Toilet bowl effect-- big time

ericdes said:
Ian,

It looks to me that my Fc40 (1.1.1) and your P2X have the same compass, on the same leg, at the same height.

Page 28 of the NAZA manual SPECIFICALLY states to rotate the GPS puck the number of degrees that the magnetic declination you register at your location to FIX the toilet bowl effect.

Now we all know that the GPS puck they are talking about has both GPS and compass inside it, so for us we don't rotate the GPS inside the Phantom, but we can rotate the compass on the leg WHICH WORKS.

Ian, have you actually tried it??? Take a small 5 minutes of your time and yeah, try it. My Phantom has never flown so rock solid, it just behaves like it should. I would get the toilet bowl effect growing larger and larger until I corrected it several times. With gimbal and Gopro 3+ black attached, by the time it was steady, my flight time was over. Now I start when it lifts off.

Let us know how that goes once you try it, unless you have a scientific explanation why we should avoid this proven fix.

My P2 worked great upon initial purchase. Then I put on longer legs to allow GOPRO/Gimbal to hang freely. After that P2 soon spiraled out of control in GPS mode until I manually corrected to keep from crashing. Legs apparently realigned the compass. Did a couple of IMU advanced calibrations, even though software indicated all readings were in normal range (including compass). Advanced calibration did not eliminate the TBE. Toilet bowl effect only went away after I rotated compass on leg about 15 degrees (my declination here in Washington State).

I have to wonder if you realize you're replying to a thread that had its last post 3 months ago? You did not mention what version of the firmware, and in particular what version of the central board firmware you're runninng. The compass declination issue fix was literally just posted by DJI yesterday, so I would advise you to download the latest assistant and check it out. Regardless of the outcome, this thread should probably be locked.

I just upgraded to the 3.06.. Still a bit of a left J hook on initial run, and a slight toilet bowl effect.. But a definite improvement.

Just a final follow up.. Since the last 3.06 upgrade, the problem has been fixed.. I returned my vision 2 compass back to the factory set position, and it flies great.. Likewise with my 2+.. The J hook, and the toilet bowl effect have disappeared.. Thank-you DJI.. You did a great job correcting the declination problem.. Sure love my copters!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic