This Guy is supposed to be Mr Drone Etiquette

Reaction score

This behavior gets you arrested in NJ. This was a nesting pair of Hawks, you cannot fly that close to them and provoke them like that. I like Jim but this was a big NO NO

We have two wedge tailed eagles with a nest on the western boundary of our property .They are a huge and majestic bird and I really enjoy watching their flying expertise in the thermals around our hills
I don't fly near the nest out of respect for the birds and the need to preserve my Phantom .They are very aggressive.
This guy is annoying and brainless .

This behavior gets you arrested in NJ. This was a nesting pair of Hawks, you cannot fly that close to them and provoke them like that. I like Jim but this was a big NO NO

I think that whatever state he lives in, the DNR should get a copy of this video.

I agree, that wasn't cool. If a prop were to hit that birds leg that would be a devastating injury. It would most likely lead to a very painful unnecessary death which would also lead to the death of the hatchlings. A whole generation of hawks would cease to exist. I'm a nature lover and I would never harass any of Gods creatures. I see birds I'm flying the other way. I would he mortified if I hurt a bird. Those hawks were simply protecting their nest and they shouldn't have to be put through unnecessary stress.

Reactions: Craig H and BigAl07
Listen I think if you fly you see birds, very rarely have I encountered a bird checking out the Drone, usually they keep clear but in this case those Hawks were ready to fight with their lives to protect nest. It's one thing to accidentally have an encounter but he repeatedly kept going back to them and CLOSE to provoke...major no no.

Reactions: nogo
Jim is the last person who should ever "talk etiquette" about anything. He's known for being rude and foul mouthed.

Unfortunately you can see his health is rapidly declining so it may not even be an issue before long.

No idea who he is but he/they are major [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]. A chance encounter and a quick thinking 360 or fix whilst backing out of there leaving the [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] alone would be a cool day's flying but that was just pure wanky behaviour. Someone needs to have them by the [EXPLETIVE REMOVED].

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a **** for flying that close to them how would he like a drone in the face. I would happily do that lol.

No idea who he is but he/they are major [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]. A chance encounter and a quick thinking 360 or fix whilst backing out of there leaving the [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] alone would be a cool day's flying but that was just pure wanky behaviour. Someone needs to have them by the [EXPLETIVE REMOVED].
Hawks like most raptors are federally protected. You think trouble with the FAA is a problem, wait until you get the wildlife people on your case! He is a prime case for some hefty federal fines for harassing the birds.

Jim Bower's video was very disturbing. He intentionally harassed those hawks. NOT SMART!

He's never made a claim to be anything like "Mr. Etiquette". He's flown near horses and caused them to run as well. I'm not condoning his flight... but it's not correct to say he's presented himself as something he never did.

You get all types. In the Mavic forum right now is a person who thought it was great to chase a cow and get it to run. He's then proceeded to be critical of others who pointed out that it should not be done. Others in the same thread have stood up for the behavior as well. These are people who have sought out these forums and are not new fliers.

Personally I think a better approach may be to educate others and be a good example rather then simply be chastise others. Does not mean you simply don't want to smack someone upside the head though.

On that note, Jim has done a TON to promote flying drones and doing good things with them. He's devoted a TON of time in helping others with drones.

He's never made a claim to be anything like "Mr. Etiquette". He's flown near horses and caused them to run as well. I'm not condoning his flight... but it's not correct to say he's presented himself as something he never did.

You get all types. In the Mavic forum right now is a person who thought it was great to chase a cow and get it to run. He's then proceeded to be critical of others who pointed out that it should not be done. Others in the same thread have stood up for the behavior as well. These are people who have sought out these forums and are not new fliers.

Personally I think a better approach may be to educate others and be a good example rather then simply be chastise others. Does not mean you simply don't want to smack someone upside the head though.

On that note, Jim has done a TON to promote flying drones and doing good things with them. He's devoted a TON of time in helping others with drones.
You did see the video where he talks about idiots with drones and his fear of what they might do? Sounds to me like he's preaching Etiquette.

Another Moron, hope is drone is totaled.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
Who didn't see that coming? There is clearly a nesting bird sitting right there. I figured it would be the one that was staring up at it. Surprised me when it ended up being the one that didn't seem to care. That was just pure reflex. To close, to fast, to bad about your quad. Lol Seriously though, that could have really hurt that goose (looked like geese to me, but I'm no expert). Prop strikes from a phantom ain't no joke and that's hitting a full grown man. I imagine it hurts just as bad to a goose/duck/whatever or worse. Prop hits a birds leg, its not gonna be good for the bird.

Looks like from video that the bird attacked the drone... You can see the bird flying to the drone and rapidly the video changed to another sequence.

Last edited:
We have two wedge tailed eagles with a nest on the western boundary of our property .They are a huge and majestic bird and I really enjoy watching their flying expertise in the thermals around our hills
I don't fly near the nest out of respect for the birds and the need to preserve my Phantom .They are very aggressive.
This guy is annoying and brainless .

This one reason why I quit flying drones one problem that people think that you are out to hurt birds or spy on them while flying drones people like this is what's causing the problem I have heard that two RC fields have shut down because people don't know how to respect other people's property I hope things are going to get better in Connecticut before I start flying again

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z