The U.S. Government Is Serious About Illegal Drone Activity

"SkyPan applied on Dec. 22, 2014, for an FAA exemption to fly drones, which the FAA approved April 17."
Is that exemption possible only via commercial license,
not via $5 amateur license?
The exemption referred to was a commercial drone licence under the FAA's old Section 333 rule.
The FAA granted the first Section 333 Exemption on September 25, 2014.
Prior to that it was not possible to legally fly a drone in the USA.
**correction** Prior to that it was not possible to legally fly a drone commercially in the USA.

What you are asking about is called a waiver and it is only for pilots flying under the Part 107 regulations (licensed commercial flyers)
Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace

ps the $5 amateur license is not a license at all.
It's registration.

Reactions: flockshot
The exemption referred to was a commercial drone licence under the FAA's old Section 333 rule.
The FAA granted the first Section 333 Exemption on September 25, 2014.
Prior to that it was not possible to legally fly a drone in the USA.

What you are asking about is called a waiver and it is only for pilots flying under the Part 107 regulations (licensed commercial flyers)
Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace

ps the $5 amateur license is not a license at all.
It's registration.

Meta, referencing your last sentence of the second paragraph...

You mean flying a drone commercially?

Cause I’ve been flying UASs since the 70s when I flew my first RC aircraft and it was being done a decade or two before that.
It may be more accurate to state when commercial flights became regulated.

Meta, referencing your last sentence of the second paragraph...

You mean flying a drone commercially?
oops .... yes, the word was in my mind but didn't make it to the keyboard. ... thanks.
Prior to that it was not possible to legally fly a drone commercially in the USA.

oops .... yes, the word was in my mind but didn't make it to the keyboard. ... thanks.
Prior to that it was not possible to legally fly a drone commercially in the USA.

Technically I still have a problem cause until it was regulated it was not illegal.

And that's the hole that Skypan fell into.

OK, not that familiar with the particulars of the case.

Just seemed logical to me to say after a certain date it became illegal without licensing, etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl