Tech knowledge needed for hand launch and catching

Reaction score
Been flying from a small boat and needed to hand launch and catch. Catch no prob but launching a bit iffy. Can someone tell me what it is that makes the phantom think it has taken off and start supporting itself? Likewise when caught how does it realise it's landed and stop struggling to fly and allow shut down with left stick down?

That's got to be fun to watch.
The GPS is trying to keep the bird stationary. Difficult to do in a boat.

Do the same launch and catch while on land. Start the motors then walk a couple feet. See what your bird thinks of that. You will experience the same battle when catching.

After catching, if you release, it should go back to where you caught it. It's fun to do. I've done it.

Reactions: Ross
With regards to your last question...

There's a barometer altimeter that indicates if the quad is rising, falling, or stationary (landed/caught). The FC allows the shutdown to occur when there's no change in the barometric readings.

Reactions: Ross and IflyinWY
With regards to your last question...

There's a barometer altimeter that indicates if the quad is rising, falling, or stationary (landed/caught). The FC allows the shutdown to occur when there's no change in the barometric readings.

I've seen folks ask "Why do we have CSC?". I guess landing on a boat or other moving vehicle is a good reason to have CSC for shutdown.

Reactions: Ross
... when caught how does it realise it's landed and stop struggling to fly and allow shut down with left stick down?
When it's descending, it's watching the barometric altimeter for changes that tell it it's still descending. When the altimeter has stopped changing for a couple of seconds (despite the fact that it's continuing to reduce motor speed and keep the system level) it realizes it can't descend any further and will allow you to stop the motors.
As stated above, if you in GPS mode and you are moving, it will think it's being blown by wind and will try to compensate and fly back to where it was.
You may have better luck switching to ATTI mode after you get a hand on the landing gear.

As for hand launching... ??? I've never tried. I would try launching from a flat surface and kick the throttle up fast.
I've seen videos where an assistant hand launches. The pilot throttles up and the assistant lets go when they feel it pulling upward.
As above though, you may want to launch in atti mode to prevent it from trying to hold position.

Last edited:
Just a few years back I used MEMS gyros on CP-helis (yaw axis only). When powering up it was importrant to not disturb the heli during warm up and gyro initialization.

Possible magnetic disturbances from the boat aside, the Naza employs similar sensors so could it be problematic to try and start a P2 in a moving environment?
(pitching and rolling as boats do)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's another one, HypervisionAustralia has a bunch of well done videos which are very informative.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've seen folks ask "Why do we have CSC?". I guess landing on a boat or other moving vehicle is a good reason to have CSC for shutdown.
Trouble is I'm doing this single handed. So have left hand for the controller and right to launch/catch so csc isn't an option!

Catching is ok. I just hold tight till it does stop, but letting go on launch is a leap of faith above water!

Trouble is I'm doing this single handed. So have left hand for the controller and right to launch/catch so csc isn't an option!

Catching is ok. I just hold tight till it does stop, but letting go on launch is a leap of faith above water!
I need a friend in a bikini!

I need a friend in a bikini!

I know the feeling... :) If I had one of those, you would be on your own right now.

How about a picture of your boat, so I have some idea what I'm working with here.

I'm thinking a small deck/platform attached to a pole which can be inserted into a pole holder. Make sure the Phantom can't lift it out of the holder. They are strong when they are **** determined.
Hang a rope, or bungee cord from the belly of the phantom. Figure out a quick release method to secure the bird to the platform.

clasps.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic