terrible video quality with phantom 4

Seriously guys. I started shooting the whole log thing and to be honest, the dynamic range recovery on rec709 is really all you need on these drones. The Dlog in my opinion is overkill for such a camera. I shoot Sony f55 and fs7 in Slog. They are made for it. P4 cameras are just basic cameras. I am concerned how many people are trying to convince themselves they can get better. If you work as a pro videographer, hire a helicopter and take a real camera up to get shots. I work in the industry and use my p4 as an after work toy stress reliever. Soz, but you are greatly mistaken if you purchased your p4 in hopes of producing epic 4K cinematic glory........it won't come from your p4.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Seriously guys. I started shooting the whole log thing and to be honest, the dynamic range recovery on rec709 is really all you need on these drones. The Dlog in my opinion is overkill for such a camera. I shoot Sony f55 and fs7 in Slog. They are made for it. P4 cameras are just basic cameras. I am concerned how many people are trying to convince themselves they can get better. If you work as a pro videographer, hire a helicopter and take a real camera up to get shots. I work in the industry and use my p4 as an after work toy stress reliever. Soz, but you are greatly mistaken if you purchased your p4 in hopes of producing epic 4K cinematic glory........it won't come from your p4.

Totally agree with you on the D-log settings man. I have used no color setting on mine and been very happy with results. See no diff in D-log vs none. But I think do think what the P4 can do is pretty dang awesome for 1500 bucks! Compared to 1000's to rent heli and a Red rig though. Lmao.

Reactions: RemusE
Totally agree with you on the D-log settings man. I have used no color setting on mine and been very happy with results. See no diff in D-log vs none. But I think do think what the P4 can do is pretty dang awesome for 1500 bucks! Compared to 1000's to rent heli and a Red rig though. Lmao.

That's why I say, if you are a working professional, you should just rent a heli like the old days before drones and charge it out to your client. My message is only directed to working videographers who are under the belief that their p4 is going to be in the top shelf ranks of a working broadcast/cinema camera. In the flip side, the p4 is a superb flyer and to be honest would be a game changer if dji made the camera a lot better. Until that day comes it is still a toy for me.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
That's why I say, if you are a working professional, you should just rent a heli like the old days before drones and charge it out to your client. My message is only directed to working videographers who are under the belief that their p4 is going to be in the top shelf ranks of a working broadcast/cinema camera. In the flip side, the p4 is a superb flyer and to be honest would be a game changer if dji made the camera a lot better. Until that day comes it is still a toy for me.

...certainly agree with you....
since the latest firmware upgrades it's incredibly stable to fly. That's what's so frustrating. ..you end up with this beautiful flying craft that produces unpredictable footage.

I found out as well that 4K didn't work. But shooting in 2K, DLog with -2, -2 and -2 works better so this is my settings today.
For some days ago I made a test with 4K and 2K and for my taste 2K was looking better that 4K.

Agree with the D-log, its overkill.

But you CAN get cinematic visuals with these - just have to be careful what your asking for with dynamic range. I just made a post on this :)

Colour Grading with the DJI Phantom 4

Agree with the D-log, its overkill.

But you CAN get cinematic visuals with these - just have to be careful what your asking for with dynamic range. I just made a post on this :)

Colour Grading with the DJI Phantom 4

I agree, you can produce a cinematic result. Thats what the creative gene in all of us allows. What I don't see and hopefully haven't been misunderstood, is that the quality is not there. P4 cameras DO NOT PRODUCE HIGH QUALITY VISUALS.

The camera is a basic camera with a sensor capable of 4K. You won't like this, but I put it in the realm of a high end Dash Cam or Logitech webcam. I could post a screen grab from a broadcast 4K camera and the quality is breathtaking. The P4 is good for capturing content on your family holidays, exploring new locations and seeing things from a different vantage point. Could the footage be used by Nat Geo? I say yes, if its footage of a rare mating ritual, whale birth or tsunami. Would you shoot a doco and expect Nat Geo to accept P4 quality for a 12 part doco on Serengeti Lions....I think not.

Like I mentioned previously, I like the P4, its flying performance is quite outstanding. The pictures it produces are great in proportional to their usage. If I was going to use a drone for a pro job, I would be using a heli or outsourcing the job to a quadcopter pilot with payload capacity for RED, Sony and Arri bodies and glass.

Last edited:
I agree, you can produce a cinematic result. Thats what the creative gene in all of us allows. What I don't see and hopefully haven't been misunderstood, is that the quality is not there. P4 cameras DO NOT PRODUCE HIGH QUALITY VISUALS.

The camera is a basic camera with a sensor capable of 4K. You won't like this, but I put it in the realm of a high end Dash Cam or Logitech webcam. Its good for capturing content on your family holidays, exploring new locations and seeing things from a different vantage point. Could the footage be used by Nat Geo? I say yes, if its footage of a rare mating ritual, whale birth or tsunami. Would you shoot a doco and expect Nat Geo to accept P4 quality for a 12 part doco on Serengeti Lions....I think not.

Like I mentioned previously, I like the P4, its flying performance is quite outstanding. The pictures it produces are great in proportional to their usage. If I was going to use a drone for a pro job, I would be using a heli or outsourcing the job to a quadcopter pilot with payload capacity for RED, Sony and Arri bodies and glass.

Yep, if the budget allows - go for a pro setup. But theres no way you can compare a P4 to an Arri. A lens alone costs 20 times as much as a P4! - its not the same class.

We are saying the same thing, I just think that for a Price/Quality comparison - the P4 is very good. With some careful post-production, you can mimic a high production value.

Yep, if the budget allows - go for a pro setup. But theres no way you can compare a P4 to an Arri. A lens alone costs 20 times as much as a P4! - its not the same class.

We are saying the same thing, I just think that for a Price/Quality comparison - the P4 is very good. With some careful post-production, you can mimic a high production value.

Yes, agreed.

The big thing I notice a lot with P4 footage and the allure of the P4 for the consumer is that the standard size youtube videos, played on phones, tablets or just small size look **** good, they alone sell the P4. I look more so at the full screen image, the larger than life version. I suppose its just being exposed to high end gear unfortunately has given me a taste for quality. Cheers for the reply Moss :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj