P4 Firmware To update or not...

Reaction score
After 18 months flying with my P4P, i've never updated the bird itself. Never had any problems flying it. So should i update or not through DJI assit 2 ?? Could the drone benefit of more functionalities if i do or will it start doing crazy things up in the air ?

I would suggest that you review what you will gain (if anything that you think is important and of value to you) from updating and make your decision from that!

Yip this thread is never ending but good read what comes out,I say this yesterday and say again I never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never used to update on p4 till this happen,,this pretty rear now but does happen,,,,yes it's optional to update or not,,Iif it go good,leave it,if got some strange issue going on a update might help,,no new features lately anyway,,updates do give you extra settings here and there but mostly spam for device,,.only time you WILL get made to do firmware is if you want to use goggles,,,thankfully mine won't have updates for a while,it fell out the sky on my own roof,,,just add if you are going to update read it slowly so you know what is being added or not
Screenshot_20190205-101335.jpg

I NEVER update and won’t unless forced to do so! With increasing restrictions and Dji Fencing DJI is imposing you could be grounded!
Good luck
Jim
Wa5

Reactions: lasersbee
I NEVER update and won’t unless forced to do so! With increasing restrictions and Dji Fencing DJI is imposing you could be grounded!
Good luck
Jim
Wa5
If it ain't broke.....
I used to think like you guys and I for one I agree with your point of view. What changed my mind is the following. Lets say I'm flying in X area. Said area is a known NFZ that requires authorization. You were flying in the area adjacent to the NFZ area, but entered the NFZ during your flight, unknowingly. You didn't know because Geofencing wasn't installed. Then an accident happens. During the investigation, all this will come to light. To me it's better to have it all and learn to jump the proper hoops to get that flight, than to regret anything.

Reactions: Ridowh
I used to think like you guys and I for one I agree with your point of view. What changed my mind is the following. Lets say I'm flying in X area. Said area is a known NFZ that requires authorization. You were flying in the area adjacent to the NFZ area, but entered the NFZ during your flight, unknowingly. You didn't know because Geofencing wasn't installed. Then an accident happens. During the investigation, all this will come to light. To me it's better to have it all and learn to jump the proper hoops to get that flight, than to regret anything.
You should know the adjacent area was a NFZ and stayed way clear. No need for DJI to force you to.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: lasersbee
I always update as soon as available. I like the new features and updates often add to stability. Have never had a fly off or fall out of the sky. I also never fly in NFZ's and appreciate that the controller tells me if I'm close. Flying in a NFZ, police called, crashing causing damage, being held liable because you shouldn't be there anyway would be my worst nightmare. I'm a 107 and won't jeopardize that with doing things you shouldn't anyway.

You should know the adjacent area was a NFZ and stayed way clear. No need for DJI to force you to.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF
But that's the thing. I know how to look them up and understand them, but not everyone has studied for Part 107 or even glanced at what NFZ means. To them is, open sky, Lets fly!. It was implemented against those people. We are just collateral damage.

Reactions: DroneB
My P4P+ has never been updated in over 2 years...
P4P+ flies great as is.
Don't really need DJI restricting my safe flying...

Jerry
I'm new. Could you please explain. I just got a Phantom 4 pro + and it says if I don't update my craft I will only fly up to some 30 meters. So If I don't I can't take this bad boy to fly more than 30 meters when I'm traveling to Thailand and Australia. Right?

Don't update if you don't have to.
Last weekend a coworker went out on a job involving taking photos, panoramas and video at an industrial facility. The client wanted views from next to some smoke stacks and towers.
My coworker was using a P4P+ which I had told him not to update the database on.
Also at the site was a new female pilot who brought her new P4P and Mavic 2, both all up to the latest firmware and geomaps.
Just so happens, DJI had the facility listed as a Red Zone.
My coworker was able to launch, get the shots and handed the SD card to a very happy client.
The other pilot tried for an hour to launch either of her two quads only to finally give up when the software refused to let her fly.
The client was very unhappy and the drone service who subcontracted her for the job decided to part ways with her on future projects.
My coworker was told that he can expect to called to do more work in the near future due to being able to fly that day.
DJI and their geofencing is costing pilots and companies time and money and many are looking for alternatives.
Updates don't open up features, they turn them off and restrict your flights which can cost you in the long run.
Don't Update.

Reactions: Frylikeabird
Last weekend a coworker went out on a job involving taking photos, panoramas and video at an industrial facility. The client wanted views from next to some smoke stacks and towers.
My coworker was using a P4P+ which I had told him not to update the database on.
Also at the site was a new female pilot who brought her new P4P and Mavic 2, both all up to the latest firmware and geomaps.
My coworker was able to launch, get the shots and handed the SD card to a very happy client.
The other pilot tried for an hour to launch either of her two quads only to finally give up when the software refused to let her fly.
The client was very unhappy and the drone service who subcontracted her for the job decided to part ways with her on future projects.
My coworker was told that he can expect to called to do more work in the near future due to being able to fly that day.
DJI and their geofencing is costing pilots and companies time and money and many are looking for alternatives.
Updates don't open up features, they turn them off and restrict your flights which can cost you in the long run.
Don't Update.
That is a sad story for that female pilot. This is why I use an Evo as a backup. If Phantom fails me, I won't lose my job.

Reactions: Cellblock776
Don't Update.
Thank so much. It's too late. I updated but I'm going to buy another one. What firmware # do you recommend? If I don't updated does that mean I can't fly no more than 30meter and I'll be unable to take it to Australia and Thailand for my upcoming vacation? This is very hard. Maybe I should just part way with drone and stick to traditional photography.

Thank so much. It's too late. I updated but I'm going to buy another one. What firmware # do you recommend? If I don't updated does that mean I can't fly no more than 30meter and I'll be unable to take it to Australia and Thailand for my upcoming vacation? This is very hard. Maybe I should just part way with drone and stick to traditional photography.
Don't give up so easily. Do your reseach and choose places you are allowed to fly or get the waivers through the proper channels.

My P4P+ has never been updated in over 2 years...
P4P+ flies great as is.
Don't really need DJI restricting my safe flying...

Jerry
Totally agree ... wish I could return it to the last good update (version '509') before ANY DJI-NFZ restrictions were enabled. Trouble is the maps won't download when using old firmware. On a Plus controller, I must have maps ... wonder if someone has successfully "jail-broken" a P4P+ RC and AC to be able to do everything well with no DJI imposed restrictions and still be able to have maps download. BTW, the maps now are tiny-area versions of what used to be able to be downloaded. I used to be able to download an entire state ... now it is just a small area and you have to download multiple maps to cover the same area as before. It blows !!!

My P4P has flown without problems since purchase March 2017. No updates.

Regarding NFZ restrictions and the multitude of other drone flight safety concerns...

What about requiring all drone pilots to pass the Part 107 Remote Pilot Knowledge Test, regardless of their intended drone use? Seems like that might be a big step forward in drone flight safety.

Just too many drones...

Totally agree ... wish I could return it to the last good update (version '509') before ANY DJI-NFZ restrictions were enabled. Trouble is the maps won't download when using old firmware. On a Plus controller, I must have maps ... wonder if someone has successfully "jail-broken" a P4P+ RC and AC to be able to do everything well with no DJI imposed restrictions and still be able to have maps download. BTW, the maps now are tiny-area versions of what used to be able to be downloaded. I used to be able to download an entire state ... now it is just a small area and you have to download multiple maps to cover the same area as before. It blows !!!
My ac firmware is at 01.02.304 but my gl300e controller firmware is on the latest firmware. I accidentally updated. I don't know to how to revert back to what I had. It flys but it keeps sometimes for over 3 minutes and then stops. Any help

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic