Super Bowl Drones. Inspiring or Depressing?

rmb

Reaction score
Like most of you I was more than impressed to see 300 drones programed and piloted so precisely by a couple of laptop computers. As a guy that bothered to get FAA approved and insured to legally do business, I must ask this:
After seeing the ease at which these 300 UAVs could be piloted at a level of precision that a mortal pilot could not possibly do (especially in the dark) It did get me to wondering if we as UAV pilots are a very temporary necessity in this burgeoning industry?

Love to hear thoughts on this.

rb

I was disappointed by the drones at the Super Bowl - I expected them to have a more prominent role. And since it was actually pre-recorded it was even more disappointing. However, the first quad-rotor aircraft I ever saw (on youtube) years ago were computer controlled, and I presumed that that capability is what led to the technology we have today. I doubt most clients will need or be able to afford a fleet of hundreds of drones. A skilled pilot is needed in every new situation.

Look for all transport to become less human dependant. It has been demonstrated in many types already and will continue to occur.
Manufacturing saw this behin 3 decades ago and continues to evolve today.

Last edited:
I saw Tethered Drones only, did you see untethered.
I only saw the Intel Shooting Star drones, which are untethered. Where did you see tethered drones?

Like most of you I was more than impressed to see 300 drones programed and piloted so precisely by a couple of laptop computers. As a guy that bothered to get FAA approved and insured to legally do business, I must ask this:
After seeing the ease at which these 300 UAVs could be piloted at a level of precision that a mortal pilot could not possibly do (especially in the dark) It did get me to wondering if we as UAV pilots are a very temporary necessity in this burgeoning industry?

Love to hear thoughts on this.

rb
I think that is an apples to oranges kind of comparison. The Intel drones are programmed to perform as light show and are designed to do only that. No camera, just a big LED display. It does one thing and does it very well. They were not being piloted, they were running an elaborate program.

When a town in flooded, and emergency management needs to quickly see what is going on, an experienced drone pilot getting 20 minutes of storm damage will much more useful than 300 drones spelling out "Looks Like Rain" in changing colors.

Keep an eye out for what Intel is doing. They could be a serious competitor to DJI in a couple of years.

Reactions: jakobe75
What you seen was this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The guy in the video says its the coolest thing remote camera and nothing is more fun then that..I bet he wouldn't say that now, since that's an old video. If he still thinks that way, someone needs to get him a inspire lol.

I think that is an apples to oranges kind of comparison. The Intel drones are programmed to perform as light show and are designed to do only that. No camera, just a big LED display. It does one thing and does it very well. They were not being piloted, they were running an elaborate program.

When a town in flooded, and emergency management needs to quickly see what is going on, an experienced drone pilot getting 20 minutes of storm damage will much more useful than 300 drones spelling out "Looks Like Rain" in changing colors.

Keep an eye out for what Intel is doing. They could be a serious competitor to DJI in a couple of years.
I guess right anotherlab. It just seems as if they can program something so precisely they can easily program a phantom togo to a tower, enter POV mod, circle slowly at 2 MPH and take a series of inspection photos, etc. Don't get me wrong I don't see them as a threat yet. Hell the unlicensed kid down the block that now does real estate photos and video for $30 bucks a house is thing thats killing me!

Reactions: jakobe75
I don't think that Intel is going to target the consumer market at the level of a Phantom or Mavic. They'll go after the commercial users, where it makes sense to have drones that can follow precise programs to survey sites. Their other market is supplying subsystems to drone makes, like their vision system to Yuneec.

They'll still sell kits to let hobbyists make their own drones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.