Tip to make propellers last longer

Reaction score
Drone props are a big bummer sometimes to replace. They can be expensive. Here’s a tip to make them last longer. Works both on plastic and carbon-fiber. After 10 flights, especially in a sunny climate, do this. Get some uv protectant or clear coat car protectant or the aerospace protectant used on rubber boats. Use a little bit of it. Follow the directions on the container. Get the tops and bottoms of props. If you own a mavic or spark, you may need to remove the props with the right tool. This will protect your props from getting cracked, thinned or melted in the sun. Do this every 10 flights.

"Why after 10 flights" ? then do what you recommended ?

I don't think this is a very well thought out idea.....They last a long long time and are around $12 - $14 for a set of four....i'd rather replace them as you add weight when you clear coat them...then you need to check the balance on them.

Based on the clear "space age"... clear coat "COST"......S i m p l e Buy new props.

And they are sure No bummer to replace i can replace them all in way less then 5 minutes.

replacing all 4 props after 10 flights is going to run IN some costly fun flights !

Reactions: Matchlock
The props on my P2 are 4+ yrs old with no such fiddling.
I understand the desire to 'tinker' but this treatment is purely psychological and not necessary given the co$t as pointed out already.

have to agree with the others ...

Lets be honest - to UV damage your props etc. - you would need to leave your model out in the sun considerable amount of time. Given that the average quad I know spends less time in the sun than most fixed wing models .... ??

"Why after 10 flights" ? then do what you recommended ?

I don't think this is a very well thought out idea.....They last a long long time and are around $12 - $14 for a set of four....i'd rather replace them as you add weight when you clear coat them...then you need to check the balance on them.

Based on the clear "space age"... clear coat "COST"......S i m p l e Buy new props.

And they are sure No bummer to replace i can replace them all in way less then 5 minutes.

replacing all 4 props after 10 flights is going to run IN some costly fun flights !
Dude why such a buzz kill??? the guy is just saying he has a tip to share

Reactions: K Henry
Drone props are a big bummer sometimes to replace. They can be expensive. Here’s a tip to make them last longer. Works both on plastic and carbon-fiber. After 10 flights, especially in a sunny climate, do this. Get some uv protectant or clear coat car protectant or the aerospace protectant used on rubber boats. Use a little bit of it. Follow the directions on the container. Get the tops and bottoms of props. If you own a mavic or spark, you may need to remove the props with the right tool. This will protect your props from getting cracked, thinned or melted in the sun. Do this every 10 flights.
Good idea! We all probably have somethong like that in our garage already. Or shed or kitchen drawer...a quick wipe couldn't hurt. No extra wieght to consider, like a thin coat of wax. I don't think it is necessary, but why not a coat of UV wax? Excellent!

Well read what we ALL have to say....... ^Above^ ....the tip is useless period ! why lie to him ? no dudes here.

Reactions: trcsmith
I wouldn't consider the number of flights rather than the time in the air. If a person has a concern of their props I would never use an abrasive to clean seeing that it would remove the UV rating, I would instead soak in a luke warm water bath (NO SOAP), dry with a clean clothe wipe with an alcohol pad & finish off with this UV rated liquid as "Dronesolace", had mentioned. Seems a bit over kill but who are we to judge what the dude wants....My brother-in law heads up HELO maintenance & part of that includes major scrutiny of the blades now I know it's not the same....I'm just saying, oh & Mr. K Henry I apologize sir and yes you're write lets help each other in a more constructive method of critique

Reactions: rward325
I have always just used baby wipes with Aloe since I started flying and clean the whole bird with em. Gets the bug juice off easy what does stick. I still have P2 blades I use over 4 years old .
0ROJYyg.png

Wet Wipes ... damp cloth .....

Check balance every now and then.

Years later unless you have incident - you may change them !

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
If we are talking alternative uses for wet wipes, I use them to help my snakes shed when they sometimes struggle with their moulting. Once, a newly acquired Carpet Python decided that it was hard going and I had to step in and do the business armed with a box of Aloe Vera Wet Wipes.
You could read the gratification when finally peeled ... and my relief that we ended up as best mates.
They seem to understand and appreciate that I am just trying to help. I also have a Mexican Black Kingsnake that sometimes needs a hand but you need to keep an eye on the sharp end. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
My worst fear is snakes .... sorry ... having been in Africa and not only myself but also my brother been face on with such as Mamba's - I have a healthy dislike and avoidance of them.

Many years ago between jobs - I took on a door to door sales job .. did quite well in fact - until an incident convinced me to pursue other avenues.

Sitting on the divan making my presentation ..... I did not notice another enter the room... who decided it was funny to drop a 4ft long Python into my lap ..... THEN I found out why there was an empty glass 'aquarium' in the corner of the room.

I made the sale .... but that was a pivotal moment in my life ...

Hi Nigel, I have an assortment of 6 wrigglies. All were rescues via the “SSPCA Cat & Dog Home”! Aye, puzzled me at first. :)
They ended up calling me to offer first refusal on some of the more exotic ones. The Inspector was impressed with how I handled a Grey Rat Snake which no-one could get near for more than a year. I had it curled up in my arms after only half an hour “getting ground rules established”. I think that’s him playing at Aliens in my avatar.

We are lucky not to have any venomous versions, just the odd nip (accidental of course) that draws a drop or two of B Rh pos. Any dangerous beasties have to be licenced. I am actually thinking about passing my whole collection on to someone who can spend a bit more time with them. Age related wear and tear (3x bypass on the ticker) and nerve damage to lower leg makes for some hilarious antics trying to get off my back-side from the lower vivariums. We’ll see! :)

Lots have phobias , snakes ,spiders just bugs in general. If you understand them and don't invade thier
territory most just go on . I have always hunted a lot so am used to them but sometimes you do run into them.
This one I did in Texas Turkey hunting and hit me on my snake boot and all you see he got was a bloody mouth to start with P1130011.jpg then put it out of it's misery and we ate em that nite .
Taste like chicken .;)
Him trowing that snake on Nigel gets people hurt as one here had a habit of using fishing line to tie a 6'rubber black snake to my door handle at a morning eating place and of course when I would open the door it would fall at my feet .Now I knew it was fake but would make me jump every time. He didn't do it but 3 or 4 times and the snake rode with me after that in the back of my truck .When I am in their house so to speak I give them the right of way and just avoid them .They where there first .
This kind of makes you think of folks that don't understand drones and then they have one come around and freak out . They are ignorant and ignorant just being they don't understand and I think lots here don't understand that thus all the issues we read about .
Now look we done got off topic .
Back to the OP :)

From prop protection to snakes, that's quite a leap :).

As for the props, I would inspect them and as they dull wipe them down as directed in the OP.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
um great segue from props to snakes....... In the dive shop we use silicone spray ( NOT WD40 ) to feed plastic parts on dive regs. It helps prevent drying out of the plastic, a process you don't notice till too late. Similar to the baby wipes above though less for cleaning and more for replenishing the plastic.

The first part of your tip makes absolutely no sense at all. Why do you wait until after 10 flights before applying something that you say protects the props? I would think that you would want to protect them (if you really do need to protect them) when they are brand new wouldn't you?

Frankly I wouldn't bother. I've had a props on one of my Mavic Pros for nearly two full now, and I have no idea how many flights it's flown but the props are fine. No marks, no wear, no chips, no nothing wrong with them at all.

There is so much worthless hype out there telling drone owners to do this and do that when you don't have to do anything but check your props over after each flight. All that hype is designed to make you spend more money when you don't need to, and many of the "accessories" are worthless and unnecessary. There are entire industries that have cropped up since drones became popular that do absolutely nothing but scoop the cash right out of your pocket.

Bud

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj