The perfect compass, IMU calibration...

Just sharing a recent experience: stock P3S, 1.8.10 firmware, DJI GO 3.1.3 on Android (Samsung Tab A 2016 7"). Did a flight last night down in a nearby canyon, passing right below some massive power lines that run across it. Went quite far (3500ft, personal record) so the P3S was just a small dot against a green background, but from the video feed, it was clearly turning right (yaw) on its own. I kept it straight with some left-stick input, but it was definitely weird. I believe it was caused by the power lines, as I've never seen that behavior before. Well, during the whole flight, I don't think I've received a single warning about interferences (got a couple about poor signal, but that's totally expected).
I've seen that interference message before, occasionally, for example when powering up the AC & RC inside the house, but rarely when flying (it's not a scientific analysis, but if I don't remember it being an annoyance I guess it didn't pop up more than a couple times).
So either Daz's theory about this being an iOS issue is correct (it could very well be, maybe the AC just sends back an "interference level" and the actual warning thresholds are in the app, so DJI GO / Litchi / Android / iOS could behave differently), or some units are more sensitive than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dazzauk
Just sharing a recent experience: stock P3S, 1.8.10 firmware, DJI GO 3.1.3 on Android (Samsung Tab A 2016 7"). Did a flight last night down in a nearby canyon, passing right below some massive power lines that run across it. Went quite far (3500ft, personal record) so the P3S was just a small dot against a green background, but from the video feed, it was clearly turning right (yaw) on its own. I kept it straight with some left-stick input, but it was definitely weird. I believe it was caused by the power lines, as I've never seen that behavior before. Well, during the whole flight, I don't think I've received a single warning about interferences (got a couple about poor signal, but that's totally expected),
I've seen that interference message before, occasionally, for example when powering up the AC & RC inside the house, but rarely when flying (it's not a scientific analysis, but if I don't remember it being an annoyance I guess it didn't pop up more than a couple times).
So either Daz's theory about this being an iOS issue is correct (it could very well be, maybe the AC just sends back an "interference level" and the actual warning thresholds are in the app, so DJI GO / Litchi / Android / iOS could behave differently), or some units are more sensitive than others.

Thanks for the reply buddy, most helpful, and certainly does add even more weight to my theory's.

One question I haven't asked also is are people experiencing this annoyance with litchi?

"120CCPM" ... flying in a canyon can often experience 'funneled' winds that you have no feel for where you are.

Funny enough today I was videoing a couple of Yacht Marina areas in Latvia as I'm HLR for the Cruising Association ... during the filming I had 'canyon effect' in one area where buildings funneled the wind. The wind generally though was just a 'breeze' but that funneled wind was drifting the P3S to the side needing my stick to assist.

I don't say the power lines didn't affect the P3S ... but just suggest that maybe you had 'canyon effect'.

Ever walked down a street with solid tall buildings either side ? Even though forecast winds that day are slight - you feel a decent wind !!

Nigel

... flying in a canyon can often experience 'funneled' winds that you have no feel for where you are.
Totally possible, although I would expect winds to push the AC from side to side, not to affect yaw. Yesterday, it was really behaving like the yaw trim was off (not that the P3S has trims, but you know what I mean). It was very weird... I fly other RC models, so I made the necessary corrections in flight without giving it much thought... it was only after I landed that I questioned why the P3S was acting that way...

Last edited:
"120CCPM" ..... I also fly many other RC models and like you automatically react to yaw / slip .... so its an item that I cannot answer exactly ...
Maybe our ability to 'feel' and react hides what it is going on ?

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20