Brand New P2V+ flewaway & crashed!! ADVICE NEEDED, PLEASE

Re: Brand New P2V+ flewaway & crashed!! ADVICE NEEDED, PLEAS

It was sold by the dealer on Amazon, it wasn't sold "by Amazon".... I guess it's in DJI's hands now. If I don't get a good resolution from them, I'll have them send it back to me and I will contact Amazon.

Amazon will take back anything listed on they're site

I have used they're return system before here is how
Go to your account->order history and click on the item(eg your phantom) and click return

In the box it gives and option list pick defective and say it went out of control and crashed

Where it has refund or replacement chose replacement
They will email you a shipping label for the old unit you then pack it up and send it back
Within a week(or less) you would have a new replacement
Amazon will take it back and it's hassle free
I personally haven't dealt with dji's customer service(contacted via email once for a fc40 phantom and when they said 2-3 week turnaround I just flew my bird as it was and I think it had a cracked gps antenna as it took a lot longer then it should have to find a signal)
Have the shipping company stop shipment on it asap(goto there site or call them) tell them you want the package returned to you and they will stop it where it's at and send it back to you
I hope you the best and I hate to hear your phantom did what it did
Here is sites for the both ups and FedEx
www.ups.com
www.fedex.com
Go to the contact page of the shipping carrier they used to pick up your phantom and tell them
You want it returned to you (it doesn't matter if it got there or not)

general01 said:

Go to your account->order history and click on the item(eg your phantom) and click return

In the box it gives and option list pick defective and say it went out of control and crashed

They will email you a shipping label for the old unit you then pack it up and send it back
I personally haven't dealt with dji's customer service(contacted via email once for a fc40 phantom and when they said 2-3 week turnaround I just flew my bird as it was and I think it had a cracked gps antenna as it took a lot longer then it should have to find a signal)
Have the shipping company stop shipment on it asap(goto there site or call them) tell them you want the package returned to you and they will stop it where it's at and send it back to you
http://www.ups.com
http://www.fedex.com
Go to the contact page of the shipping carrier they used to pick up your phantom and tell them

Is there any downside to letting it go back to DJI and then if I'm not happy with their answer, returning it through Amazon? Thanks for all your advice so far everyone.

Also, I went to Amazon and tried the process just to see what happened and it did NOT give me the option for replacement. It only gave me the option for refund and said it had to be review and approved by the dealer. I did not continue on with the process at this point. This tells me that the dealer is not going to deal with it, considering when I contacted them directly they told me my only option was to send to DJI.

So is Amazon the best place to purchase these in case there is a failure causing it to crash???
I've been hearing DJI is terrible at answering their phones

general01 said:

I believe that is only true if it is fulfilled by amazon. If it isnt fulfilled by amazon you have to work directly with the seller... and I have had sellers refuse to accept a return in the past. However, when it is fulfilled by Amazon, it is a very painless process indeed!

dbfletcher said:
general01 said:

I believe that is only true if it is fulfilled by amazon. If it isnt fulfilled by amazon you have to work directly with the seller... and I have had sellers refuse to accept a return in the past. However, when it is fulfilled by Amazon, it is a very painless process indeed!

This has been my experience as well. If it was fulfilled by Amazon, they are your point of contact and the replacement option shows up. Otherwise, returns have had to been approved by dealer even though I technically bought it on Amazon.

Most or all of the responses to this thread are about the return process. Which is really what the OP has asked for. BUT what about his flyaway and crash?

Is there something about landing and taking off again?

I would ask the OP if while resting after the first segment, did you power cycle the phantom before taking off again, or just leave it powered on with motors off, or powered on with motors on? Wonder what it was trying to do when it ascended on its own then flew off in some direction away from you, then powered off in mid air. That sounds like it was possible attempting an RTH or return to within the geofence. But why? But considering the behavior, possibly the home point on second takeoff was somewhere else besides the original home point? It is easy to say "Oh it just malfunctioned, return it", but I would like all the experts to weigh in on possible causes to help us all going forward.

I had a similar experience to you with my first P2V+. It unexpectedly lost power (I could hear the props shut off at about 150-200' altitude) and watched it plummet to its destruction. I had 9 satellites and 63% battery when this happened. I bought it on Amazon via it's fulfillment program (3rd party seller). I returned it to Amazon and had a full refund within about a week. I then turned around and bought a more expensive model P2V+V3 but it has been sitting unflown while I negotiate with the actual seller (Coptershop via Amazon) on how to get the proper ESC's in it. If I don't get the right answers within another day or so I'm shipping it back to Amazon and will wait a few months to re-purchase. By then hopefully DJI will have smartened up and all of the faulty quads will be worked out of the retail chain.

I don't understand how trying to return it through amazon is gonna do me any good guys...? The reason I'm confused is because if I try to go to the return process and click "defective" it then only offers me the option to ask the dealer for a refund which they must approve. It doesn't say a thing about shipping back to Amazon or anything.

BlackTracer said:
Most or all of the responses to this thread are about the return process. Which is really what the OP has asked for. BUT what about his flyaway and crash?

I would ask the OP if while resting after the first segment, did you power cycle the phantom before taking off again, or just leave it powered on with motors off, or powered on with motors on? Wonder what it was trying to do when it ascended on its own then flew off in some direction away from you, then powered off in mid air. That sounds like it was possible attempting an RTH or return to within the geofence. But why? But considering the behavior, possibly the home point on second takeoff was somewhere else besides the original home point? It is easy to say "Oh it just malfunctioned, return it", but I would like all the experts to weigh in on possible causes to help us all going forward.

I did not power cycle the phantom before taking off again. I did land it probably 50 feet from the original launch point at the first flight. I landed it after approximately a 6 minute flight and shortly after landing I took off again. However, it did not appear to me that the unit was flying back to where it took off from originally. I am still just sick over this. I only flew it a handful of times before this happened, but I NEVER flew it if it had less than 8 minutes of battery life. I never wanted to take that risk, although I know it supposedly has the features to prevent a crash due to battery drain. I would never risk such a large investment. Is there a test DJI can run to see what went wrong? Is there some sort of flight data they can examine? I only hope that DJI will stand behind me on this issue. Thank you for your input.

bhollis84 said:
BlackTracer said:

I did not power cycle the phantom before taking off again. I did land it probably 50 feet from the original launch point at the first flight. I landed it after approximately a 6 minute flight and shortly after landing I took off again. However, it did not appear to me that the unit was flying back to where it took off from originally. I am still just sick over this. I only flew it a handful of times before this happened, but I NEVER flew it if it had less than 8 minutes of battery life. I never wanted to take that risk, although I know it supposedly has the features to prevent a crash due to battery drain. I would never risk such a large investment. Is there a test DJI can run to see what went wrong? Is there some sort of flight data they can examine? I only hope that DJI will stand behind me on this issue. Thank you for your input.

The phantom has failsafes in it to prevent a low battery crash and it will return to home of the battery runs low(around 20%)so you can run it even with 8 mins of time left on the clock in the app

The home point is set normally at first power up after it finds 6+ sats
If this is a version 3 phantom vision plus it's possible the esc or motor wiring could be at fault

The home point is set normally at first power up after it finds 6+ sats
If this is a version 3 phantom vision plus it's possible the esc or motor wiring could be at fault

Exactly my point... The battery was no where near close to being dead and even if it had some sort of fault or issue and drained prematurely, wouldn't the phantom automatically try to land? I know it's set to "Return to Home" on critical battery, but also won't it land wherever it is if it reaches a low level and can't make it to "home"? I KNOW for a FACT that I had ample battery left and that is also evidenced by the fact that after the crash, the battery charge level still showed 3 lit LED lights. Thank you for the response!

I also have manual mode ready and I have practiced using that just in case I need to stop it from flying away.

Just a thought, maybe someone GPS jammed your bird so in GPS mode you cannot control it, and when you set to return home it returns to a different home ? It crashed maybe they feed the wrong GPS altitude to it ?

Regarding the V3 ESC wiring theory, do you see anything burned with the ESC and motor ?

unclebob said:
I also have manual mode ready and I have practiced using that just in case I need to stop it from flying away.

Just a thought, maybe someone GPS jammed your bird so in GPS mode you cannot control it, and when you set to return home it returns to a different home ? It crashed maybe they feed the wrong GPS altitude to it ?

Regarding the V3 ESC wiring theory, do you see anything burned with the ESC and motor ?

I saw no evidence of burning on the outside of the phantom. I was afraid to do anything to do it since it's a warrant issue, so I packaged all up in the factory box and placed inside another box and shipped back to DJI. Should be in their hands tomorrow of Friday, so I hope to hear something soon.

bhollis, these guys with amazon experience are right as long as amazon still functions the way they know it to.

The dealer was somewhat right in telling you they can no longer do warranty claims. Actually what it is, dji does not stock the dealers with warranty parts or replacement quad that need to be warrantied. So they are left with telling each owner that all warranty items are to be shipped straight to dji. I think there was a time that dji purposely created a bottle neck at their deals just to slow the claims down giving dji time to get customers dealt with. But now that dji has several additional locations, these locations can now deal with all incoming claims.

As I mentioned near the beginning of this thread, we both have had similar situations. The only main difference is mine was sent a day or two before yours to dji. I will gladly help guide you should you need it.

Btw, your quad had the wrong firmware for the ESC's.

bhollis84 said:
I don't understand how trying to return it through amazon is gonna do me any good guys...? The reason I'm confused is because if I try to go to the return process and click "defective" it then only offers me the option to ask the dealer for a refund which they must approve. It doesn't say a thing about shipping back to Amazon or anything.
You need to stop crying and get in touch with an Amazon customer rep.

There are literally dozens of stories in here about people simply emailing Amazon and telling them that a Phantom crashed or flew away and Amazon SHIPS YOU A FREE REPLACEMENT !!

Don't try to get it warranty repaired by DJI. It will be lost in China forever and you'll never see it again.

MadMitch88 said:
bhollis84 said:
You need to stop crying and get in touch with an Amazon customer rep.

There are literally dozens of stories in here about people simply emailing Amazon and telling them that a Phantom crashed or flew away and Amazon SHIPS YOU A FREE REPLACEMENT !!

Don't try to get it warranty repaired by DJI. It will be lost in China forever and you'll never see it again.

FYI, I contacted Amazon and they said since it wasn't "sold and shipped" by Amazon, I had to go through the dealer. They said if if the order had been fulfilled by Amazon they would have sent me another. Had I known this previously, I would've had made sure when I placed the order it was an order that was sold and shipped by Amazon. I did file a claim with Amazon that covers me under the A to Z guarantee if DJI doesn't warranty repair it. The good news is, DJI had me send it to their customer service center in California that they have now, so it isn't being shipped to China.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31