taking apart a smart battery

Reaction score
I had my first real crash today. I was practicing POI around a tree and I got too close. The tree ate my Phantom.
It was stuck in the tree 20 feet up. I climbed the tree to get it. I was a foot away when it dropped to the ground. The battery popped out and now it wont turn on. The grey box inside of the white plastic cage is loose now and slides back and forth longways. I am trying to get the end cap off so I can fix it. I'm sure a wire pulled loose.
How do I get that end cap off? It seems that there are about 8 little locking tabs, 2 on each side.
Anybody take these apart before?

On the bright side I checked the props, popped in another battery and took off flying again. The battery was the only casualty. Tuff little bird.

The locking tabs are the only thing holding the cap on. The problem is that you need to pry about 3 of them at the same time before the cap will begin to move.
It helps to have an extra set of hands.

If battery is damaged its best not to mess with it or trust it. Remember that's what keeps the Phantom in the air. Any hard crash that effects the battery, well from then on its a gamble. To me a $100 battery is not worth a $ 1200 quad. Just my thoughts.

I got the cap off and I got the white cage split apart.
I have it all apart on my desk.
Everything looks intact. No pulled wires. No visible signs of damage.
It just won't power up or do anything.
Does anyone know if all these little metal tabs going from the battery to that little card, are they supposed to be straight?
Is this what might have happened in my crash?
20150615_172304.jpg

The tabs (terminals) from the battery to the board do tend to get bent during a crash, but that's usually not an issue, unless they short against each other.

I had a problem battery that wouldn't do anything. Turns out the button stopped working. I was able to repair it.

I haven't checked the button with a meter because I can hear and feel it clicking.
If it's clicking I assume it's working.
Oh well...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl