Told to stop flying!

I have had people tell me that when they hear drone, the first thing they think of is a remote piloted plane in Afghanistan shooting hellfire missles at the enemy. I hate the word drone and wish they were called quadcopters.
I have always called them quadrocopters and no one seems to know what I am talking about and correct me calling it a drone.

I agree that the word "drone" has accumulated a lot of negative baggage and many people are prejudiced when they hear the word. I'm a photographer, and to me it's just another camera. I refer to my P4A as a "flying camera", or a radio-controlled helicopter. The word helicopter is not limited to single rotor aircraft, since some military helicopters like the CH-47 "Chinook" have twin main rotors. I also use the term quadcopter. If someone says, "oh, you mean a drone," than I explain why I don't use that term, and they understand.

Hey guys, I own a p3p and was flying it at my local mall, small mall, not near airports or directly over people or cars following all the rules to my knowledge. Just getting some shots for a vlog. Done this many times. But this time I was stopped by a "mall security officer" and was told to stop flying. I asked for justification and got, because we don't want drones flying here. If that's the rule then that's the rule, so be it. But can they really tell me I can't fly here even though I'm not breaking any rules?! If so I guess I was uninformed and that's my fault. Should I be able to fly here? And are malls and business allowed to say I can't?
Hey guys, I own a p3p and was flying it at my local mall, small mall, not near airports or directly over people or cars following all the rules to my knowledge. Just getting some shots for a vlog. Done this many times. But this time I was stopped by a "mall security officer" and was told to stop flying. I asked for justification and got, because we don't want drones flying here. If that's the rule then that's the rule, so be it. But can they really tell me I can't fly here even though I'm not breaking any rules?! If so I guess I was uninformed and that's my fault. Should I be able to fly here? And are malls and business allowed to say I can't?
There are reply with bits and pieces.. The word you used is can.. ok. This is private property as opposed to public. So technically they can prohibit you from taking off or landing or being on their property controlling it. It is technically true.that most private property does not posses rights to the space above it. However, there are safety rules for endangering people animal and property in cases. A makk cop could detain you for the police. And lastly citizens and police often aren't to familiar with rights pertain to drones. Some places and cities etc have prohibitions. And don't forget airport restrictions. Good luck

I would cite private property rights trumping anything else. However, at some point you're in class g airspace, even over private property. And yes, mall cops are notorious for being LEO rejects who devote their existence to manufacturing their own authority. There's a good chance that mall owners aren't even aware of your drone.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
There are reply with bits and pieces.. The word you used is can.. ok. This is private property as opposed to public. So technically they can prohibit you from taking off or landing or being on their property controlling it. It is technically true.that most private property does not posses rights to the space above it. However, there are safety rules for endangering people animal and property in cases. A makk cop could detain you for the police. And lastly citizens and police often aren't to familiar with rights pertain to drones. Some places and cities etc have prohibitions. And don't forget airport restrictions. Good luck

I see you are in the USA...
What exactly are our drone rights?

Reactions: yorlik
I hate the word drone and wish they were called quadcopters.
A while back, I said the same thing, and still dislike the "drone" connotation due to what is sometimes attached to the name. Kinda brings the though of military spying to mind sometimes.
I lost that "battle" (although not really a battle).

I hate the word drone and wish they were called quadcopters.

But what about tri rotors, Hex, Octo, fixed wings etc. Although "Quads" are a large sector of our industry there is a lot more to UAS than quads.

Why don't we all try calling them UAS if we want to be technical or we can go with the already established (and John Q. Public accepted) term of drones and call it a day :)

But what about tri rotors, Hex, Octo, fixed wings etc. Although "Quads" are a large sector of our industry there is a lot more to UAS than quads.

Why don't we all try calling them UAS if we want to be technical or we can go with the already established (and John Q. Public accepted) term of drones and call it a day :)
I always call it my flying machine or aircraft. I never called it drone.

Reactions: BigAl07
I call mine a drone
  • It's really easy to say
  • People know what I'm taking about
  • I don't have to waste my time explaining to them in a very patronising manner why they are wrong (which as well as getting their backs up makes me look like a bit of a d**k)
  • Because (as well as a host of other names) that's what it is
:)

That's why I don't fly where people can see me or flight at times when people are not present. I'm not "hiding" but don't want to invite attention and distraction. I like to stay focused on flying.

Reactions: Erised
There's nothing vague about the FAA rule regarding flying height. It is 400 feet AGL, with the exception of the need to fly over structure which an additional 400 feet is allowed .

The solution is simple, keep way from people, the US has 3.8 million square miles, there must be a few places you won't get harassed. And by the way call your bird what you may but dji calls them drones.

I think you have to be willing to establish your legitimacy, although you don't have to and can assert your rights. A little transparency goes a long way. I've been quizzed a couple of times by employees of businesses located within buildings. I tell them I'm FAA Certified and show them my business card and my 107 ticket. That always seems to help, since now they're questioning the authority of a federal entity, albeit vicariously through me. Now they're on unfamiliar ground and they know you've got the upper hand. They are reluctant to engage you on regs since now you've established you're operating under the auspices of a federal regulating body and can produce the corresponding credentials... all the while with a smile on my face and pleasant voice inflection. That said, if they hardline me and tell me no, I take the non-confrontational route and pack up my bags and comply with their wishes and see it as part of the job. If you get wrapped up in technicalities, rights, authority, etc... it's just not worth the trouble and hassle. At some level, it gives fellow 107 peeps a bad reputation/stigma.

This is not unlike a licensed plumber with no ID who simply shows up and starts tinkering with pipe. Who is this guy and what is he doing? If he's wearing a uniform shirt and driving a vehicle with his ID on it, you don't think twice. If he's willing to show you who he is BEFORE you ask for it, it raises the viewer's comfort level exponentially. If you look sneaking, then you are sneaky to whoever sees you - especially when you're operating this new-fangled device. It's called human nature. I always put my car magnet on the side of my vehicle and wear my "regulation" t-shirt. Their reasoning process goes something like this: if this person has gone to the trouble of making a special shirt and car magnet, he must be legit. You can argue the merits of the FAA regs all day long, but one thing remains the same: you're familiar with them but mall cops (and others) are not. They're under the thumb of the mall owner and will most often err on the side of caution (and their employer).

Until we're past the threshold of novelty, I think this is the best route to take.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik