Taking credit for photos / publishing photos.

Then you would have no objection to closing every advice to neophytes telling them to ignore the rules and fly commercially with:" I will pay for any attorney fees you may incur in following my advice." It's called putting your money where your mouth is."
Yet again, another example of you lacking a grasp of reality. "eod", as you put it.

Yet again, another example of you lacking a grasp of reality. "eod", as you put it.
Yet again, another example of you being quick to offer bad advice but not so fast to accept responsibility.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO FLY FOR MONEY - or economic reward- UNLESS you hold a UAV operators certificate- issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

Granted this is in Australia - is it different in the USA??

Don't know about Australia, but as it applies in the USA, if you fly for recreation or hobby or your own personal photography, that is not commercial.

Suppose I fly over a golf course and post the video on YouTube. Later, the golf course approaches me and offers money for the video. This does NOT constitute a commercial flight, if the original intent was purely recreational. I may sell the rights to the video. (Whether the IRS considers it income or not is a separate topic as I was only referring to commercial flight and the FAA.)

I will NOT pay your legal fees, even though I believe this information to be accurate. MOD (middle of discussion.)

Reactions: dirkclod
Yet again, another example of you being quick to offer bad advice but not so fast to accept responsibility.

It's not advice, period. It's a statement of the reality of the commerce potential of this industry, as it stands today.

These threads always end up in arguments and fear mongering. Some people live with "what if's" and watch over their shoulder every day. Some people live life and enjoy it responsibly. I imagine everyone here that says they follow the FAA rules 100% have also never downloaded a song without paying for it and always follow speed limits, come to complete stops at stop signs, etc. I think the OP got scared away. Haha

These threads always end up in arguments and fear mongering. Some people live with "what if's" and watch over their shoulder every day. Some people live life and enjoy it responsibly. I imagine everyone here that says they follow the FAA rules 100% have also never downloaded a song without paying for it and always follow speed limits, come to complete stops at stop signs, etc. I think the OP got scared away. Haha
never downloaded a song without paying for it (nope) and always follow speed limits (yes), come to complete stops at stop signs(yes), and walk little old ladies across the street. Don't judge everyone by your standards.:eek:

I judge everyone by my standards.

Also, sometimes I drive 26 mph through the school zone when I'm feeling dangerous.

Ha I didn't. Just got preoccupied over the weekend.. I just want to be legit anyway possible and follow rules so I don't cause a problem for anyone else.

never downloaded a song without paying for it (nope) and always follow speed limits (yes), come to complete stops at stop signs(yes), and walk little old ladies across the street. Don't judge everyone by your standards.:eek:
HAHAHA You will have us all believe you are a perfect angel and always have been your whole life? No one is. Even those that believe in a god and are supposed to be the voice of their god have follies. No one is perfect and everyone has broken a law at some point. It's human nature to not observe authority. But, I don't want to get into an argument about peoples personal details and flaws. If Adam is informed of the so called rules and regulations, he can make his own decision based on what he perceives the risk level to be, but the fearmongers will always be here with unsubstantiated men-in-black theories.

Reactions: 750r

+1!

Ha I didn't. Just got preoccupied over the weekend.. I just want to be legit anyway possible and follow rules so I don't cause a problem for anyone else.

On the photography side... I am a sports photographer, and usually the NCAA prohibits sales of photos from any college game. I shoot at Providence College hockey and basketball games, and every year before they give me my credential they remind me that I can't sell pics. As for high school, I am also a computer tech for a school department, and I shoot their high school sports, and parents buy them. As long as you have permission from the AD at the school you should be fine.

Hope this bit of info helps....

Recently a couple colleges / high schools have been wanting my photos just a good marketing tool for their school system and sports.. I've taken alot of shots but don't know how else to proceed. I've only asked for credit for the photos which I believe is still legal to my standards but I'm not sure how Uncle Sam feels about the issue. I can't sell the photos so thats obviously out of the question.

Thoughts? I remember seeing a post awhile ago about a user posting steps talking about this same topic but I can't find it. I've researched the 333 exemption but that seems to be a pain in the *** for what it's worth.

If you're not exchanging money, I'm not really sure what the concern is. Why would Uncle Sam care? I would probably get the school to sign something saying it's ok for you to fly over the property just in case something was to happen. If they don't want to do that, then don't fly over the property. Simple as that. Them not giving you photo credit is wrong. That would be something you could pursue legally, but it wouldn't be worth it. Are they wanting the digital files to use as they see fit?

They ended up giving me credit.. Small font at the bottom but still credit. I've asked going forward to enhance the font so it's easily seen by other viewers.

Reactions: 750r and acherman
They ended up giving me credit.. Small font at the bottom but still credit. I've asked going forward to enhance the font so it's easily seen by other viewers.

That's cool. If I can't sell them, that's what I ask for too...

My only hope now is to just blow up the photo and put it in my office for my own viewing pleasure. Office wall is looking plain anyways.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441032499.159659.jpg

The photo being used btw.. 340ft in the air on this shot.

Reactions: 750r and acherman
Nice! The college stuff I do is in the winter, inside, so that wouldn't work for me... lol...

And I shoot a lot of AAA baseball in the summer, but MiLB rules strictly prohibit drones at or near MiLB ballparks. The team I shoot for might have me do some aerial location shots after the season is over.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl