Swellpro waterproof drone full review

Reaction score
Ocean Imaging took Swellpro's Splash Drone 3 to Greenland, to put this waterproof drone to the ultimate test.

“We really wanted this drone to be a success story because it promised everything we wanted in a drone. Stable 4K filming and waterproof”

While the thought of a waterproof does sound very appealing, this product really performed poorly. While being waterproof is a great feature, it’s completely undermined by inconsistent performance and poor image quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donatas
this product really performed poorly. While being waterproof is a great feature, it’s completely undermined by inconsistent performance and poor image quality.
The specs don't seem very promising.
On paper it's an overweight P3 Standard with half the flight time.
I'd go with proper performance and a good camera rather than splashproofing every time.

The specs don't seem very promising.
On paper it's an overweight P3 Standard with half the flight time.
I'd go with proper performance and a good camera rather than splashproofing every time.

We totally agree!

While opening and closing the battery compartment can be time consuming and tiring, I have experienced no issues of water invasion.

I am not a “photographer” and haven’t bothered to change factory settings on my camera, so the lack of ease or in flight changes is not a prob for me. However, I have not experienced any issues with stability of the camera in flight, as you did!

Also, I regularly get flight times approaching 20 minutes (15 minutes in temperatures below freezing down to 20deg F). You can also piggyback two smaller than standard issue issue batteries in parallel and insert them into the compartment to extend flight time.

I have never experienced the spontaneous crash dive that you did.

I have the black camera and it has never failed to respond, but I have never immersed it in salt water ( lakes only and rain/fog).

The camera does require horizontal leveling during flight panoramas in my experience.

You can take it off return home or auto land as it comes down by manually controlling on descent; even to the point of adjusting altitude in my experience ( albeit limited in duration).

I am very happy with mine, but it is not for everyone.

Have you seen the new SPRY?
Perhaps you would like to test it in your conditions?

SPRY: A waterproof drone that submerges under water & flies

It may resolve a number of your complaints; but not all , I am sure.
Totally waterproof including controller and with external accessory connections in a more Mavic-like format. Definitely a watersport drone with 4K camera.

P.s. I have no commercial relationship with SwellPro! Nor do I have any interest in their economic success other than I would like to continue to purchase and use their fine products.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj