The Mavic flies further and with stronger signal that P4P?? REALLY?

I've seen the P4p
I think you mean flying with the signal going through trees, where you don't have direct LOS connection. In that scenario I think Ocu-sync has better penetration through trees. I use my Mavic in those conditions where penetration through plants is needed. But with clear LOS connection with P4P on 5.8Ghz, the P4P excels with range and it can go farther due to more battery endurance.

And it also cruises faster than the Mavic Pro to go along with that longer-lasting battery.

Let me see if I got this. I fly over trees, not through. The signal goes through the trees not over. Flying through trees bad..:):D

So you get better range with 5.8, verses 2.4? Are you near a city John. When I was talking to Titan about their amps, they told me that 2.4 had better range in non congested areas.

Last edited:
If you search YouTube for Phantom Parameter Modifications, I've seen videos that discuss putting CE radios in FCC mode. However I think you need craft firmware 1.3.509 or earlier to do that. There are other videos discussing how to back rev the firmware to 1.3.509.

Last edited:
You didn't say if you have tried flying 5.8ghz AUTO with Windsurfer. The Windsurfer device can shield the interference coming from behind you, reducing it dramatically. Have you gone into the hills away from civilization to see what kind of range you can get?

Let me see if I got this. I fly over trees, not through. The signal goes through the trees not over. Flying through trees bad..:):D

So you get better range with 5.8, verses 2.4? Are you near a city John. When I was talking to Titan about their amps, they told me that 2.4 had better range in non congested areas.

If you expect the signal to go through trees and fly long range, you're expecting too much. Trees and leaves have water inside that does a really good job of absorbing and blocking RF signal, which hinders range. You will always get inconsistent results if you have trees between you and the craft. Flying over trees is no problem, flying with your signal having to penetrate trees is a problem.

I live in Orange County, lots of homes here, but that's not where I fly. I generally fly in the hills or mountains, and I fly on 5.8Ghz band because it works better. Higher frequencies can transmit data faster, which I believe helps range, but I also believe there is much less interference in the outdoors from 5.8Ghz because they cannot penetrate walls as good, hence signals don't escape homes and businesses as much.

I believe Titan antennas only operate on 2.4Ghz, as the built in amp has to be either 2.4 or 5.8Ghz. So they promote using 2.4Ghz. If it's amplified I'm sure the Titan setup works good on 2.4ghz, but IMO the P4P has plenty of range in stock form, using 5.8 with a windsurfer, over 4mi range, even over cities, which I don't frequent. The trick is to have CLEAR LOS connection, with nothing between you and the craft. Flying from top of a hill helps.

Last edited:
John,

I am starting to feel like a salesman for Titan. They do make a 5.8, but it cost a lot more then the 2.4. Also, being able to fly from inside your vehicle is a big plus for us that live in cold climates.I think most people realize the more objects between the drone and the controller, the worst the signal. That is why winter has a plus side, fewer leaves. Also, a lot on down sides. The P4P does have good range, but the amp really helps in wooded conditions. It is very hard where I fly to be higher than the trees. Those trees have a habit of being in my way. Some where a long the line, I came under the impression that 2.4 was better in remote areas. It will be interesting to see what others think, although we may be getting off topic. I came here to learn. It is starting to sound like 5.8 is the way to go. Then that would be the best for both conditions. I really hope your right.

John,

I am starting to feel like a salesman for Titan. They do make a 5.8, but it cost a lot more then the 2.4. Also, being able to fly from inside your vehicle is a big plus for us that live in cold climates.I think most people realize the more objects between the drone and the controller, the worst the signal. That is why winter has a plus side, fewer leaves. Also, a lot on down sides. The P4P does have good range, but the amp really helps in wooded conditions. It is very hard where I fly to be higher than the trees. Those trees have a habit of being in my way. Some where a long the line, I came under the impression that 2.4 was better in remote areas. It will be interesting to see what others think, although we may be getting off topic. I came here to learn. It is starting to sound like 5.8 is the way to go. Then that would be the best for both conditions. I really hope your right.
Theoretically 2.4Ghz does penetrate plants better, and with an amp within the Titan product, that's a good plan. However without an amp, DJI's implementation of 2.4ghz isn't as effective as 5.8Ghz with clear LOS. I have my theories why, but have no definitive facts as to why their 5.8Ghz implementation works better with clear LOS, but it does. If one had to pick for your use case, 2.4Ghz with an amp, like Titan offers, is likely the better choice. If they have a 5.8Ghz version, it would be an interesting comparison versus 2.4Ghz for your use case.

My bird prior was a Mavic Pro Platty. It was quieter as advertised, but w OEM controllers for both I saw no advantage in this units performance (technologically speaking). I liked the portability a lot, it could go on my motorcycle ventures which was nice.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119