Tail of the Dragon: Updated additional video-nice

Reaction score
Mounted P4 on back of my bike as experiment to catch bikes in lean on sharp corners at "Tail of the Dragon" at Deals Gap. I had a slightly bent front brake rotor that made the camera shutter as I hit the apex of the curve messing up the video right where I wanted the shot. Will try again couple of weeks after fixing brakes and try different ways of mounting. I left the tail of my bike in one clip to show how much vibration the drone deals with, and nice job the yaw tracking does. Also could use a smoother bike and a faster driver.

Updated Version:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
My dream to run the tail...

Interesting thought... with all the Go Pro vids, there must have been some pointing and smiling at a P4 strapped to a bike!!

All the GoPro videos I've seen the view leans with the bike, where as the drone camera stays level up to a point, I just had the shutter problem right at the worse time when I hit the brakes when the trailing bike was at the most lean. P4 was strapped down on back seat with some padding in between, will try different ways of mounting to isolate vibration more, and try on front of bike. Ideas?

Last edited:
Ah my neck of the woods. I've seen some pretty brutal crashes on that stretch of the road. We even had a good friend who was in the back of the pack drive off the road and they didn't find her for a couple of hours. She never hit the brakes and the vegetation concealed where she went into the woods.

Great video can't wait to see version #2 :)

Ah my neck of the woods. I've seen some pretty brutal crashes on that stretch of the road. We even had a good friend who was in the back of the pack drive off the road and they didn't find her for a couple of hours. She never hit the brakes and the vegetation concealed where she went into the woods.

I have to ask...was she alright after the fact? I'm guessing after a couple of hours she was incapacitated or unconscious.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have to ask...was she alright after the fact? I'm guessing after a couple of hours she was incapacitated or unconscious.

Yes she was alright. She had been drinking (very VERY bad idea in any situation but this one especially) and she was knocked unconscious from hitting a tree but then stumbled through the woods away from her bike and confused. Initially her prognosis wasn't very good but 3 years later she's fit as a fiddle after a few minor cosmetic surgeries. I've told her several times, "You're lucky you hit your head on the tree....it's the hardest part of you" LOL

I have to admit, she was VERY lucky in so many ways.

Riding the Tail of the Dragon on a sport bike has been the most exhilarating thing I've done, more than acrobatic flying. But each trip I push my limits(never crashed-so really don't know the limit)to the point I scare myself back to earth. A very dangerous road, majority of it there is no room for error, mountain rock one side, trees and cliff on the other. Combine that with the often idiots pushing beyond their limits taking half or more of your lane coming around a blind corner(my biggest fear)(and I'm an idiot but at least I stay in my lane) Similar and milder roads all over the place around there, it's a Mecca. Glad your friend is ok, seen lots of crashes there myself, and always see fresh bark missing off trees along the Dragon, this trip couple trees knocked over. What do you ride?

Riding the Tail of the Dragon on a sport bike has been the most exhilarating thing I've done, more than acrobatic flying. But each trip I push my limits(never crashed-so really don't know the limit)to the point I scare myself back to earth. A very dangerous road, majority of it there is no room for error, mountain rock one side, trees and cliff on the other. Combine that with the often idiots pushing beyond their limits taking half or more of your lane coming around a blind corner(my biggest fear)(and I'm an idiot but at least I stay in my lane) Similar and milder roads all over the place around there, it's a Mecca. Glad your friend is ok, seen lots of crashes there myself, and always see fresh bark missing off trees along the Dragon, this trip couple trees knocked over. What do you ride?

Oh I'm too big and clumsy and have no self control to own/ride a bike. I love SPEED and ADRENALINE so when you combine that with clumsy you get a greasy spot on the highway. My friends are hardcore "Harley" and they are normally fairly laid back and easy going. There's always "that one time".

We have friends who have a house on Lake Fontana so we get over there fairly often as it's not far (maybe 45min or so) from where I live near Maggie Valley NC.

My goal was to get all the dams in the area with litchi missions plotted for each one, and whatever shots of bikers on the Dragon(and hwy 28-my favorite)without being a distraction. But most of the gps maps would not load due to no cell service to hotspot from the phone, lack of iPad storage must have not saved the gps mission maps made at home before trip. So instead of getting Fontana Dam this trip I filmed the neat vertical mountain wall next to the dam where 28 crosses over the river. Know the spot?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers