The agony of choice.

Reaction score
What to do... what is wisdom?

Should I buy a Phantom V1.1.1 or a FC40? I can buy the regular Phantom now for €419 including two extra Hacker 2400mAh batteries (separately €22 each) or the FC40 when it becomes available early February for €489 plus €44 for two extra batteries which would make €533. For the extra 114 euros I would seem to get a lot of extra features. A live birds eye view is very compelling.

Although the camera is limited in its capabilities you do basically get a complete FPV system provided you have a mobile device to receive the signal, which I do. My Nexus 7 would be ideal for this. I'd have to spend a considerably greater amount of extra money to achieve the same capability on a regular Phantom.

However...

Is 5.8GHz for control as the FC40 and P2V have really 'safer' than 2.4GHz? After all the higher frequency has less 'reach' and is degraded more by obstructing objects. Is what you gain in less interference from other sources which should prevent loss of control more than what you lose in risk of loss of control resulting from the signal degradation by distance and blocking objects?

The specs of the 2.4 GHz vs. the 5.8 GHz transmitter are given by DJI in the manuals as follows:

2.4 GHz Tx: "Communication Distance: 1000m"
5.8 GHz Tx: "Communication Distance (open area): CE 300m; FCC 500m"

Note the addition of "open area" and the different settings for Europe and America. As I live in Europe legally I should use the 300m setting. Now that's with an unobstructed line of sight.

Which is better? 1000m range in a busier frequency band or 300m in a less busy frequency band? I gather P2V users are experiencing flyaway problems. Is that in spite of the 5.8 GHz control frequency or because of it?

The V1.1.1 has a gimbal lever on the rear of the Tx and is fairly 'gimbal ready'. If I want to add a gimbal it will be easy to do so. If I want to upgrade a FC40 with a gimbal, let's say for starters with the FC40 camera, will I be able to do so? The FC40 Tx does not have a gimbal lever. Can the lever upgrade for older Tx which did not have one be used on the FC40 Tx too?

Other concerns?

I'd appreciate your input.

If you already now considering a gimbal a FC40 would be not the right choice.

After a few shoots with the FC40, you will be jealous on those with the smooth gimbal shots.

I wouldn't very soon I expect. Take my time first to thoroughly acquaint myself with the bird. It's a water-rich area here so I want to make certain first I can fly it reliably in my region without it disappearing in a watery grave. But in time I might want to upgrade the thing.

Do any cameras comparable to the wireless FC40 exist but with 5.8GHz WiFi that could be used on a regular 2.4 GHz Phantom? The problem with that would be that most current mobile phones are not 5.8 GHz capable so you'd probably need an extra small wireless 5.8 GHz screen to go with such a camera.

If DJI would offer them there could be a fair amount of demand for them I imagine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav