Sun Box

Reaction score
I haven't been able to see my tablet screen very well in any amount of sunlight, despite trying a sun shade, anti-glare screen protector, turning up the screen brightness, etc. Nothing worked well and it always felt like I was flying half-blind. So I decided to construct a sun box out of white 3/16" foam core board. It looks a bit bulky, but it is extremely lightweight and easy to look into.

I tested it to day at a large industrial property and it works great! Pretty much a poor man's goggles. In full sunlight, I was able to see every detail of the screen and even read the altitude, distance, speed, sats, etc. I've never flown with so much confidence and it was a great day in the air. Sorry for my excitement, but I had to share. LOL. I love it when a plan comes together.

Attachments

• IMG_0045a.jpg
    IMG_0045a.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_0047a.jpg
    IMG_0047a.jpg
    674.5 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_0048a.jpg
    IMG_0048a.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 936
Nice Mapmaker. You had same idea I had with Nexus 7 tablet. Made mine from a black plastic office file box purchased at Wally World. Yours looks lighter though. I left a 2 inch slit at the bottom below tablet for access to the screen app. controls. Makes a world of difference. Bright sun in the desert is no problem.

Yes, I left a 2" slot at the bottom so I could reach in and access the screen app. (Originally, I had made the opening too large - so I added a piece to close it up a bit.) The sun box easily lifts off should I need to remove it in a pinch. I thought it might be a little awkward to use today, but it wasn't. Foam core board can be purchased at most art supply stores if anyone wants a project. I also added a strip of adhesive foam insulation (sold for doors) around the opening for some added comfort.

Interesting. So if you are out flying, first you do the dance and then you start looking in the box, and of course turning to keep the antenna properly pointed at the Phantom. I wonder what people will think! :)

I made one of the 3/16" foamboard also but black rather than white. Also the bottom panel is a flip up door with pin hinges at the front. That leaves access to the touchscreen and then drops back down into place.

Edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Microscope- ... OC:US:3160

Could add some eyepieces and make it look like a factory job. :)

MapMaker, what kind of tape did you use around the edges?

I made a prototype of a sun box for my iPad, to use with the Ground Station app. I cut it out of a fairly good quality cardboard box, duct taped the edges and then sprayed it with matte black paint. It works so well I'm still using it several months later.

One side of my sun box is open, so that I can sit back in a chair to view the iPad rather than having to press my face against the box. The box sits on a matching piece of very thin plywood which is attached to a thrift store tripod.

npalen said:
I made one of the 3/16" foamboard also but black rather than white. Also the bottom panel is a flip up door with pin hinges at the front. That leaves access to the touchscreen and then drops back down into place.

I had considered doing that, but seemed to me the flipped up underside door/hatch would block your view of the screen as you looked into the viewing end. Maybe I'm not correct;y picturing what you did.

GearLoose said:
MapMaker, what kind of tape did you use around the edges?

Just white masking tape. Also found at local art stores.

rbhamilton said:
OMG... you totally invented the Star Trek Original Series Science Station! Awesome.

Holy cow. How did you ever recall that? We must have a real Trekkie among us. Maybe I should name my drone the Enterprise. (I actually met Leonard Nimoy at a college lecture back in 1974 who told the disappointed crowd that there were no plans for a Star Trek movie.)

I had considered doing that, but seemed to me the flipped up underside door/hatch would block your view of the screen as you looked into the viewing end. Maybe I'm not correct;y picturing what you did.
Yes, it blocks the normal view but it opens up a new view as you look at and operate the touchscreen "under" the flipped up door.

npalen said:
Yes, it blocks the normal view but it opens up a new view as you look at and operate the touchscreen "under" the flipped up door.

Personally, I didn't want to have to take my eyes off the viewing port in order to access the screen. I suppose a flip DOWN access door that has a velcro latch would work well for that -- but I find the 2" slot method (I might adjust this to 3") works without any glare falling onto the screen. Funny thing is I get so engrossed in the FPV while looking into the box because the view is so clear that I suddenly realize that I have the bird flying BEHIND me and I'm not facing it anymore. Haven't lost signal yet as a result, but I also have not been flying it that far out from me when I fly some sites.

Might be able to, but then you would have to hold the rc closer to your face. With this setup, I can still hold the rc at the naturally comfortable distance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl