The FAA Took My Money

Arithmetic Check time
FAA announces today that almost 4000000 have registered. Almost 400,000 drones are registered with the FAA
But They had 300000 registered back in January at the end or the free period. FAA Says Nearly 300,000 Drone Owners Have Registered in First 30 Days
That leaves~100000 paying $5 for three year's registration ... so about 1/2 million for 3 years.
That's somewhat short of tens if not hundreds of millions?

If that's the biggest imposition on your freedom this year, you're not doing too badly.

Oooooo-k....since you tried to make it look like I can't add.... I didn't actually know how many drones are registered. I was basing my statement on the fact that all we had heard just prior to Christmas is that "Millions of these things are going to be sold this Christmas season." If I had actually known the actual numbers which you just posted, I'm absolutely SURE that my statement would have read "Why the hell does the FAA need a half a million dollars worth of taxpayers money for the simple reason that we own something?" I frankly don't give a **** if they've collected a billion, a hundred million or half a million. Taking someones money, even just five dollars, for NO good reason except that they can, IS WRONG. Period. And Bro, I so wish that losing $5 to Uncle Sam was the biggest loss of freedom that I have right now. So, heck, maybe you're right. Well, only partly. Everyone knows the old saying "Give someone an inch and they'll take a mile." Right now it's five bucks. Big friggin deal. But what happens 5 years down the road when they say "Well, for the sake of public safety we need to raise the registration fee to $100." What then? How bout 500?? Man, anyone can look around them and see that NOTHING the government does is in our best interests, only theirs. So YES, we should be pissed for having to pay them $5. And Bud, PLEASE don't take offense to this, read closely how I phrase this,,,,but maybe you should feel just as stupid as I do for paying it instead of telling them to kiss our asses.

Right now it's five bucks. Big friggin deal. But what happens 5 years down the road when they say "Well, for the sake of public safety we need to raise the registration fee to $100." What then? How bout 500??
You could also say that it's $5 (for 3 yrs) now ..... but one day it might be ....
One-Million-Dollars-639omk.jpg

Man, anyone can look around them and see that NOTHING the government does is in our best interests, only theirs.
Yes ... who needs things like roads, education, water and sanitation?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Wrap your head around this
Nebraska contractor registration fee $ 40.00
Lead renovators certificate [ for lead education for working on houses pre 1978 ] 2 day classes $ 250.00
Lead renovators license [ for legally working on houses pre 1978 ] $ 300.00

Most cities and towns require you to be a registered contractor to work within city limits $ 150.00

Total $ 740.00
Legally required in order to practice as a contractor in Nebraska

So 5 bucks for a UAV registration number
The way I see it it was all good until the industry created and sold uav s to department stores as toys
as my father always said Then things went the way of the coo coo.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Gentlemen, please don't get me wrong, you make intelligent arguments and I understand where you're coming from. Is all I'm saying is, amid all these discussions here and in other posts, I have yet to really see where people are answering with good, valid reasons why our drones need to be registered to begin with, much less how anyone is going to be any safer because of it.

You could also say that it's $5 (for 3 yrs) now ..... but one day it might be ....
One-Million-Dollars-639omk.jpg

Yes ... who needs things like roads, education, water and sanitation?

Lol...good point. We do need roads. We keep paying for good ones, but we have an infrastructure which is about to crumble. We definitely need good education. We pay a TON for that, yet the modern generation can't tell you who our nation's capitol is named after. Mmmm....the water. Mine stinks like nasty sewer infested river water. But I guess I'm lucky, Flint Michigan has lead in theirs. Mmmm, yeah, love that government involvement!

Gentlemen, please don't get me wrong, you make intelligent arguments and I understand where you're coming from. Is all I'm saying is, amid all these discussions here and in other posts, I have yet to really see where people are answering with good, valid reasons why our drones need to be registered to begin with, much less how anyone is going to be any safer because of it.
btw ... I completely agree with you that the FAA's toy drone registration scheme was half-baked, ill-advised and will achieve very little.

True that registering drones in itself does not make people safe. If (when?) there is a major drone incident, the registration will help identify the culprit. More than likely, that person will be not registered, creating a genuine atmosphere of legitimacy for those of us us do register (and generally fly safely).

Registered 12/25, received credit on 1/9/16 so 2 weeks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

To me it's it's worth the $5.00 when someone threatens to shoot my drone down and I tell them, "OK, I'll make a note of that in case that does happen because the drone is a FAA Federally Registered Device, and they would be very interested in knowing who might have a motive to shoot one down"
People threatening to shoot your drone down is a common problem with you?

See, that's the problem here. All these people saying "It's just $5. Are you that cheap?!" Yeah, it is just $5, that I can very easily afford. But it's the fact that it's JUST $5, from MILLIONS of people. You're talking to the tune of tens, if not hundreds of millions of the people's money,,,,for WHAT, exactly? The simple fact that since I own something I should have to pay the government money? I mean, it's not for public safety, because if it was they would have asked for Brand, Model, Serial number, every little detail they could POSSIBLY use to tag you to that drone if you caused trouble. No, they ask for your personal information, take your $5 and assign you some silly number. Wake up people, it's not about a measly $5, it's about FREEDOM.

I know, I feel so chained and tethered since I registered. Some day I hope to break these bonds of repression and move free among the unregistered and reimbursed,

From someone who hasn't read the registration process through except to register myself, does anyone who flies my drone need their own FAA registration?

No.

They need a copy of your registration 'on them' if your not with them.

In this particular place in time it (registration) is about making you aware of the FAA guidelines and personal accountability since the number is tied to the registrant.

Since this whole registration thing came about, I have given a lot of thought to the point that they could use registered drones to identify someone who caused an accident. In my opinion I don't think it really could. Here's why. Now, I definitely am not a pilot, but I did work on a U.S. Navy flight deck for three years. Our biggest concern was what we called "FOD,: meaning "Foreign Object Damage." The most frightening thing on our minds was something getting into an engine. Done deal. I think of three different scenarios when it comes to a drone causing an incident. 1,,,A drone gets too close and there's a "Close call." There's no way in hell the pilot of the encroached plane is going to be able to identify that drone. 2) There is a collision with a plane....windshield, wing, etc. Think about it....2 pound drone hits full size plane going hundreds of MPH. There will likely be damage to the plane, but the drone would disintegrate, no possible way anyone would be able to identify anything, IF they could even ever find anything. And the worst, most scary nightmare scenario,,,3) Drone gets sucked into a 747 engine. There is a chance that plane will crash, but it might not. But as for the drone, I doubt any pieces would come out the rear end of a turbine any bigger than 1/8-1/4 inch, if not powder.

Look guys, I'm not one of those who is automatically opposed to every rule, law, or safety measure. I've been a fire fighter and EMT, I was in the military, I did flight deck operations,,,,,safety? I get it, trust me. And again, trust me, I fly safely and withing FAA regs.I just think that when rules and regs are made they should be made through a process of deep thought and informed decisions. I hate to say it, but I have seen youtube videos of FAA officials being grilled by congress about the whole drone issue and frankly, in regard to UAV's, they had no idea what they were even talking about. "We don't know; We'll have to get you that information after we do more research; and We won't know until we have further investigated this" were several of the often used phrases.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl