summersaulting on coffee's app?

Things like this have nothing to do with the app (ilovecoffee's mods) or otherwise. The app simply uploads missions to the phantom (waypoints, etc), and the phantom does the rest. The app has nothing to do with the phantom while the mission is in progress.

With that said, I've never had this happen in any of my flights. This certainly looks like a loss of power and the max tilt-angle being exceeded which makes the camera gimble go limp.. so the question is.. why did the phantom tilt so sharply?...

and do it 4 times?... something in the power-train must not be 100% on that phantom.. (perhaps even a single motor or ESC..)..

I would expect that something VERY similar must happen by just flying it around normally.. if it hasn't yet, maybe it will at some point.. I'd be very careful until some kind of physical explanation is found..

*edit*.. sorry just read that last post where you said you observed a motor issue.. the most common problems are ESC related.. and should be covered under warranty.

Jayson Hanes said:
Things like this have nothing to do with the app (ilovecoffee's mods) or otherwise. The app simply uploads missions to the phantom (waypoints, etc), and the phantom does the rest. The app has nothing to do with the phantom while the mission is in progress.

With that said, I've never had this happen in any of my flights. This certainly looks like a loss of power and the max tilt-angle being exceeded which makes the camera gimble go limp.. so the question is.. why did the phantom tilt so sharply?...

and do it 4 times?... something in the power-train must not be 100% on that phantom.. (perhaps even a single motor or ESC..)..

I would expect that something VERY similar must happen by just flying it around normally.. if it hasn't yet, maybe it will at some point.. I'd be very careful until some kind of physical explanation is found..

*edit*.. sorry just read that last post where you said you observed a motor issue.. the most common problems are ESC related.. and should be covered under warranty.
I agree this has nothing to do with coffee's mod, the right rear v2.1 ESC is failing. As such I will take the good camera off of it and put it on to #2 that has the jacked up gimbel and send #1 back so I can still fly.

Texphantom said:
djsydvicious said:
Videos and Forum Threads like these have me considering removing my "If Found, Please Call 555-555-5555" Stickers

Very true. I'm still debating whether to put on such a sticker.

I agree.. I had reservations as well. But in the end I decided it was better to do the right thing.. and be willing to take the consequences for any damage that might occur for a mid flight failure or even pilot error. Not to sound preachy... but society as a whole needs to get back to "be accountable for ones actions"

dbfletcher said:
Texphantom said:
djsydvicious said:
Videos and Forum Threads like these have me considering removing my "If Found, Please Call 555-555-5555" Stickers

I agree.. I had reservations as well. But in the end I decided it was better to do the right thing.. and be willing to take the consequences for any damage that might occur for a mid flight failure or even pilot error. Not to sound preachy... but society has a whole need to get back to "be accountable for ones actions"

well said.

dbfletcher said:
Texphantom said:
djsydvicious said:

I agree.. I had reservations as well. But in the end I decided it was better to do the right thing.. and be willing to take the consequences for any damage that might occur for a mid flight failure or even pilot error. Not to sound preachy... but society as a whole needs to get back to "be accountable for ones actions"
not only that, but that's why we have insurance.

dalebb said:
Jayson Hanes said:

I agree this has nothing to do with coffee's mod, the right rear v2.1 ESC is failing. As such I will take the good camera off of it and put it on to #2 that has the jacked up gimbel and send #1 back so I can still fly.
after sitting here and debating about what to do, it would be best to take out a ESC from #2 and put it in #1, that would be the fast way to fix the problem.

dalebb said:
dbfletcher said:
Texphantom said:
djsydvicious said:

not only that, but that's why we have insurance.
What type of insurance do you have?

Very true. I'm still debating whether to put on such a sticker.[/quote]

I agree.. I had reservations as well. But in the end I decided it was better to do the right thing.. and be willing to take the consequences for any damage that might occur for a mid flight failure or even pilot error. Not to sound preachy... but society as a whole needs to get back to "be accountable for ones actions"[/quote]
not only that, but that's why we have insurance.[/quote]
What type of insurance do you have?[/quote]
home owner insurance.

djsydvicious said:
It would surprise me if Home Owner's Insurance would cover a liability claim for a quad falling on people.
It does and should.. there are different liability amounts of course.. I am covered similarly with renters insurance (for liability and loss/damage).. it's no different than say, if you are on a balcony and you accidentally drop a DSLR camera out of your hands on onto people below.. you're covered.

Really? You can be flying your quad at a park and seriously injure a kid with it and Home Owner's Insurance will cover that? Has your insurance agent confirmed that? I hope it's true.

Personally, I joined the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) as a hobbyist and put my membership number on my quad for coverage. As an annual member, you get $2.5M in liability insurance coverage.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/

I agree with MapMaker on the AMA insurance plan. Either $48 or $58 per year depending on your age and you get tremendous coverage (liability and medical). Plus a magazine subscription. And you don't have to worry about your Homeowners insurance company finding an excuse not to pay or raising your rates. If you haven't yet, you should look into it.

MapMaker53 said:
Really? You can be flying your quad at a park and seriously injure a kid with it and Home Owner's Insurance will cover that? Has your insurance agent confirmed that? I hope it's true.

Personally, I joined the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) as a hobbyist and put my membership number on my quad for coverage. As an annual member, you get $2.5M in liability insurance coverage.

Great idea. I'll do the same.

MapMaker53 said:

I like that.

Mopar Bob said:
I agree with MapMaker on the AMA insurance plan. Either $48 or $58 per year depending on your age and you get tremendous coverage (liability and medical). Plus a magazine subscription. And you don't have to worry about your Homeowners insurance company finding an excuse not to pay or raising your rates. If you haven't yet, you should look into it.
I'm signing up this week for membership!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl