summersaulting on coffee's app?

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this? Love your app btw Coffee. So I did some test runs in view, (LOS) yesterday. Then today I did a half mile run to a job site. First run was a one way point run to see how it would do. It went great, had a smoke while I lost contact to calm myself waiting for it to come back and back it did. downloaded the video and said cool. So i set up a second GS run to the job site with 5 way points at the job site about half a mile away. I took it up and hit go and it uploaded the way points and away it went. I lost contact and have another smoke listening for it to come back. It came back, yea and stuff. So I download the video and to my shock I see it has done 4 summersaults, (I looked at it frame by frame). You can imagine my shock.

So my question is have any of you seen this happen before? Did I fly into an updraft or dust devil? WTF happened? So glad I was at 200 feet.

Not blaming you coffee, great app, just wondering wtf?
http://youtu.be/DR5ktSzkEzg

Holy crap. I'd say a bird attacking it from above or behind, but a bird would clearly loose it's thin legs upon first contact with the props so multiple attacks I think would probably be unlikely. And you probably would have caught sight of it on the video as it tumbled. So I have no idea what would have caused that behavior multiple times besides maybe a firmware glitch. I've never seen anyone doing flips just because sats drop and change from GPS mode to ATT mode. You're very lucky because it obviously dropped a lot in altitude on each flip.

If you've ever played around with the Phantom on the ground without props to test the gimbal, you'll quickly learn it goes "limp" after it tips past a certain angle, and swiftly regains its composure when it comes back into a more level plane. I think this thing didn't ever do a full 360, but rather experienced a tug that threw it enough off balance for the cam to flail. Probably a bird tugging on it from the bottom?

Does your Phantom smell of birdseed or stale bread? Could explain everything.

I had this happen to mine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmEltRb-OzQ).

I saw it happened, it just flipped etc. Sent it back under warranty as I also had an issue with the camera being out of alignment. They replaced the main board & compass with the new one, hasn't done it since, but even after the video it never did it again, I think its to do with the wind updraughts and maybe maybe only hitting part of the quad causing one side to flip higher than the other.

But the support were not able to explain what occurred so I am unsure.

Your Lucky You Had Some Height, My First Time It Did It, It Nearly Ended Up In The Water.

On A Side Note I Wasn't Using The coffee App, Was Using The Stock App.

Videos and Forum Threads like these have me considering removing my "If Found, Please Call 555-555-5555" Stickers

ilovecoffee said:
Phew. Good to see my Bird Recovery Algorithm I programmed hard at work :D

Definitely looks like a bird attacking it... Or a faulty soldered ESC that lost power momentarily... But I doubt the latter. Or maybe a compass issue? Bizarre.
I took it to the park last night and it did the same thing, but I saw it do it this time and did it a couple more times as I was bringing it back to me. It would flip over and fall then recover, (no birds attacking it). I have it on the kitchen table now with no props on running and it seems the right rear motor is running amuck. yes right rear is freaking out. I will test my other bird too and post again. btw I have 9 sats on the kitchen table with video on.

Yea, a motor/esc intermittent operation or failure would seem a likely cause for the tumbling.

Well, of course I can't be sure, but I suspect it is your gimble that is at fault. I have some video that looks a lot like this and it is caused by my gimble going berserk for no reason that I can find.

Hotrod said:
Well, of course I can't be sure, but I suspect it is your gimble that is at fault. I have some video that looks a lot like this and it is caused by my gimble going berserk for no reason that I can find.

The OP states he observed this [tumbling] later when within LOS.

happydays said:
The motor issue must be intermittent as the aircraft recovers. Is anything loose inside the case?
I did open it up and can not see anything wrong inside. I put my #2 bird on the table and did the same test and it ran smooth other than the camera beeping at me cause the gimbel is jacked.

N017RW said:
Hotrod said:

The OP states he observed this [tumbling] later when within LOS.
Yes I saw it do it this time, and you can see in the video that it drops a lot then recovers and does it again, and again as I try to bring it back to me.
http://youtu.be/9SRyz44OwD4

dalebb said:
ilovecoffee said:
Phew. Good to see my Bird Recovery Algorithm I programmed hard at work :D

Definitely looks like a bird attacking it... Or a faulty soldered ESC that lost power momentarily... But I doubt the latter. Or maybe a compass issue? Bizarre.
I took it to the park last night and it did the same thing, but I saw it do it this time and did it a couple more times as I was bringing it back to me. It would flip over and fall then recover, (no birds attacking it). I have it on the kitchen table now with no props on running and it seems the right rear motor is running amuck. yes right rear is freaking out. I will test my other bird too and post again. btw I have 9 sats on the kitchen table with video on.
:shock:
You might have some magnetic particles stuck on the motor magnets. I would pull the c-clip off the bottom of that motor, and pull the bell off. Magnetic particles can be removed using putty (silly type).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl