get 4 lights denoting full. But if I plug it in (with the power on, as advised ny the manual, since it has more than 75% charge) it will seem to keep charging for about 5 minutes before the lights go out. I assume it's discharging a bit overnight and I am"topping it off" . Is this a good idea and am I getting any more flight time since I do get the 4 lights when I first check it.
Thanks,
Steve

Even though you see 4 lights, it's probably not 100% always. You may be around 95% but that extra "top off charge" may give you that extra 30sec - 1 min of comfortable flight time.

Topping off Lipo batteries is fine. Discharging a Lipo all the way to 0% (impossible for safe P2 flying I know) is exactly what you do not want to do. There is a relationship between discharge amount and the life cycle of a battery. If you only use from 100% to 90% of a Lipo, you can get immensely more discharges as you would going from 100% to 10% each time. This may seem straightforward upon hear it, but many people worry that charging a lipo that isn't fully discharged is actually damaging it. This is untrue.

If your battery is >90% charged, the lights won't come on and it will appear to be 100%.
You can get the last <10% in by turning on the battery (lights come on) and then plugging it into the charger.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadabyanza24