Thomson Dam spilling

Reaction score
South-eastern Australia has been having a bit more rainfall than usual. Most of our reservoirs are spilling, including the Thomson Dam (1,068,000 ML), the largest reservoir serving the Melbourne metropolitan area. The Thomson started spilling last week, and has garnered a bit of interest, as it's been 26 years (1996) since it last filled.
The public can't get down to the bottom of the spillway, and indeed, most of the spillway is hidden from view. This is where a drone comes in handy...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Very nice video of the spill way. Our big dam in Northern British Columbia is very scenic when it is open as well. It is a drone restricted area thou. I really enjoyed watching this one. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: tunadoctor
I like such videos. Very nice. Was the air flow very strong around the low part of the waterfall?

Very nice video of the spill way. Our big dam in Northern British Columbia is very scenic when it is open as well. It is a drone restricted area thou. I really enjoyed watching this one. Thanks for sharing.
Why for God's sake is the drone-restricted area around dams? What harm they can do? This is stupid because no other way to get such excellent photos.

Reactions: tunadoctor
Nice one Pygar.
Wasn't there a before and after shot of the Thomson floating around :) somewhere? Was it one of yours by chance?

Why for God's sake is the drone-restricted area around dams? What harm they can do? This is stupid because no other way to get such excellent photos.
The water company that manages Melbourne's reservoirs doesn't want people flying drones over the water - on the basis that a drone that ends up in the reservoir could compromise water quality. There's more than one cubic kilometre of water in the Thomson dam... I wonder just how many crashed drones it would take to have any measurable affect on water quality!

Reactions: Phantom Pirate
most big hydro projects in B C are restricted areas. Not sure why. Things got crazy after 911. It is one of our bigger hydro generating plants.

Terrorism. Only need to see what’s going on in Ukraine. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the world we live in.

You're right. But the drone should be carrying a nuclear head to harm the dam.
And those drons you have in mind won't be flying around the dam, it fires its charge from the distance. They most probably won't be seen at all.

You're right. But the drone should be carrying a nuclear head to harm the dam.
And those drons you have in mind won't be flying around the dam, it fires its charge from the distance. They most probably won't be seen at all.
I was told it is up to date reconnocence, if someone wanted to do hard by other means.

Awesome! Love the fog and flying up and down inside the overflow channel! Tight flying around all the trees, too! Well done!

Great flying and epic shots well done 👍

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic