Thinking of selling my 4Pro

Reaction score
I may join the Mavic revolution. Just being a recreational guy I think I will like the portability of the Pro or the Air. Any thoughts of guidance about my process? I really enjoy reading this thread!

Reactions: Ccfdk9
I have several DJI drones, from a P3P, all in between to a Inspire 1. I really like the Mavic Pro Platinum, super quite, long flight time, good range. I tend to fly more due to living in a subdivision. Really a all around excellent drone. I highly recommended it for recreational flying!

Reactions: SurfingTech
Depends on what you're using it for. Realize that you WILL be downgrading in video quality, there are not discussions to be had about that. Both the MA and MP do well with the sensors they have, but the quality of the P4P is quite a bit better, especially when doing low-light settings. It is a struggle to set focus and ISO to prevent the photo from being grainy.

If you want a drone that is portability first just to get some footage, and the quality isn't paramount, then the Mavic series is for you. If you want quality-first, and can improvise by getting a backpack, then keep the Phantom 4. I ultimately settled for the Mavic Pro, because the Phantom 4 was just too tedious for what I wanted to do.

Reactions: SurfingTech
hNyMnqd.jpg

I recommend keeping your P4P and adding a Mavic to get your collection going :)

Reactions: Jbundy63
if you want a good drone that travels well then the Mavic cant be beat. Its camera is good but not great. I had 2 of them at one point because I won one in a contest. I still have one. They are so compact that you can take it just about anywhere. The video is as good as a gopro and it has all the intelligent flight modes that the phantom has. If all I wanted was decent quality video and stills but the advantage of flying anywhere because of how portable it is then I would definitely go with the mavic.

Reactions: Ccfdk9 and lolo780
I may join the Mavic revolution. Just being a recreational guy I think I will like the portability of the Pro or the Air. Any thoughts of guidance about my process? I really enjoy reading this thread!
Depends on how important the images are to you. Almost did the same thing. Waiting to see how good the Mavic Pro 2 will be. I just haven't found another drone to compare to the P4P unless you're going to spend a lot of money. Decided to keep mine and probably go and get the the mavic Pro 2 if it ever gets here. If you can financially do it. Keep both. I do understand about the portability and why Im going to get the mavic as well.

Reactions: Ccfdk9
Funny. Your arsenal looks exactly like mine:

Inspire 1, Gen 2
Mavic Pro
Phantom 4 Pro

In the "drone room" I have 3 highly-customized Phantom 1's I used to start my company. Good birds. I may have to fly them for the heck of it one of these daze.
Wow! I would love to see the Phantom 1's more than anything else. Just love their design and shape, somehow.

I have both a P4P and a Mavic Air. I keep the P4P when the high camera specifications are called for. On the other hand, I do most of my flying with the Mavic Air. It's portable, it has a very low profile when flying so most don't even know its in the air, and it produces stills and video that are acceptable for most applications. Often, I will pre-flight a video capture session with the Mavic Air to test various "takes" for best altitude or flight mode first. It's my "have fun and fly often" drone. Then I will fly my P4P to get the best possible footage with the improved camera.

I have both a P4P and a Mavic Air. I keep the P4P when the high camera specifications are called for. On the other hand, I do most of my flying with the Mavic Air. It's portable, it has a very low profile when flying so most don't even know its in the air, and it produces stills and video that are acceptable for most applications. Often, I will pre-flight a video capture session with the Mavic Air to test various "takes" for best altitude or flight mode first. It's my "have fun and fly often" drone. Then I will fly my P4P to get the best possible footage with the improved camera.
That's a great strategy, if you never fly beyond VLOS! ;) However, the P4P control range runs circles around the Mavic, if you ever need to cover a subject from a great distance in a remote area, where bending the VLOS guidelines/rules won't harm anyone.:cool: Otherwise, save some money, and pick up a brand new P4A which has the P4P camera from B&H on the daily Deal Zone for $829, like they had 4 weeks ago. It's solid out to 6500 feet on the 2.4Ghz band only.

That's a great strategy, if you never fly beyond VLOS! ;) However, the P4P control range runs circles around the Mavic, if you ever need to cover a subject from a great distance in a remote area, where bending the VLOS guidelines/rules won't harm anyone.:cool: Otherwise, save some money, and pick up a brand new P4A which has the P4P camera from B&H on the daily Deal Zone for $829, like they had 4 weeks ago. It's solid out to 6500 feet on the 2.4Ghz band only.

I always found the Mavics better than Phantoms for signal, even without using boost mode. P4P on 5.8 worked the best of the Phantoms, and then the P4A or P4P on 2.4.

I always found the Mavics better than Phantoms for signal, even without using boost mode. P4P on 5.8 worked the best of the Phantoms, and then the P4A or P4P on 2.4.
YMMV, especially under EU, but the 5+ mile stock range of the P4P on Auto 5.8Ghz with clear LOS will outperform the Mavic every time under FCC. Mavic consistently craps out at about 3 miles. I mostly agree your second statement. However, on 2.4Ghz, the P4P and P4A are still also no better than a P4 (complete loss of signal at 6,500 feet), while the original P3P was as good as the Mavic out to 3 miles. So, in order under FCC, P4P on Auto 5.8, then original P3P and Mavic about equal, and then in no particular order P4P on 2.4 and P4A and P4 and late model P3P's with the same crappy GL300C controller. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: lolo780
The camera on the P4P is so far sperior to my Mavic Pro Platinum, that I rarely choose to fly the Mavic, even though it's an awesome craft in it's own right.

The camera on the P4P is so far sperior to my Mavic Pro Platinum, that I rarely choose to fly the Mavic, even though it's an awesome craft in it's own right.
Agreed, it's a real camera vs a cell phone cam. Cell phones take decent pictures in bright light though.

Agreed, it's a real camera vs a cell phone cam. Cell phones take decent pictures in bright light though.
The P4P video shines at dusk during the golden hour! No need for ND filters for proper cinematic shutter speeds, and you get great video in almost complete darkness to the naked eye! :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20