Tie Dye Mountains Southern Utah

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm not sure what else to call this strange place of purple orange and white stripes, so I'll call it Tie Dye Mountains. (not the official name)

Shot last week in Southern Utah.

Enjoy

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Thanks so much tachmyjustin. Really enjoyed the video. Nice flying and gorgeous shots of the Tie-Dye Mountains (good as name as any and appropriate, LOL). I appreciate you taking the time to share with us.

I have not heard of the Tie Die mountains and Google isn't helping -- is that your name for the place? Also, is this near Cedar City or St. George?

Edit...

OK, you say this is near Capitol Reef so that would not be near Cedar City or St. George.

Brian

A little more digging around and my best guess is this is better known as the Bentonite Hills area along Hartnet Road off or UT-24 west of Caineville.

Brian

Last edited:
If this is where I think it is you need a 4WD high ground clearance vehicle as it is somewhat rough terrain and you have to ford a river so a passenger car is really risky. Getting stuck in such a place means forking over $1000+ to be pulled out.

Brian

The southern half of Utah has some of the very best natural landscapes anywhere in the world. And if you are lucky or persistent enough (as we were) to get a BLM permit to visit The Wave, it's a highlight for stills photography - alongside The Narrows (Zion NP) during the winter months. For those of you who are American, get in your car and drive there, or fly/drive. For any non-Americans, book your flight ASAP. The geological forces certainly blessed America - especially California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Wyoming.

The southern half of Utah has some of the very best natural landscapes anywhere in the world. And if you are lucky or persistent enough (as we were) to get a BLM permit to visit The Wave, it's a highlight for stills photography - alongside The Narrows (Zion NP) during the winter months. For those of you who are American, get in your car and drive there, or fly/drive. For any non-Americans, book your flight ASAP. The geological forces certainly blessed America - especially California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Wyoming.

I grew up in upstate NY and lived most my life there, but I took a year long RV tour of the western USA back in 2004 and discovered Utah. There are many places of wonder in the American west and you ticked off a good list, but Utah, southern Utah, is a wonderland. In places like Mexican Hat and the four corners region you can drive on mostly empty roads at you leisure and soak up the sights or you can hike to even grander places.

Mind you, I love the eastern Sierra in California, the Grand Canyon and Indian lands in Arizona Utah and Colorado, the mountains in Utah and Colorado, and many other places in that part of the world.

Brian

Brian (and all other Americans): You should be so proud of your country starting off the national parks concept which has since spread across the world.....and filtered down to what you call state parks, as well as private nature reserves, etc. This is the good and forward-looking part of human behaviour.

I appreciate - and agree with the ban - that drones cannot be flown in many of our very best natural landscapes. Factory Butte in Utah is one off-the-beaten-track gem that's very photogenic, especially around dawn and dusk. It's popular nearby, at the weekend, with quad bikes and similar. On each visit, we've been the only people there.
Google Maps

If my guess that the OP's video was of the Bentonite Hills then it would be fairly close to Factory Butte as both are near the town of Caineville Utah. The Bentonite Hills are about 8 miles NW of Caineville while Factory Butte is about 7 miles NE of Caineville -- as the crow flies. Figure 1.5X to 2X that by dirt road -- give or take.

Anther area that doesn't see as much attention as the major parks is the San Rafael Swell area that extends just north of the Factory Butte area up to and beyond I-70 towards Castle Dale and bordered in the east by US-6 and in the west by UT-10. Several places with petroglyphs to add to the wonderful landscape that includes the "The Wedge Overlook" into a baby Grand Canyon. These are great places to spend a week or more with camping permitted in many places -- there are no hookups as I recall so this is dry camping.

Brian

A little more digging around and my best guess is this is better known as the Bentonite Hills area along Hartnet Road off or UT-24 west of Caineville.

Brian
Yes that sounds like the area. I was unfamiliar with a proper name. Thanks!

Reactions: Raptorman0909
Yes that sounds like the area. I was unfamiliar with a proper name. Thanks!

Yeah, there's a lot of places that have a more-or-less formal name that many people are unaware of. I've not been on the Hartnet Road as my only vehicle is a Ford Focus and that's not really suitable for a road like that particularly given the need to ford the Fremont River. The Bentonite Hills in a place I want to visit one day so I'll have to see about acquiring a more capable off-road vehicle. That isn't to say I haven't taken my Focus off-road, in fact I have more than a thousand miles of off-road driving on it -- I just know there are some places my car can't go at all and others where it's possible but too risky. Many of these places are out of the way and if you have to call a tow truck the prices start about $1000 and go up from there...

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31