The right time to replace your LiPo batteries

Reaction score
I personally own a Phantom v1.1.1 and I have 5 stock batteries for it (2200mAh). I've noticed that some of the batteries that I've used more deliver shorter flight times which is logical :)

What are the noticeable signs besides battery swelling that it should be replaced? I surely wouldnt want to crash my Phantom due to a battery that is in the end of its life-cycle.

Few questions
-Does all batteries swell up in the end of their life-cycle or can battery be worn out but not swelled up.
-Signs of battery that its closing to its end of the life-cycle
-What happens if you have battery that is not swelled up but you keep on flying with it and its dying out (will it only have a short flight time or is there a possibility of a battery failure causing the Phantom to drop out from the sky).

I've been struggling to get a good understanding on this issue.

Few questions
-Does all batteries swell up in the end of their life-cycle or can battery be worn out but not swelled up.
Batteries that are near end of life do not always swell
Red LEDs showing sooner than usual- and maybe warm/hot.
-What happens if you have battery that is not swelled up but you keep on flying with it and its dying out (will it only have a short flight time or is there a possibility of a battery failure causing the Phantom to drop out from the sky).
If you land when the red LEDs show, or the 2nd stage of the low voltage setting in Naza is hit, quad SHOULD land automatically rather than fall out of the sky

I've been looking into the Turnigy 7 in 1 Lipo tester. That, apparently, will give a guide on the internal resistance of each cell.
I am learning that this factor is the main issue with battery condition.

I am not that convinced that the Phantom will land when it reaches the second warning. On the odd occasion when I have got to the second warning the Phantom sinks really fast and lands quite hard. It has only happened when I have flown the craft back and it is thankfully quite low anyway. But if higher up cannot see it landing well!

I too am curious over signs of battery aging. My oldest battery is not swelling but goes to red pulses in less than 4 mins of flight, rather than at least 5-6 mins. On the other hand my second oldest and non DJI battery gave consistant flights but has started to swell a little. Both I am retiring and I am investing in a better charger as the stock DJI charger has I have found out been over-charging the batteries! And having a option like storage mode sounds a good idea.

discv said:
I've been struggling to get a good understanding on this issue.

Few questions
Batteries that are near end of life do not always swell
Red LEDs showing sooner than usual- and maybe warm/hot.
If you land when the red LEDs show, or the 2nd stage of the low voltage setting in Naza is hit, quad SHOULD land automatically rather than fall out of the sky

I've been looking into the Turnigy 7 in 1 Lipo tester. That, apparently, will give a guide on the internal resistance of each cell.
I am learning that this factor is the main issue with battery condition.

One thing that bothers me alot is the question about is a battery failure possible due to its age/use. And if its possible, how short will the flight times be when the chance of battery failure is increased. As I've seen videos of drone falling out of the sky due to a battery failure. So does the chance of battery failure increase when the battery gets older/more used or does it exist always and by buying high quality batteries you can avoid this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.